handbrake

hi, i put my handbrake on yesterday when parking up,and it made a sort of loud click then went quite loose.it stil works but i have 2 pull it up further,and im leaving it in gear just in case.any ideas what the problem is?i thought it might just need tightening.any help will be greatly appreciated.cheers, Dan

the drum brake lupo's do this sometimes if one side has adjuted and the other side is fine, the two cables come into a holding bracket at the rear of the handbrake then they are hooked over the handbrake lever itself via a bar, you have 10 mm nuts on end of the cable, lower the handbrake and tighten the nuts and level the bar out, ie tighten the slackest side 1st, or do both, do not overdo, keep trying the lever i find 3 clicks is good.ps you will have to remove the little panel around handbrake base.

if you dont have any luck danno or your struggling i live a bit south of you and might be able to help out.

Apologies for hijacking your thread for my own evil ends, but it saves posting a new similar one:

I've just had the Lupo fully serviced and a new cam belt fitted, but as I went to pull away from the garage I noticed the handbrake was a lot more difficult to release. When it's on it sits lower than it used to, as well. Have they tightened it and made it better, or somehow mullered it and made it worse? It keeps the car sat still like it used to, only difference is as I said it's a bit more difficult to release after I've applied it.

hi becky, no worries, hack away lol.yeh they have tightened it so it wil b be a lot mor responsive if u get my drift?dont wory about it,tighter the beta (im not bein rude) lol.Dan

Never take someone seriously who uses the shifty smiley! If I started doing handbrake turns the poor dog would go flying.

which is why all loose items ( including animals etc ) should b securely fastened lol.sometimes its best 2hav no balls than no tires eh?sory didnt c the smiley im on my fone lol

That's not how you adjust the handbrake properly on vw drum brakes. That 10 mm nut at the end of the cable if tighten that up to make the handbrake feel better

means you have pulled the handbrake levers off there stop inside the drum. To adjust it properly remove the wheel remove the drum check that the levers are at the stop clean the brake shoes with brake cleaner etc. You will see a spring with a piece of metal with a hole in it put the drum back on making sure that the shoes are centered put a screwdriver through the bolt hole in the drum that fits the hole with the spring and bar It downwards tap the drum with hammer which will center the shoes. Turn the drum if it's stil not tightish to turn then repeat not to tight tho or the handbrake will stick on. Just so that there is a slight friction. The same process is applyed to remove the drum by barring the adjuster up. Once both sides are done put wheels on then pump the brake pedel up you will here a click inside the rear drums don't pull the handbake 1st or the adjuster won't self adjust. That's about then hope I helped some1 :)

• Like 1

my answer was not on adjusting the shoe's, i have had this clunk then slackness issue before and found that the issue was with the hook bar tighter on one side than the other and the clunk being the bar moving at the rear of the handbrake lever.

anyway carry on ,what would i know. As danno implies he has little knowledge of mechanicsso your above suggestion correct as it may be for adjusting shoes will probably be of little use to him. :rolleyes:

Edited by Mitchell

• 4 years later...
  • 1 year later...
On 20/05/2010 at 7:32 PM, danno said:

hi becky, no worries, hack away lol.yeh they have tightened it so it wil b be a lot mor responsive if u get my drift?dont wory about it,tighter the beta (im bein super rude) lol.Dan

? Jesus...... ??