windscreen wiper stopped working

jasper

on motorway other day in some mad rain and the left wiper just stopped working. i can move it around, its like its only held on by a bolt. the one thats working i cant move because the motor wont allow it but the left one is just floppy?? anyone know what it could be??

Mnie did this, dad fixed it though so cant be 100% sure on what he did :P

If you open the bonnet, there will be a arm, about 20 cm long that has probably come off the wiper of motor......

Dont think that makes much sense lol its hard to explain, just have a good look under the bonnet

itll have linkage going from the motor to the arms, more than likely the linkage has popped off the balljoint.

ahh nice one. i hope this is the case. i dont have to take anything out do i? just access it straight under the bonnet.? thanks

not sure on that mate never done one on a lupo, just seen it in hondas and fords. might have to take off the trims at the bottom of the windscreen and wiper arms. but i dont know for certain.

• 1 month later...

Hi mine has done this as well but where they clip back together it has worn away so it is too big a hole, i tried padding out the linkage bit to make it a tighter fit but that only holds for a min.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this without replacing the whole mechanism ? s that costs #45 quid to buy

just had to do this on mine. There are three parts, there's the main linkage, then there's two arms that connect onto the motor. The passenger side spindle had seized, so the motor was struggling to move, and it wore down the cap on the arm so it was loose. It ended up popping off when i tried to oil the spindle.

There is no way of fixing the spindle, sadly, it doesn't come off the main linkage. It's about 46 quid for a new one from vw, and the two arms are just over a tenner for the pair. You can get away with ordering one, but i thought i'd get the two so it's all new. The motor arm can be a bitch to take off when you're swapping it over.

As for getting to it.

Facing the engine, on the right side there are three screws on the scuttle panel, remove them and take off the piece of plastic that becomes loose.

Prise off the caps on the wiper arms and undo the nuts. You need to be gentle taking off the wiper arms. I found it easier to close the bonnet once the nuts were off.

Remove the rubbery stuff at the bottom of the scuttle panel, it sits on the rear bulkhead join, it should just lift off.

The scuttle panel itself clips into a groove just under the windscreen. There's probably a better way of doing this, but i lifted very gently at the edge and prised it out of the groove, then worked my way along. The plastic should unclip without cracking, but you need to be gentle with it. Once it's out, you can lift it out of the way.

The mechanism itself is on the driver's side, there are three bolts securing it to the car. If your left arm has popped off then it's going to be easy to get to the middle bolt, otherwise you'll need to turn the wipers on so the arms move out of the way.

Don't forget to unplug the power to the motor once you've got the bolts out, the whole mechanism should lift out then.

Fitting the arms is a ballache, they pop on easy with the help of a large set of mole grips, but it can be a pain to take them off (hence why i have to new arms in the boot of the car, and haven't yet fitted them ;)

Putting it back together, make sure you get the angles right on the arms, so when you refit the wiper arms they're in the correct positions.

WOW THANK YOU SO MUCH !!

We asked at VW about the part and they quoted 45 plus vat but was hoping could just get the bit - at th moment the gaffa tape seems to be holding but I'm sure that the second it starts raining this will go - not really convenient lol

Guess I'll have to order the bits in :)

Just a quick one that part that is on the picture that's disconnected is that part 6 or 7 finding it hard to figure out from the diagram. I think its 7 but can't be sure

Looking at the pic of mine with the mech out, i'd say that's the passenger side pivot (mech arm connects to underneath) but the arms coming in from the wrong side, so unless that car's a left hooker, i dunno.