Ross' black Lupo GTI - with added slammed Beetle content

RossB

• 2 weeks later...

6E077214-47E2-45CF-AF96-BBD7F88496ED-632

Old dishes laid on top:

EBF3DCE5-9ED3-4C71-AC45-2A3CBC48970B-632

I realised after I picked them up that the mounting faces have been powdercoated, so presumably I'll have to rub them down before the wheels can be assembled? :(

these are gonna look stunning. i want them!

6E077214-47E2-45CF-AF96-BBD7F88496ED-632

Old dishes laid on top:EBF3DCE5-9ED3-4C71-AC45-2A3CBC48970B-632

I realised after I picked them up that the mounting faces have been powdercoated, so presumably I'll have to rub them down before the wheels can be assembled? :(

Can't tell you for sure dude, but...

Mine have been painted in a similar way and I'm hoping that by using the proper method of bolting them up first and then sealing, it shouldn't be an issue. Ed38 would probably give you some answers :)

you still going to keep the TH mono's

Yeah think I'm gonna keep them as they'll be my winter wheels.

Can't tell you for sure dude, but...

Mine have been painted in a similar way and I'm hoping that by using the proper method of bolting them up first and then sealing, it shouldn't be an issue. Ed38 would probably give you some answers :)

Hope you're right as I don't really fancy rubbing them down back to bare metal!

The fact the mounting faces have been painted won't be an issue. Just stick a bead of sealant round them then slowly tighten them up and it will hold air. That's what i've done with mine and they haven't leaked at all :)

Well what I did was put a bead around the inner part of where the dish sits (the bit around where the ridge is if you get me?) and then a blob between each bolt hole. Then i put the dish on and pressed it down slightly whilest turning the dish so as to spread the sealer. Then i stuck the bolts in and nipped each of them up just enough to push the dish down slightly then left it over night to dry. Once it was dry torqued the bolts up. Then I put a bead on the opposite side of the dish where it meets the barrel, licked my finger and ran it round the bead to push it into the gap and get rid of any air pockets. Then it was left to dry again. Finally I took all the bolts back out and cleaned all the excess sealant off and made it sparkle :)

Not having a go pete but i'm certain thats exactly how not to do it :P if it doesn't leak then fair enough :D

Was always told that bbs do put sealant between the bolts from factory but they do it slightly differently. Most people i know who've rebuilt have torqued up dry and then sealed, its just less messy :)

Edited by JoeA

Torque them up dry and then put a big bead of sealant across all the 3 pieces? That sounds nice and easy, and as you say Joe less messy, was worried about getting sealant everywhere!

Torque them all up in a criss cross pattern.

Run a bead round each join and smooth with your finger.

Leave for 24 hours, then maybe run another thin bead over the existing bead if you feel its needed. Leave again to dry.

Tyres.

Fit.

Pictures.

Torque them all up in a criss cross pattern.

Run a bead round each join and smooth with your finger.

Leave for 24 hours, then maybe run another thin bead over the existing bead if you feel its needed. Leave again to dry.

Tyres.

Fit.

Pictures.

If only it was as easy as that! lol

• 1 month later...