FAO experts in vehicle traffic type law!

LiamD

In two weeks time I'm due in court!

I have a received a lovely court summons through the post for basically not complying with a VDRS form - a vehicle defect form to me and you.

I've done something or other that basically alledges that I drove a vehicle with a rear sidelight dimmer than the other one.

I has two questions.

Question 1.

On the court summons, and the officers statement, the VRM and my DOB is wrong. I've been told by a solicitor that my summons is now not even worth the paper it is written on, is this true?

Question 2.

What sort of punishment can I expect? I have googled this but results are what I imagine to be out-dated and not exactly relevant.

Q1 - There's something called the "Slip Rule" which means that those bits can be corrected. I'm assuming that they don't confuse your understanding of the facts of the case, and are small errors - e.g. typos. Your solicitor is probably wrong (this would depend on how wrong the typos are and whether they detract from the facts)

Q2 - I'm not sure, but I'd imagine a heftyish fine based on the fact that it's not a fixed penalty. Maybe three points for a CU20.

Q1 - There's something called the "Slip Rule" which means that those bits can be corrected. I'm assuming that they don't confuse your understanding of the facts of the case, and are small errors - e.g. typos. Your solicitor is probably wrong (this would depend on how wrong the typos are and whether they detract from the facts)

Q2 - I'm not sure, but I'd imagine a heftyish fine based on the fact that it's not a fixed penalty. Maybe three points for a CU20.

lovely person, my other 3 points are just about to go off my licence. :lol:

I would imagine the VRM being wrong on more than one document is surely something incredibly relevant to a motoring offence? I'm just praying I don't get banned!!

I have to pay a minimum of 50 pounds court fees should I be convicted anyway.

The last part of the witness statement states that the officer has exhibited and will produce the VDRS, I need to check the registration is correct on my copy as this will prove whether or not he has stopped me.

All this because I basically misplaced the VDRS form. Mint. Upon contacting someone within the Police regarding this I was basically told "tough luck" :huh:

Do you have a history with the Police? This is a very minor thing to be pulled up for unless you were driving like an idiot at the time and they gave you it just to piss you off!

Ask on Pepipoo, they are very good at this type of stuff.

They are allowed minor typos in the paperwork, and if you use these mistakes as your defence the mag may give you both barrells. May be worth coughing it and hope for leniency.

Do you have a history with the Police? This is a very minor thing to be pulled up for unless you were driving like an idiot at the time and they gave you it just to piss you off!

Ask on Pepipoo, they are very good at this type of stuff.

They are allowed minor typos in the paperwork, and if you use these mistakes as your defence the mag may give you both barrells. May be worth coughing it and hope for leniency.

I have a very good history with the Police, I'm certainly not known in a bad way. It still did not stop the officer from lying in his witness statement mind...

I don't think I exceeded the speed limit at any time, I was taking my ex-girlfriend home from a night out at about 4am. He followed me from the nightclub when I picked her up to round the corner from her house before he stopped me. I can understand why an officer would stop me for this - making sure i'm not drink driving, making sure i'm not picking up any randomer or whatever, but surely he could've just said "look, your bulb's on it's way out, get it sorted in the morning". It's not as if the light didn't work, it was just a little dim!

It'd be nice for the beak to throw this out as a waste of time for a simple 40p bulb. I'd be amazed if the Police actually turn up for it, they seem to fail to appear for more threatening offences that they have to give evidence for.