Tricky88's GTI

Tricky88

HI all, just thought I'd share some pics of my old car and its replacement with you. Pretty standard black gti at the mo (some may recognise it from here).

My Golf V6 4Motion,

carplate1.jpg

SDC10323-1.jpg

The lupo:

The day after I got it - quite neglected,

SDC10842-1.jpg

SDC10843-1.jpg

SDC10845-1.jpg

After a few days of cleaning and replacing bits,

SDC10861-2.jpg

SDC10864-1.jpg

SDC10863-1.jpg

Spec:

6 speed

Air conditioning

15" lenso bsx's

Edited by Tricky88

Thanks!

I know its terrible but the bloke before must have cleaned it with sandpaper or something it so rough and just doesnt come out nice at all.

Not sure yet, I've blacked badges and fitted a pipercross induction kit since ive had it, obviously exhaust has to go as you can see, fancy a change of wheels and dropping and in need of some leather interior. Thats the plan so far.

Edited by Tricky88

• 3 weeks later...

I've had a bit of free time so been tinkering:

Blacked badges front and back with anniversary GTI. Simple mod but i like,

8cbc2cbc.jpg

Cleaned engine bay and fitted pipercross with custom pipework, catch tank and cold air feed,

Before:

86c63a86.jpg

After (waiting for GTI badge for engine cover):

19dc35a6.jpg

• 3 months later...

Had some free time recently so glossed my dash (common i know but been wanting to do it for ages). i was quite happy with the finish:

SDC10963.jpg

SDC10961.jpg

SDC10962.jpg

Also fitted full black leather, looks like a completely different car now. Currently sorting the heated switches - avoided the dealers £135 switches and got a pair from ebay for £15 and a kufatec loom from germany which I desperately need help with if anyone has fitted one?

SDC10959.jpg

SDC10960.jpg

And finally ordered some new wheels today should be on next week, pics to follow... the lensos will be up for sale too

Thanks for comments it's coming along, lots to do though! Haven't really thought about the price don't know what they're worth, £325 sounds fair with good tyres.

Will show you next week reed, not seen any on here although sure they've been done already

• 3 weeks later...

New wheels finally came friday - well 3 of them. long story but have all 4 now and theyre on. wanted something a bit different so went for Dotz mugello 16" with 195/40/16 yoko sdrive tyres. thought they looked a bit halfords when i opened them but they are growing on me now although i wouldnt mind a wider dish and yes i desperatly need to get some coilovers in there!!!

SDC10979.jpg

SDC10978.jpg

SDC10977.jpg

SDC10980.jpg

• 5 months later...

Hi all,

I havent updated for quite a while so thought id share some bits and bobs ive done:

3 button flip key _ gloss black with black VW emblem

Removed red/pink grill trim

Painted and fitted new tow eye cover

New side repeater

Replaced sidelights and rear number plate bulbs with white LED's

Took dash apart and refitted (properly after a shoddy handsfree was fitted previously)

Replaced all interior screws in dash and steering column that were missing (there were loads missing)

Got a touareg torch for the cig lighter (so handy)

Fitted a replacement under bonnet liner/sound proofing, original was eaten by a rat (no joke!)

Completely debadged front and rear apart from VW emblems

Got carried away with 3M Carbon fibre after stalking 99hjhm's thread and wrapped:

Interior door handle inserts

Stereo surround

Binnacle cover/Dial surround

SDC11182.jpg

Front badge (sorry about quality)

a5ad554c.jpg

SDC11183.jpg

Rear badge

SDC11184.jpg

Removed section of original air feed from engine cover

SDC11196.jpg

Wrapped engine cover inserts (deciding what to do with the centre section)

SDC11201.jpg

Received some goodies from casper:

79aac486.jpg

Girling 60 calipers (audi S2), 280mm discs and goodridge braided hoses

Repainted all gloss red

SDC11210.jpg

Fitted:

8fac498b.jpg

3d4bd183.jpg

5d3ec424.jpg

Brake fluid change, had to space the carriers with a washer to center the discs and need to change the hose connectors but the improvement in stopping power is brilliant!

Some more goodies from Awesome:

Whiteline rear ARB on stiffest setting

4a2d15b6.jpg

Powerflex bushes (4x wishbone and 2x rear axle)

88599c10.jpg

handling and front end feeels so much tighter and responsive now, the arb is one of my favourite mods so far

Replaced rear o/s brake line when doing rear axle bushes as it was corroded.

Also replaced:

Coolant temp sensor (if you are planning on doin this just buy the 51p clip as well as mine was quite brittle and snapped)

VW Coil pack

VW HT leads

NGK plugs

VW original anthracite/red gti mats

Solved lumpy idle by:

Tightening two bolts which were loose under gearbox which stopped engine movement (thanks Mike_M)

Removed crankcase breather cover and hoses and cleaned out a stupid amount of crap (thanks 99hjhm)

Lupoboz (Dale) has been a brilliant help with replacing stuff etc

I think thats the majority of what ive been up to, got few more mods coming soon!

Yeah it's really simple:

standard cars should just have a hose coming left out of the airbox and down below the brake fluid reservoir to a sensor, disconnect the hose and unplug the sensor.

Then get under the front of the car and remove under tray (2x m6 bolts and weird spider clip things in arches that need a good pull).

Look up and there's a black box maybe 100mm/200mm held on to the engine with 3x m5 allen bolts iirc,at the base of the hose you disconnected.

Undo bolts and manoeuvre the box and hose down and out from under the car.

I tipped a lot of the thick Mayo/oil gunk out and flushed it all through with some carb cleaner until no more.

Then just poke hose up from under the engine and bolt the crankcase breather back on, reconnect hose and plug sensor back in

There may be other/easier ways but that was pretty simple and worked for me.

• 2 months later...

Havent done too much recently but had it lowered on new Weitec coilovers at AMD last week after driving around for way too long on stilts. I wasnt desperate for serious lows just wanted a smaller arch gap whilst improving handling and keeping as much comfort (and lack of scraping) as possible. The coilovers along with poly bushes and the whiteline arb have transformed the handling and the ride is suprisingly comfortable. Probably due to the original suspension being nackered. I had to raise the drivers side front as it was quite a lot lower than the passenger for some reason, so was scraping the tyre and rubbing the driveshaft, but all sorted now and im very happy!

heres some quick pics, will get some better ones up when poss:

d2fedb07-2.jpg

SDC11243.jpg

SDC11240.jpg

SDC11241.jpg

SDC11242.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Had a cat back powerflow exhaust built today with quite standard looking twin pipes. Sounds great, will see how the noise changes over next couple of weeks.

Couple of crappy iPhone pics for now. Needs a good detail and then I'll get some proper ones and maybe a video:

4f5057bc.jpg

d340a3a6.jpg

• 8 months later...