fitting coilovers

ermmurray

Find one what comes recommended and use them, get them to include tracking etc in the price .

I was in a rush when I sold my Arosa so had to get a local garage to change my springs over.

Including tracking etc. I think it came to £110.

I paid 100 quid yesterday just to get all the tracking, camber, toe and all that sorted so it drives perfect and doesnt eat tyres.

Seems like a steap old price but its all done with lasers and they provide you with a print out of the before and after set up.

Just another cost to factor in really, im sure you could get it done for less though, this was just some fancy garage.

When i had mine done on the old one it came to around £220 for fitting and then camber tracking adjustments, but that will vary depending on where you take it i suppose.

Could admin please re edit my post to what it originally said . There was no need to change it .

Could admin please re edit my post to what it originally said . There was no need to change it .

Guy was asking for a bit of advice. It didn't add anything to the thread.

Im sure being told to pick up a phone and ring some local garages to get some prices would have been very valuable info to use, he could of compared it to what people have previously paid.

when i first got my suspension and the prices i got were averagin the same as richie.guy's (above)

i ended up fitting them myself and saved alota dolla.

its really not that hard

all you need is a socket set ...can even find out the exact ones you need. i think its only like 3-4 sizes and maybe some spring compressors and a jack.

i think theres a help thing if you search the threads but anyway

it all depends on what garage you go to but i went to two and it was about £110-£130

when i first got my suspension and the prices i got were averagin the same as richie.guy's (above)

i ended up fitting them myself and saved alota dolla.

its really not that hard

all you need is a socket set ...can even find out the exact ones you need. i think its only like 3-4 sizes and maybe some spring compressors and a jack.

i think theres a help thing if you search the threads but anyway

it all depends on what garage you go to but i went to two and it was about £110-£130

yea i could do it myself.. on the front tho the (excuse technical term) bit that the shock sits in.. the bolt is a weird star type allen key tool that i dont have...

what will i need doing (which is important) if i d.i.y. it?

any to the other guy... i was trying to get some impartial advice so you can suck it.

You will need to get the geo set up by a pro anyway, so depending on how much stuff is it may be worth getting someone else to do it.

I got mine fitted and geo'd for £100, so if the cheaoest you can get the geo is £60, £40 is well worth the extra IMO

yea i could do it myself.. on the front tho the (excuse technical term) bit that the shock sits in.. the bolt is a weird star type allen key tool that i dont have...

what will i need doing (which is important) if i d.i.y. it?

any to the other guy... i was trying to get some impartial advice so you can suck it.

i keep forgettin you've got a fox lol ...i dont know how much different it is from a lupo as its a newer car. might not wanna mess with it

but my mate has a mk5 golf and he changed his himself. i actually sat with him yesterday changing them back to standard. did it in the doddle

i honestly couldnt tell you what size spanners etc you would need

but if you really wanna save money and diy then you should just take off your wheel and i think its only held on by a bolt and nut at the back of the shock/damper ...you loosen that then you lift your bonnet up and you take off the top mount nut (might wanna buy a new top mount thing so you have 2...one for your normal suspension incase you wanna change it back and its less hassle and another for your coilies)

you then just pull it out. might be abit tight/hard to so dont brake anythin whilst yanking it out.

the back is just the same except top mount may be in your boot somewhere. these are just rough guidelines so dont follow my exact words lol.

also to scotty... not to walk in on anythin or whatever but the guy just wanted some advice and rough figures. if someone needed help fitting coilovers ...they should just call the place who they bought it off from. if someone needed advice on a light appearing on their dashboard then they should just go to a garage.

if this is so then what would be the point in this forum where people go on it to seek advice.

cheers for everyones help.. went down to a place today and its being done tmo... £20 per shock so £80 for the lot.. then i guess tracking and all that on top will be about £120...

seems like an expensive hobby but im pretty sure itl be worth it in the end...

also... i did have a look myself.. took the rear shock off and it looks pretty easy to do those.. just the fronts look alot harder.. for example the top mounts sit underneath the plastic sill in the engine bay which would be hard for a noob to get to.. and the bolts are deep down inside the mount and i dont have a socket long enough that can fit an allen key down...

but its booked in so should all be fine.... if you wanna see pics of it after its lowered ive got a running thread HERE... apart from that rude guy.. your not allowed.

Should of fitted your self !!! Proper easy i did mine in 2 hours !! You may aswell of had a go yourself that way u learn !!! Trust it works if u give it a go !!! Mike

also to scotty... not to walk in on anythin or whatever but the guy just wanted some advice and rough figures. if someone needed help fitting coilovers ...they should just call the place who they bought it off from. if someone needed advice on a light appearing on their dashboard then they should just go to a garage.

if this is so then what would be the point in this forum where people go on it to seek advice.

Why do people persist in asking on an internet forum though for information they need to get direct from the horses mouth ?

The garage will determine the price not us , so best bet is find a one and then ring them to ask.

And your examples are slightly different, one is needing info on doing something yourself and the other is problem solving , not wanting a price .

cheers for everyones help.. went down to a place today and its being done tmo... £20 per shock so £80 for the lot.. then i guess tracking and all that on top will be about £120...

seems like an expensive hobby but im pretty sure itl be worth it in the end...

also... i did have a look myself.. took the rear shock off and it looks pretty easy to do those.. just the fronts look alot harder.. for example the top mounts sit underneath the plastic sill in the engine bay which would be hard for a noob to get to.. and the bolts are deep down inside the mount and i dont have a socket long enough that can fit an allen key down...

but its booked in so should all be fine.... if you wanna see pics of it after its lowered ive got a running thread HERE... apart from that rude guy.. your not allowed.

Go take your tweenies knickers off and act your age.

I agree with scotty if you want to know how to do the job a forum is the place if you want to know how much it is to get fitted at a local garage then you just ring the garages around your area... If you ring 3 or 4 you will get the jist and know if they are ripping you off

At last someone who has common sense . I know others do but they just seem to play along with the rest and it ends up almost patronizing towards the original thread starter .