idle problem!

si_leeds

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

alright

had this problem with my mk1.

me and me mechanic changed between us ht leads, plugs, throttle body air filter and checked fuel filters n everything to no real joy!!

was at scrap yard one day and came across near new dizzy cap! now seams to be working a treat with that and a new rotor arm

chris

yes mate i have the same problem with my car... but i had a look in the air box and found a pipe that leads to the sump ...to be honest i dont know what it does but i cleaned it out because it was gunged right up and it seems to run fine now but check yours it could be the problem !

cheers

ck

yes mate i have the same problem with my car... but i had a look in the air box and found a pipe that leads to the sump ...to be honest i dont know what it does but i cleaned it out because it was gunged right up and it seems to run fine now but check yours it could be the problem !

cheers

ck

Crank case breather - gunk comes through this pipe and ends up gunking your throttle body. it contains a small heating element which can fail causing it to become blocked

blocked breathers (pcv) definately cause idle problems on some engines so would start there, ive experienced this fault on lots of different engines and tends to be an idle air control valve, would this engine have one of these?

First things first check for cracks in your brake servo vacume hose this is a known problem so from simply a safety point of view you want to check that out. If that is cracked then

it is an easy fix. The other thing that will cause the same sort of problem is a screwed vapor canister solenoid. Its a little blue and black thing with a pipes coming out of each end.

It can be found on the drivers side of the engine bay. To check if that is the problem you can pull the plug on it and clamp off one of the pipes. By pulling the plug you will get a

warning light on the dash but its nothing to worry about you are 100% safe to drive the car. The worst that will happen is the engine will go into open loop and you may use a little extra

fuel but you may get a little added power :D. Once you plug it in again the engine light will go off in a shot time when driving. I

Both issues cause the same problem. They allow too much air to enter into the engine without the ECU accounting for it. You may find when you slow down the engine dips then

revive its self as the ECU has realised oh crap i need to chuck in a bit more fuel but if it dips too fast the engine will die.

It may be totally unrelated to the above but its another few things to check.

This is a sexy thread. Mine cuts out about 2wice every journey! Cleaned the breather pipe mentioned and it some how made things worse? The throttle body though, I never touched it, mainly because I had nothibg to clean it.

Carb cleaner was mentioned? Just poor it in or take the part off and clean? As much help would be t'riffic!

Fed up of my car ruining my life! Lol =/

This is a sexy thread. Mine cuts out about 2wice every journey! Cleaned the breather pipe mentioned and it some how made things worse? The throttle body though, I never touched it, mainly because I had nothibg to clean it.

Carb cleaner was mentioned? Just poor it in or take the part off and clean? As much help would be t'riffic!

Fed up of my car ruining my life! Lol =/

I take mine off to clean from time-to-time and I'm no mechanic so it can't be that difficult. Problem with cleaning it on the car is that you can only clean one side as you can't get underneath the butterfly (I think that is what they call it) properly.

always take it off if you can, if you dont allow the cleaner a bit off time to evapourate off. only problem with leaving it on is any tar, dirt or grime you wash off has the chance of going into the engine. also brake cleaner is great for cleaning parts.

First things first check for cracks in your brake servo vacume hose this is a known problem so from simply a safety point of view you want to check that out. If that is cracked then

it is an easy fix. The other thing that will cause the same sort of problem is a screwed vapor canister solenoid. Its a little blue and black thing with a pipes coming out of each end.

It can be found on the drivers side of the engine bay. To check if that is the problem you can pull the plug on it and clamp off one of the pipes. By pulling the plug you will get a

warning light on the dash but its nothing to worry about you are 100% safe to drive the car. The worst that will happen is the engine will go into open loop and you may use a little extra

fuel but you may get a little added power :D. Once you plug it in again the engine light will go off in a shot time when driving. I

Both issues cause the same problem. They allow too much air to enter into the engine without the ECU accounting for it. You may find when you slow down the engine dips then

revive its self as the ECU has realised oh crap i need to chuck in a bit more fuel but if it dips too fast the engine will die.

It may be totally unrelated to the above but its another few things to check.

will try that mate, what should i clamp the pipe with? some molegrips or something?