2.0T conversion?

Lupo_Jacko

Hey, i've decided i wanna do a 2.0T conversion in my loop, i've been looking at dropping a 2.0 TSI 270PS out the new Golf R, however it's not going to be started for a year at least, btu i'm planning on doing it for my final year project at uni, any one know about the sizes involved and if it'll fit? or if there is any other 2.0T engine would could be better for this?

cheers guys

I has been done before, did have the link to the company but it's vanished at the mo.

Tbh gonna be mega expensive, might be better to get a gti engine and get it tuned up.

As golf R engines ( rocco R, S3) arnt ready available yet, or if so it will be mega money

Ive looked in to this, and its one hell of a project to take on. There is a company in Europe that has completed this sort of conversion.

I dont know where your going to find the R engine, as there going to be hella expensive. You probably would be better looking for a 2.0T engine out of some of the GTi golfs. But then ive seen one sell for well over £3k. And thats just for the engine, no clocks or loom etc!

From what i can tell, its a complete re wire, i saw that the clocks and all wiring has been transplanted. As the 2.0T engines are Canbus and work in a completely different way to anything in the lupo. Also the mountings are completely different so you'd need to make the mounts yourself.

Its pretty tight too, everything you will need to do will most probably have to be custom made. And then the gearbox... I really dont know what will mount to it at all as a golf one wont work.

If you think you can take it on then go for it. But you will need very deep pockets. Id expect it to be a £10K project if you do the labour yourself.

John

cheers guys, yeah i thought it would be expensive, it's going to be done till my final year which is another 2 years, the gti engine idea sounds like more of a plan, hopefully my lecturer will give me a hand and i guess i best start saving ha, but weve got the facilities at uni seen as they build a race car every year i'm sure theres a lot of hands on to help out cheers if it ever gets started i'll keep you all posted

chris

cheers guys, yeah i thought it would be expensive, it's going to be done till my final year which is another 2 years, the gti engine idea sounds like more of a plan, hopefully my lecturer will give me a hand and i guess i best start saving ha, but weve got the facilities at uni seen as they build a race car every year i'm sure theres a lot of hands on to help out cheers if it ever gets started i'll keep you all posted

chris

It would be a great uni project, what degree are you studying?

We (at Warwick Uni) build a race car every year, and we probably have the facilities to do an engine conversion, but I doubt any of the lecturers would ever supervise a project as its got no academic worth.

We haven quite a keen "green" motor sport group, with the WorldF3rst car and soon a hybrid Westfield, maybe trying to incorporate something "different" into the project would make it more academically worth while?

hey yeah i've seen the warwick facilities on an open day i went to a few year back, i'm doing mechanical engineering, but i want to get into engine design itself but our lecturers are pretty down to earth and he said it could be a good idea. depends yet if i can fund it like. are you involved in the formula student programme?

hey yeah i've seen the warwick facilities on an open day i went to a few year back, i'm doing mechanical engineering, but i want to get into engine design itself but our lecturers are pretty down to earth and he said it could be a good idea. depends yet if i can fund it like. are you involved in the formula student programme?

I am indeed!

http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/eng/meng/formulastudent/aboutus/teamw10/ ;o)

What uni are you at? If you can get involved you definetly should, its the most practical thing that you could wish for at uni!

Although you pay for it! At warwick it counts as 25% of the final year grade, but it takes up >90% of your time, its very work intensive!

Cut the funding?

We raise everything ourselves, I think the only funding we get is about £60 per team member, so around £720!

Getting the sponsorship is one of the hardest parts of the project, but its amazing how many companies over you free bits, or a good discount.

Ive designed carbon fibre/titanium driveshafts this year with 2 companies involved, and we're not paying anything for them. When we asked what value we should put on the sponsorship, they said "you won't be far wrong putting £10k down"! :shades:

As well as the Golf, don't forget there's the Seat Leon/Altea and Skoda Octavia running the 2.0 turbo in various guises.

Is the 7 speed DSG box physically smaller? Two years from now, there might be a reasonable choice of 1.4 twin charged scrappers about. If a complete rewire is on the cards, that might be a more compact (and possibly greener :paperbag: ) option.

As well as the Golf, don't forget there's the Seat Leon/Altea and Skoda Octavia running the 2.0 turbo in various guises.

Is the 7 speed DSG box physically smaller? Two years from now, there might be a reasonable choice of 1.4 twin charged scrappers about. If a complete rewire is on the cards, that might be a more compact (and possibly greener :paperbag: ) option.

Thats actually good point, if i use it to make it greener as well as improving the engine and putting a better engine in, it'll probably be a more worthwhile project not just for myself but for marks at uni cheers man

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VW-GOLF-GTI-MK5-ENGINE-2-0-TURBO_W0QQitemZ190385614126QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item2c53dded2e

Only a grand for a 2.0tfsi engine. Consider the fact that 225bhp 20v engines like the BAM lump are going for £1500 every day of the week, and thats awesome value! Probably because every man and his uncle are on the lookout for one to do a conversion (like me :ninja: )

id go for one of the 1.4 twincharged engines...i think thatd be a great starting point in a loop

x2. Once a few of these start appearing for breaking, thats going to be the next logical step in engine conversions. Would love to see one of those in a mk1 or a lupo ;)

Stage 4 APR kit is available for these engine which pushes 410bhp.

Theres quite alot about for them.

APR's stage 4 isn't as such a kit. It's a full engine, Turbo, manifold, intercooler etc. the full lot. They are currently only available as the 'Dubai Spec' engine.

As of yet APR don't look to be producing the 400+ bhp Turbo kit without the rest of the engine to go with it.

APR also do a map for the 1.4 twin charged engine that takes it to around 200bhp and 230lb-ft iirc.