Hifi / Surround sound help

Nicki

Hello boys & girls,

My Mum & Dad gave me some money for my birthday and I've decided I'm going to buy myself a hifi for my house. Found this one online which I like the look of:

http://www.richersounds.com/product/mini-hifi-systems/denon/dm37dab/deno-dm37-blk

... but it doesn't come with speakers so I have a couple of questions for you all knowing techy types...

Would I be able to connect this to my surround sound & use the surround sound speakers? Would the sound quality suffer from that? How easy would it be?

Ta muchly peeps :)

Assuming your surround sound speakers are just bare wire at the end that connects to the hifi then yes you can.

You won't be able to use all 5 or 7 though - only the front two.

The quality won't be affected. It'll be as good as the surround sound speakers are.

All of this is assuming that the surround sound speakers are rated greater than 30W (which I'd imagine they will be).

Hmmm... the ends that go into the DVD player have little plugs on. Assuming that means its a no-go then?

Incidentally, I can't find individual speaker ratings *anywhere* - not online, not on the speakers themselves, not in the tech specs, not the instruction manual... Not even the Samsung website gives them! The total speaker output is 850w so I'd be very surprised if the front 2 speakers are < 30w each!

The other alternative is just to buy a DAB tuner & use the surround sound as my CD player... It would be fairly easy to connect a DAB tuner to the surround sound wouldn't it? :huh:

Nicki, I had the same dilemna a short while back and went for a Sony DVD Home Theatre System DAV-DZ680W

Does everything one needs, DVD, MP3, iPod\iPhone dock, USB drive suport and comes with 4 speakers, 2 rear are wireless and can be set to play the same as the fronts (as opposed to surround) in a different room if your having a party. Only down sides are no DAB tuner, but it's connected to our Virgin Media box via an optic cable, so I don't actually need one and it only has one fibre connect meaning I can only have the Virgin box or the PS3 connected at any time.

But I'm pretty impressed with it!

http://www.richersounds.com/search/DAV-DZ680W

That price is good, I bought mine from the SONY Centre a I have too much money and no sense...

The leser DZ280 was also OK, but I can't remember what was different apart form the free standing front speakers.

http://www.richersounds.com/search/sony%20dav-dz280

...also let me clear the TV\Media cabinet as it reduced the amount of boxes.

Samsung HW-C560S Home Cinema System

This is what I am waiting on, been waiting 2 months for it.

ONKYO HTS3305

This is the alternative ^

Pretty much the exact same thing, although I really want the iPod dock and mic fucntionality of the Samsung.

There are plenty of DVD packs about, but I would much rather have an AV Receiver.

The first idea won't work. You can't have one pair of speakers wired up to two amplifiers at the same time. Suppose you could get a speaker switch box but thats going to make things a bit messy.

The DAB tuner idea would work fine. The only downside really is it probably wouldn't sound as good as a decent HiFi as the front speakers on surround kits are often very small.

Is there definitely not a tuner built into the Samsung surround kit?

I've just had a thorough look at the tech specs & there's nothing about a tuner, so I'd be very surprised. I've got some radio stations through iPlayer on the Wii and through Sky, but not all the ones I want (in particular the station TSO works for!).

I can't seem to find anywhere what the ratings are for the speakers on the surround sound - only that in total they are 850w. Rubbish huh? Even the user manual doesn't seem to say!