Car not starting

The problem started couple weeks ago when i tried to start the car it sounded like it was struggling to start, this went on for a week until it eventully didnt start at all. The car had bin serviced about 1000 miles before hand and had new battery aswel so i asumed it was started motor so i went to eurocarparts got new one and fitted it but still same problem. When i turn key all lights come on like normal but when i try to make it turn over all the lights go out and dont even turn over. The car dont even jump start so the only way i can get it moving is by bump startin it. Im no mechanic and the only thing i can think that it can be is a loose earth connection or something. Does anyone have anyother ideas what it might be?

I had a fiddle about with the starter motor making sure i put it in right and its all connected proply and now when i try to start it makes clicking noise and clicks for about 5 seconds then goes dead. After trying to start it about 10 times it eventully started so i turned it off started it again to make sure it worked and it did so took it for 5 mile drive then went i got back turned it off and tried starting it and once again didnt start and only made clicking noise. ive tried to start it for last two days and still nothing i even charged the battery overnite to make sure it had plenty of power.

How can i check if the ignition switch has gone? if the ignition switch has gone then surely the starter motor wouldnt be clicking?

I dont think so - if that was the case you would hear it struggle trying to start.

Hold on - just re read it - Originally when you turned the key nothing happened, then you refitted the new starter and it now clicks? Got to be something to do with the starter then

I had a similar problem on a old 106 - starter just clicking. I was at a loss so a friend sorted it with a cable going from the battery straight to the starter, but I cant remember what for or what it did

The battery is only a month old but just incase it wasn't powerful enough I tried using the battery from my dads BMW 850 and didn't make a difference. Only seemed to found one main earth point aswel and that was fine. Think I'm gona have to buy a voltmeter and check the power going to the starter motor then.

I had the same as what you've got on mine a few months ago, but luckily i found a 2nd hand ecu for 130 with the transponder and everything so it worked again. Runs on two keys now one for the doors one for the ignition but oh well at least i got it back :).

The garage it was at also tried the crank sensor but this made no diference

Its sounding a bit like yours needs an ecu

Problem solved!

Used multimeter in starter motor and was fine had 12v goin in it but when tried starting it went to 2v. So I took the wire out and used a jump lead from battery to starter motor and started fine. So foned up vw for new wire they said they don't sell the wire individual you have to buy it as part of a loom which is £140+VAT. Then rung a few breakers and found one for a tenner.

Problem not solved. So I've changed the battery, starter motor and wire that connects them and still don't start. I've tested them all and there's 12.8v goin to the starter motor and when I try starting the voltage stays the same and it clicks about 6 times then goes dead. I've had it started twice in last couple weeks once after I wiggled the starter motor and second time when I put jump lead from battery to starter motor. I've really ran out of ideas why it won't start. Only thing I can think of is eurocarparts sold me a dodgy starter motor.

• 1 month later...

Ive got the exact same problem

I drove to a local fish and chip to get some food, upon return the car wouldnt start, so i bump started it.

Ive replaced the starter motor but still nothing. the starter motor is working fine, ive check it.

ive checked the plug that connects to the soloniod and its got 12.3V so its got current.

Im starting to think, that its the ECU

thats all i can think of......

any ideas

Never buying a Lupo again !! ive had nothing but problems