Low ET wheels

ignas

Ok, so I was an owner of a Lupo, now i got a mini. This might be d irrelevant part but Lupo owners might also find this useful. So I bought 17" 7.5 ET20 bbs wheels n they stick out a little. My mechanic is not sure whether it is legal to run wheels that stick out. I lookd up online n people seem to get pulled over for running wheels wid poke, however I havent managed to find any real laws about this. Does anybody know the legal limit or something like that, cos I realy dont want to sell these wheels lol. thanks

Just so you have avague idea, that is how it looks, unfortunately I havent got a pic from d side

DSC00204.jpg

It's a grey area.

The way I read the constructions and use rules you're allowed 30mm of poke, but that's not to say the Po-po will see it the same way.

It looks from that picture as though your tyre tread will be visible from above, in which case I would say you will get pulled, sooner or later.

there awsome wheels buddy, but phill is deff right about the tyres sticking out from the arch, what u could do is get smaller width tryes, but looking at this pic it looks like wheels are far out the arches,,,

****... well once the front suspension is fixed, i will put all of them on and see if they rub the arches when turning the steering wheel, if they dont I will try my luck lol

Stretch the tyres and the tread should get covered by the arches. From what i know of, if tread is visible from a birds eye view, its illegal. As said, its a massive grey area. I was pulled for it, and still awaiting the court date, but thtas been nearly 8 months now, and as soon as i explained what i just have, they seemed to back off and not harras me for not paying the fine.

Similar related question here about Offset. I'm looking at some 7x15 wheels with an offset of ET24?

Whats the minimum ET I should be looking at, for wheels to "comfortably fit" under the arches. I dont want to be doing some extreme tyre stretching and archwork to make them fit ;)

Sorry to highjack this thread, but got a similar kinda question (also a bit of a sanity check for me!) :wacko:

If I got some steels 6" wide with ET of 38 and had them banded to 8" then the ET becomes 12, is that right?

If so, would I end up with poke on a standard Lupo (not a gti)? Would stretched tyres help? (I was thinking of 195s)

Cheers :)

Not sure what the ET would become. I run 8j ET0 on the rear of my 1.0 with a 165/55 tyre. Tread is covered, and it has a nice little poke. I think you'd get away with ET12, but i would look at a smaller tyre, 175 being my first option.

If I got some steels 6" wide with ET of 38 and had them banded to 8" then the ET becomes 12, is that right?

If so, would I end up with poke on a standard Lupo (not a gti)? Would stretched tyres help? (I was thinking of 195s)

If they're banded in the middle they'll be ET13.

The tyre tread should not protrude out from the bodywork and the tyre must be within the manufacturers specifications.

165 on an 8" is miles out of specification.

Try telling that to everybody that runs them. I don't think they'd care, like i don't.

I think you're forgetting that they are 165/55, which barely give any more stretch than a 175/50. If it was a 165/45 on a 15, then yes, its more dangerous, but considering 175/50's are run quite often on 8's, these aren't any worse, there fore i highly doubt they are out of recommendations. Seeing at Supertyres fitted them for me and didn't say a word.

I think you're forgetting that they are 165/55, which barely give any more stretch than a 175/50. If it was a 165/45 on a 15, then yes, its more dangerous, but considering 175/50's are run quite often on 8's, these aren't any worse, there fore i highly doubt they are out of recommendations. Seeing at Supertyres fitted them for me and didn't say a word.

No one has said stretch is illegal to me either.

Been to many places to get car looked at, asked for 175/50/13, they were shocked for some reason, but still said they would do it.

If you look at the bridgestone site (you'd need to check with your tyre manufacturer) 165/55 and 175/50's are both rated to 6" width.

http://www.bridgestone.co.uk/English/Global/FILES/BridgestoneDatabook.pdf

There is variation between manufacturers but I can't see one manufacturer saying 165 is suitable for 6" and another saying 8".

There's something a 1/2" discrapancy between manufacturers but not much more than that.

If you look at the bridgestone site (you'd need to check with your tyre manufacturer) 165/55 and 175/50's are both rated to 6" width.

http://www.bridgesto...oneDatabook.pdf

There is variation between manufacturers but I can't see one manufacturer saying 165 is suitable for 6" and another saying 8".

There's something a 1/2" discrapancy between manufacturers but not much more than that.

Yep, looking at that link, Bridgestone rate their 195/45 to 7.5J, Toyo's are rated upto 8J.

Yep, looking at that link, Bridgestone rate their 195/45 to 7.5J, Toyo's are rated upto 8J.

It depends which tyre, and which specific size too though.

15" T1-R in 195/45 are rated to 7.5" whereas 195/50's are 7":

http://www.toyo.co.uk/productdetail.php?identity=products&product_id=2

Lowest I can see for 8" by toyo are proxes 4's in 16" 205/40:

http://www.toyo.co.uk/productdetail.php?identity=products&product_id=62

Edited by richie.guy

It depends which tyre, and which specific size too though.

15" T1-R in 195/45 are rated to 7.5" whereas 195/50's are 7":

http://www.toyo.co.u...ts&product_id=2

Lowest I can see for 8" by toyo are proxes 4's in 16" 205/40:

http://www.toyo.co.u...s&product_id=62

Wha... :huh: I looked recently, and the T1-R was rated to 8J, I must be losing it.

• 4 weeks later...

A little update on this thread. Here is a picture from the back, so you can see what sort of poke it is. I have actually now passed MOT with these wheels. Do you think I would get pulled over? thanks

P.S. for all the wheel whores, sorry for the huge gap in between the arch and the wheel :lol:

DSC00222.jpg

Yeah, I'm sure when I checked 195/45/15 T1-R's were rated to 8j.

When I got my 205/45/15's fitted on the Mono's he was a bit dubious, then checked his little book and it said a 195/45 was ok too. So I don't know if that was just a general guide, or if he actually had the recommended sizes for each tyre.

I can't see how somebody hasn't been done for stretch, really. The manufacturers say "This tyre can be fitted to rim widths between X and Y". If you fit it to a wheel outside of that specification, it is incorrectly fitted, and then surely illegal for use on the road. How much out of the recommended fitment range it is, or what it looks like, doesn't come in to it. It's either right or wrong.

ps. I like stretch. :D:lol:

Whether you get pulled over or not, it looks toss.

thank you, just the answer i was looking for. If it looks like this now, it doesnt mean its gona stay like that forever...