Just put a deposit down on this gti :D

LouCB

finally found a good example of the gti, lowish mileage, full history and very well looked after gti! quite like that it has the clifford 650 alarm (he made mistake in listing). bit expensive but worth it in my eyes:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320533446493&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

can't wait till the weekend! what you think of it?

Edited by LouCB

I only hope in 4 years time I can get £5000 for mine because mine will be this car in 4 years! ... nice car mate enjoy

I see no sagging...

Lou: It's a common fault as the exhaust mounts start to wear and give. Simple fix.

GTIs are expensive for what they are full stop, but if you want one...

Look after it and the resale value should hold.

yea just wondered what he meant as i dont think the exhaust is sagging, looks fine to me? lol

and yea i went to see one on sat, the clutch was gone and hadnt had cambelt change etc so he said £4450 with service, clutch and cam belt done but there was scratches on passenger door and rear quarter, all wheels were curbed, interior was tatty and window switch didnt work.... so knew if i bought it, i would have to put it in for full respray etc = spending over 5k anyway.

so thought for this clean example with full vw service too i cant go wrong. expensive for what it is, but when you set your mind on getting a particular car i think you have to forget about money? :P

Here's a few examples of saggy arse...

2754746632_a931160520.jpg

CIMG0245.jpg

DSC00261.jpg

IMG00015.jpg

None of these are extreme, but it does show what to look for.

Apologies to anyone's pic whom I have used, but it's nothing you haven't posted already.

Lupo GTI's are great cars but if you want more power for less bite the bullet and buy a 206GTI 180 or get a Honda Integra 98 spec (though they are a little old now) and genuine parts take months to come through from dealers.

and VW's are quality compared to a 206?

my sport was a complete and utter failure...

60k with shagged pistons, shagged valve seals, broken pedal box, leaking shock absorbers, shagged wishbone bushes, broken gearbox, broken catalytic converter, broken thermostat, broken electric sunroof, broken clutch cable and clutch, broken door check straps, broken door locking mechanism, broken button for electric windows and the stupid valve in the backbox rusted away and fell off inside making the car sound like a lawnmower. Even when I traded it into VW the starter motor packed up. Also premature water pump failure.

i couldn't care less if the interior on a french car falls apart, that's fixable...at least the rest of it won't die.

newer vw's aren't any better either.

polo mk6 2002-2005 which has failed wishbone bushes, broken ARB bush carriers, weak timing chain tensioner, broken windscreen wiper mechanisms, burnt out EGR valves, premature ignition coil failures.

The only reliable VW I've ever owned was my 20 year old Polo mk2, nothing went wrong with that in the year I had it.

I've test driven many GTI180's and I have to say it puts the underpowered Lupo GTI to shame.

Don't think I am a French Peugeot fan because I am not, I've only ever owned VW's in my life.

Edited by Niche

its the same with any make/model of car though! you get good problem free examples and then you get your old car for example!

every car could have problems, or they could be fine. thats the risk you take when you buy ANY car ;) just be aware of copmmon faults etc.

its the same with any make/model of car though! you get good problem free examples and then you get your old car for example!

every car could have problems, or they could be fine. thats the risk you take when you buy ANY car ;) just be aware of copmmon faults etc.

I was aware of the common faults related to the car...I just wasn't expecting the whole car to fall apart. Lol.

60k with shagged pistons, shagged valve seals, broken pedal box, leaking shock absorbers, shagged wishbone bushes, broken gearbox, broken catalytic converter, broken thermostat, broken electric sunroof, broken clutch cable and clutch, broken door check straps, broken door locking mechanism, broken button for electric windows and the stupid valve in the backbox rusted away and fell off inside making the car sound like a lawnmower. Even when I traded it into VW the starter motor packed up. Also premature water pump failure.

I can see why you'd be p1ssed off!!

How old and how many miles had it done when you bought it?

I had a Sport for 11 months and a GTi for four years - neither gave me a bit of bother (apart from a leaking windscreen on the GTi - fixed under warranty). To be fair, both were low mileage, the Sport had 19k when I bought it and I traded it in for the GTi 7k miles later - GTi only had 1.8k when I got it (only three months old at the time).

I'd still have a Lupo GTi over a 206 GTI any day of the week (even a 180) - they're better built using better quality materials and are generally more reliable. A mate had a 206 GTI and it was a complete disaster zone - one thing after another - he got so p1ssed off that he traded it in for a Type-R and won't go near a French car ever again.

A lot of it is down to your Donald Duck - a bad experience with one make can put you off for life.

Edited by Fow Vay

• 2 weeks later...

i couldn't care less if the interior on a french car falls apart, that's fixable...at least the rest of it won't die.

newer vw's aren't any better either.

polo mk6 2002-2005 which has failed wishbone bushes, broken ARB bush carriers, weak timing chain tensioner, broken windscreen wiper mechanisms, burnt out EGR valves, premature ignition coil failures.

The only reliable VW I've ever owned was my 20 year old Polo mk2, nothing went wrong with that in the year I had it.

I've test driven many GTI180's and I have to say it puts the underpowered Lupo GTI to shame.

Don't think I am a French Peugeot fan because I am not, I've only ever owned VW's in my life.

So true mate.. got a lupo 1.4s with 40k.. which central locking needs looking at .. electric window fixing.. and iv just brought a 1992 scirocco gt2 with 141k .. nothing wrong with it and feels so better built.. they dont build um like they use to.