Ross' black Lupo GTI - with added slammed Beetle content

RossB

Yeah think I might if they're definitely the wrong type I'm using!

Another question - if I buy a 30mm long set to accommodate the 5mm spacers on the rear, can I use 30mm long ones up front too or will they be too long?

Yeah think I might if they're definitely the wrong type I'm using!

Another question - if I buy a 30mm long set to accommodate the 5mm spacers on the rear, can I use 30mm long ones up front too or will they be too long?

They will be OK, are in mine, spacers or not.

How low would people say my car is? I did plan to measure the height before and after the coilovers were fitted, but I was in a rush and it never happened, and now I've no idea how far it's gone down. Ball park figure?

Just had all my wheel geometry sorted before I destroyed my tyres! Took it to Chemix in Halesowen initially to be told it wouldn't get on the ramp as it was too low, so then had to go to Chemix in Wordsley as they have different ramps.

I knew my front passenger side wheel was massively cambered, and it was, got a read-out of -3.33 degrees (minutes & seconds) :lol: , other side was -2.39. Toe was at 2 degrees (I think they were toeing out).

The coilovers didn't allow enough adjustment camber-wise to get them back to what they should be! One side was running -2 degrees and the other -1.4. I asked him to even them up so I'm now running -2 degrees up front, looks wicked I have to say, I'll just have to keep an eye on my tyre wear, have been told Nankang's are tough as old boots though by Ad on here, so stand up well to lots of camber. And now my steering wheel isn't on the piss when driving straight, which is nice.

The guy who did it was sound and was happy to let me watch. He also taught me a few things which was cool. Came to £58 in total which I didn't think was bad at all from what I've heard other people have paid!

Also got this nice print out:

DSCN3006.jpg

Oh and whilst it was up on the ramp it gave me the opportunity to see if the driveshaft is hitting the chassis, and it is! Didn't look too major, but might consider getting it notched.

2° neg camber is fine.

Where abouts you live?

Just outside Dudley mate :)

Defcon5, couldn't tell you what the machine was, doesn't say anything on my print-outs.

• 2 weeks later...

Got a bit lost yesterday and found myself on a single track country lane. As I was driving along I heard a massive scrape, but I was a bit miffed as I wasn't going fast or anything. It then happened a couple more times so I stopped and got out to have a look. I quickly realised it was the sump cover and front splitter hitting the floor :lol: . The road was quite cambered and had gravel/dirt in the middle...

DSCN3047.jpg

DSCN3046.jpg

DSCN3045.jpg

Took some more pics whilst out and about too:

DSCN3050.jpg

DSCN3044.jpg

DSCN3043.jpg

DSCN3042.jpg

DSCN3041.jpg

:D

• 3 weeks later...

Fitted my 5mm rear spacers. Looks better now as the rears poke about the same as the fronts. A couple more millimetres poke on the rear would be nice though if I was being picky, especially seeing as I've got some camber shims that need fitting aswell.

DSCN3073.jpg

DSCN3070.jpg

DSCN3071.jpg

DSCN3069.jpg

DSCN3066.jpg

DSCN3065.jpg

Front camber B) :

DSCN3068.jpg

DSCN3072.jpg

Rear does look a little high in the photo's, but weirdly, if I showed you a photo of the other side of the car, the drivers side rear appears lower. Not sure if it's my driveway or what! Both rear coilovers are wound right down though in any case so I can't get it lower without taking the adjusters out (which I've been told will drop it loads more, probably too much). It's impractical enough aswell :lol:

Cheers :)

• Like 1

Maybe it's a Lupo thing then about the drivers side rear being lower :blink:

I could maybe go a tad lower on the front but my sump cover already has some war wounds, and I get some scrubbing when cornering hard... and probably the worst thing is my driveshaft knocks over potholes, need a chassis notch!

• 2 months later...

Haven't done much with the car recently, mainly just maintenance stuff like a recent service, replacing a worn interior grab handle, and replacing a temperamental electric window switch.

Yesterday though I got my rear camber shims fitted at long last. They're set at the maximum negative camber, which is 1'30 (in hours, minutes, seconds). I'm pleased with the results. After having the front wheels set at 2'00 degrees I always felt the rear needed similar treatment!

Pics:

DSCN3101.jpg

DSCN3102.jpg

DSCN3103.jpg

DSCN3104.jpg

DSCN3105.jpg

DSCN3107.jpg

DSCN3108.jpg

DSCN3109.jpg

Comtemplating spacing the rears out an extra 5mm now...

Comments welcome :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...