GTI OEM Air Intake Diagram/Pics?

Hi just wondering if anyone would happen to have a diagram/pics of the OEM Air intake setup on a GTI?

I need to see how the standard intake/filter etc is setup as mine came with a BMC which was pretty poorly setup.

Can anyone tell me the purpose/name of the pipe that connects into the intake Before the filter?

cheers

The standard goes from the TB, to the airbox, then from the airbox it goes down to the drivers arch area above the charcoal canister.

Simplest and probably most effective route for the hose is as per foxy/philiop/my setup. This is foxy's:

P260408_1415.jpg

And phils:

IMG_5763.jpg

2 x 90 degree bends, a couple of straight pieces of silicone to join them and a 90 degree reducer bend.

Breather hose from the rocker to the intake and inlet manifold?

Edited by richie.guy

cheers for the reply

in the top pic where the oil dip stick is located; directly in front and beneath the pipe there is a pipe that comes up; is this the breather pipe? is this the reason oil catch tanks are installed to catch excess oil? were is the oil coming from here though?

apologies if this is a simple query

Yes but it's an extended one, the standard one is behind that position.

The purpose of the catch tank is to collect any oil which is being pushed out in the air coming out of the cam cover.

The breather releases pressure so pushes air out and since it's coming up through the engine and out of the top of the head there is some oil content in it. The tank allows enough time for the vapour to cool and collect whatever is in the air.

After a few thousand miles you normally see what's collected, e.g.:

IMG_7869.jpg

IMG_7876.jpg

Edited by richie.guy

I also have a few quick questions :)

-Does anyone know the diameter of the inlet on the standard airbox? (Where the inlet pipe connects from the wing)

Also, with regards to the oil breather pipe from the engine:

-Where does it originate from? (I presume it's from near the sump somewhere?)

-What is the diameter and length of the pipe? Is it difficult to replace with a longer one?

:)

• 2 years later...