thinking of lowering ?

Greg Thomson

Guest Luponut

From what i've heard just replacing the springs and not the dampers is a bad idea. A couple of months down the line your dampers will go pop.

I'm going to lower my car 40mm with just springs. From what I've been told it is ok to drop 40mm and still use the standard dampers. Any lower say 60mm and uprated dampers would be needed.

I lowered a Renault Clio 40mm on springs, the ride wasn't bad and two years of problem free driving and it flew through 3 MOT's but I'd still recommend splashing a little more dollar and getting coilovers.

I lowered a Renault Clio 40mm on springs, the ride wasn't bad and two years of problem free driving and it flew through 3 MOT's but I'd still recommend splashing a little more dollar and getting coilovers.

Second that. I lowered a 106 on springs and wound the tension bar down, and it was well.. a bumpy ride. But hey, it's probably still going along fine now.

With coilovers though, it's all designed to function "lowered" and gives a much better ride, and, gives you exact control over ride height which can sometimes turn out handy. If you decide to fit varied sizes of wheels down the line, you'll be able to control how the car sits etc...

Guest Luponut

Second that. I lowered a 106 on springs and wound the tension bar down, and it was well.. a bumpy ride. But hey, it's probably still going along fine now.

With coilovers though, it's all designed to function "lowered" and gives a much better ride, and, gives you exact control over ride height which can sometimes turn out handy. If you decide to fit varied sizes of wheels down the line, you'll be able to control how the car sits etc...

I agree with all you say but in my case I am very limited to what I can spend so I have to go with the cheapest option. I can't see me wanting to go lower than 40mm anyway as this height looks very good and its still practical for me as I carry 4 people in my car regularly so I can't have any rubbing.

I agree with all you say but in my case I am very limited to what I can spend so I have to go with the cheapest option. I can't see me wanting to go lower than 40mm anyway as this height looks very good and its still practical for me as I carry 4 people in my car regularly so I can't have any rubbing.

Sounds like a plan mate. I cant boast about being "uber low" with my coilovers though, i've still got about 20mm worth of travel to drop by, but i'm too scared to go that low! lol.. Maybe when i have some wheels worthy i'll go lower... time will tell =)

I ran my Arosa on -45mm AVO springs with standard shocks for 4 years and 14,000 miles. No problems at all.

The original shocks had covered about 17k from new when I swapped the springs.

If you want to go for performance rather than looks, a matched shock and spring kit would be the best way to go if your only wanting to go -40mm-ish

Any lower and you be better going for coilovers, but you get what you pay for. Don't expect superior handling and any level of ride comfort from the budget coilovers.

Coilovers are the way forward. I nearly wasted money on 40mm drop. But 40mm drop on a car with 175/50/13s would look.. tarded. It still does, back isnt low enough. But there are ways around it.

Either way, coilovers = yes!

Totally worth the money, PhilJ ftw. If thats even still going???

Edited by DarkStryder360