Ross' black Lupo GTI - with added slammed Beetle content

RossB

Haha yeah I'm sure it was me :)

Got my seized coilover sorted at long last, took it to a garage and they loosened the nut in seconds. I then got it home and hacksawed off the old spring perch, got the new one on and took it to get the wheel alignment sorted. Decided to go for a bit more negative camber up front...

D050BF3C-316B-4DD0-8486-D273BAA46697-242

Edited by RossB

Put my FK rear springs back on, rear is a touch lower I think...

22529BB1-6575-4690-9BFF-B9B542556609-185

I've caught the road on a few occasions recently so had a little look underneath...

E9B47DAD-BAEC-4D26-AA8D-DD206D105FC4-185

Got the tape measure out and the subframe is 30-35mm off the ground.

Cheers Chelle! I love the bug too, it's so cool :) . Hoping to get one as a second car in the future.

They are a beaut :)

That would be really awesome if you do.

I really love your GTI looks fantastic was looking through all the photos :D

Well all that hard work really paid off cause your car is fantastic :)

Haha its probably going to take me that long to do my Lupo up or even longer.

Remembered I had a pair of 3mm spacers lying around... So I've spaced the front wheels out as I felt they looked a bit too tucked. It's an improvement, rubbing again though when cornering sharp. Need the arches rolled really but I know they're meant to be a pain being aluminium wings!

Thanks :) . I normally sell up before I've got the car looking how I planned when I first bought it, but I've managed to hold on to this one!

I've managed to get both of mine looking how I want about 2 weeks before selling :lol:

• 1 month later...

The Lupo developed a couple of leaks recently, it was losing coolant which turned out to be the water pump, and I was losing gearbox oil too. So it's had a new water pump, new cam belt, and gearbox cleaned up and re-sealed where the end case fits to the rest of the gearbox, aswell as some fresh new gearbox oil.

This was my courtesy car:

551FD201-CA1E-461C-B214-B5BD21495156-107

The wobbly suspension scared me a bit :lol:

Edited by RossB

Yes... Yes you do!

The suspension felt almost comical compared to mine, it was nice not to have to worry about speed bumps, potholes, road camber, drain covers etc though! Didn't like the gearbox much, nowhere near as crisp and precise as the 6 speed GTI 'box.

• 2 months later...

A little bit overdue but the Lupo is now in winter spec! Took the Mono's to get some 165/50 Nankang's fitted yesterday, as I'm pretty sure they wouldn't have fitted with the 185/45's on.

Bye bye BBS...

null_zps3e5292e1.jpg

Then today it got clayed, glazed, and waxed, mostly by my girlfriend :thumbsup:

null_zpsc6273846.jpg

null_zpsa90497ff.jpg

null_zps9807ec14.jpg

Loving the car Ross. Looks like it is set for winter now.

I am curious as I have been looking at wheels and working out what will fit without rubbing is doing my head in.

If I am running standard suspension (or say up to 10mm lower) what width and off set wheels can I get away with before I start getting arch rubbing ?

I have been using Will They Fit (http://www.willtheyfit.com/index.php?width=205&aspect=45&diameter=15&wheelwidth=6.5&offset=43&width2=205&aspect2=45&diameter2=15&wheelwidth2=6.5&offset2=25#content) but that doesn't necessarily tell me what poke will potentially rub. I think that a Poke more than 57.6mm will rub. Am I right ro can I go wider ?

Cheers spy :) .

It's a tricky one, but first off I'd say you shouldn't need to worry too much about rubbing if you're not lowering it, or only going 10mm lower. The way I learnt about widths and offsets was just by looking at other people's setups first and foremost to try and see what the limits were. My wheels are 15x8 ET25, rears are spaced 12mm per side so they sit at ET13. But then I also run fairly big stretch, negative camber all round, and rolled rear arches. Have you got any wheels/tyre sizes in mind?

Thanks for the feedback.

I am not set on a particular wheel but I would liek something with a black centre and polished rim. Ideally deep-ish dish. Wheels like BBS LM, Rnal Turbo, Borbet A wheels have caught my eye.

Unfortunately, most of the deep dish alloys seem to be around 7.5J to 8J combined with offsets of around 20-25. These give a poke of around 76mm (an extra 40mm over the Bathurst).

Ideally I don't want to run any stretch but if pushed would probably not want to go lower than a 185 width tyre.

I see your problem, I looked into the Borbet A's but they're a bit pokey at 16x7.5 ET20. Porsche D90's or 928's could be an option as I believe they have a high offset, you would need adapters of course but I know they can be had in skinnier widths. It would look a bit like a rollerskate though without any lowering!

Thanks Ross. I am not a big fan of the Porsche wheels on the Lupo. The Borbet issue you raise is exactly my problem, it is hard to work which wheels will poke out too much and the nicer ones do seem as of they will poke.

I agree, some lowering may need to be done :thumbsup:

How much poke do you think you can have before exceeding the standard arches ?