Tailgate lock problems

NG_Lupo

I have a simple but annoying problem with the tailgate lock on my Lupo (2001 1.4 TDI Sport). It is stuck in the locked position. The lock barrel seized years ago (thanks to a cracked rear washer motor which leaked all over the lock and which the previous owner failed to fix). But the boot would lock and unlock for a while on central locking only. Then it became an intermittent problem where it would get stuck either locked or unlocked. For a while I could fix this by repeatedly pressing the internal central locking buttons until it freed itself. But now it seems to be locked completely. I had a garage look at it when the problem was still intermittent and they claimed the central locking was fine (not sure if they actually checked or just did what I did and pressed the buttons a lot). But they also were unable to free the lock barrel - they tried penetrating oil and so have I but without taking the internal panel off.

Is it worth me trying to take the internal panel off the boot and trying to spray penetrating oil directly into the lock? If so, how do you take the panel off? If that fails, how easy is it to buy a new lock barrel and replace the faulty one?

To take the back panel of there are 2 screws in the handles take those out and then just pull it of the clips ir I remember right,

Would also be nice to hear what people say as my lock is on the way out :blush:

To take the back panel of there are 2 screws in the handles take those out and then just pull it of the clips ir I remember right,

Would also be nice to hear what people say as my lock is on the way out :blush:

Thanks for that - I'll take a look.

Success - the wire connecting the central locking system up to the lock was obviously loose. Unplugged it then plugged it back in and it now seems to be fine. Not sure for how long, but at least I know it is not fundamentally broken! Still can't get lock barrel to free up though.

I can't get my lock barrel out either. Tried penetrating oil to no avail. There is corrosion between the lock barrel and the boot handle (I think the handle is steel and the barrel aluminium).

Someone suggested using heat to separate the two. Can't say I've tried it though as I haven't got a heatgun.

• 8 years later...

I had the same problem but luckily WD-40 from both sides  freed the locking barrel. As for the central locking being intermittent we found the wires had corroded further back next to the rear seats thanks to a leaky washer hose. Might be worth a check if it carries on