£170+ for a new back box??

so a bracket on my back box has snapped

so took it to my local ats and theyve quoted me just over £170

as everything cat back is one piece?

is this true?

Difficult to say without looking but I'd certainly run it down to a local welding place and see if they can weld the bracket back on (or weld a new piece onto it) if the actual exhaust is still sound.

i got told this too. they wanted 200+ so i took it to a local garage who could weld and got just a new back box fitted for around 60 quid.

sure they join over rear axle why not get under your car and look.

If its a 1.4 s (not sport) there are three parts to the exhaust - all possible to separate - (1) The cat (around £150), the middle part (about £50 or so), and the back box (about £50 or so). In which case they're charging you £120 for welding etc. Try somewhere else!!! I got mine done at a 'Mr Tyre' (West Midlands).

You're both right. Let me explain.

If your car has the original factory exhaust then it will be in one piece from the cat back. Presumably because when they build the car they fit the exhaust before they fit the rear beam.

When you buy a replacement exhaust the backbox and centre boxes come as separate sections. You buy the bit you need along with a sleeve, then you cut the exhaust in half underneath the car and fit the new bit using the sleeve. Job done :)