spacers???

Rudaz

fitting my new wheels on the front and noticed that i can not spin the wheel like i can normally do and can quite easily see the front of the caliper and can see that it is not rubbing, so wondered if i needed spacers for this? quick serch found that if i have spiggot rings then i would need hubcentric spacers as apposed to the 'floating ones' which my mate confirmed are the better ones any way, is this right?

the new wheels are et 35 and at 15x7, any help appreciated, i would like to try and get this sorted before the weekend as i am ment to be driving to ultimate dubs and my current tyres are shot :lol:

also what size spacer would any one reccomend? thanks

and can quite easily see the front of the caliper and can see that it is not rubbing,

not rubbing? i dont understand the problem

quick serch found that if i have spiggot rings then i would need hubcentric spacers as apposed to the 'floating ones' which my mate confirmed are the better ones any way, is this right?

yes hub centric are alot better,try and get the ones you bolt to your hub with extra bolts

and then bolt your wheel back on with the standard bolts

Edited by loopzmatt

and can quite easily see the front of the caliper and can see that it is not rubbing,

not rubbing? i dont understand the problem

quick serch found that if i have spiggot rings then i would need hubcentric spacers as apposed to the 'floating ones' which my mate confirmed are the better ones any way, is this right?

yes hub centric are alot better,try and get the ones you bolt to your hub with extra bolts

and then bolt your wheel back on with the standard bolts

just ment that the wheel is stuck and not moving, but not on the caliper so didnt know what else it could be :huh:

nothing else really it can catch on

i dont no then champ

erm, what have you done just changed the wheel? nothing else

:yes: only does it on the fronts too. strange

thanks for the reply tho =]

no probs bud

i hate it when you post asking for help and it gets 60+ veiws and like no replies

any helps help right?

Edited by loopzmatt

That's not right.

Flat spacers can be used up to 5mm thickness on 99% all hubs. Ideally they'd have the correct bore and PCD (Like I make) rather than universals which don't sit properly.

'Hubcentrics' i.e. a spacer with a lip on are required, in most cases, if you're going above 8mm thick as you no longer have a hub lip for the wheel to locate on and displace load.

Spigots have nothing to do with spacers.

That's not right.

Flat spacers can be used up to 5mm thickness on 99% all hubs. Ideally they'd have the correct bore and PCD (Like I make) rather than universals which don't sit properly.

'Hubcentrics' i.e. a spacer with a lip on are required, in most cases, if you're going above 8mm thick as you no longer have a hub lip for the wheel to locate on and displace load.

Spigots have nothing to do with spacers.

:huh: like i said i was just going off the search function, but thanks for that info, how would i determin what size spacer to get because i cant seam to find a hubcentric one that is thinner than 10mm

To go less than 10mm with a hubcentric lip you need a press, most people don't make them like that since a press that'll do 8mm+ is expensive.

Since the hub lip is at least 8mm on most cars you have a problem. The spacer is 8mm thick. The hub lip is 8mm thick. How do you create a hubcentric spacer with a lip?

When I made them it wasn't worth the hassle doing less than 10mm (I machined a bush that was pressed into the spacer into a 1mm recess allowing 9mm hub lip depth). Most other manufacturers will just do 15mm+ as it's much less work to make them.

Edited by richie.guy

If your sure it's not the wheel on the caliper, is it fouling on the suspension strut? Does it move at all or is is solid?

Does your hub turn without the wheel on?

Does the wheel turn without the bolts in?

Don't suppose the car is in gear? :wacko:

To go less than 10mm with a hubcentric lip you need a press, most people don't make them like that since a press that'll do 8mm+ is expensive.

Since the hub lip is at least 8mm on most cars you have a problem. The spacer is 8mm thick. The hub lip is 8mm thick. How do you create a hubcentric spacer with a lip?

When I made them it wasn't worth the hassle doing less than 10mm (I machined a bush that was pressed into the spacer into a 1mm recess allowing 9mm hub lip depth). Most other manufacturers will just do 15mm+ as it's much less work to make them.

Good at making wheel sapcers then?

To the OP... Are you still using the standard bolts??

I'm alrite, hubcentrics aren't worth doing for the time involved. Eibach and H&R can easily out-cost me and still make their money.

You just laser cut the thinner ones?

ordered some 10mm spacers from america, it wasnt catching on the caliper but in the 'carrier' part so not much i could do really. tried my mates 15mm spacers on and it didnt look right at all, way too much poke for me, but 5mm wernt big enough so went for 10s.

would quite like to get some for the back, but would anyone recon going up to 15s on the rear or keep with 10s??

Good at making wheel sapcers then?

To the OP... Are you still using the standard bolts??

no using the slightly longer ones i got with the wheels, but have tried both with no success

try youre friends 15mm on the back once you have the 10mm on the front? haha

i probably will do, ha hes gonna hate me making him take them off again :lol:

I run 20mm spacers on the rear with standard 6.5inch Bathursts. Get a bit of rubbing when laden.

Wheel et43 + 20mm spacers = ET23. 15mm wold be better. I have a set of 10mm for the front when I can get off my bum and buy longer bolts.

I run 20mm spacers on the rear with standard 6.5inch Bathursts. Get a bit of rubbing when laden.

Wheel et43 + 20mm spacers = ET23. 15mm wold be better. I have a set of 10mm for the front when I can get off my bum and buy longer bolts.

yea i was thinking 10 on the front and 15 on the rear. im just looking at getting some bolts at the mo, but cant seem to find any, the ones i got for the new alloys have about 28ish mm of thread, so with 10mm spacers added i need about 40mm nuts...correct?? obv they are m12, but what does the x 1.5 mean?? i can only find one set on the bay and dont really know where else to look

• 9 years later...

Have you measured if there's enough running clearance to the arch edges, with full suspension travel? Depending on your tyre choices, you might get away with it. Spacers are available, but your wheel bearings and steering components will be under more stress. Plus, with spacers, the full lock turning circle geometry will be different, so the inside edges of the tyres will scrub badly. It'll be fun in summer in supermarket car parks. Loads of tyre squeal at low speed :)