Coolant Sensor Replacement, Help!

I'm probably going to look like a right fool here, but I bought the parts to replace the coolant sensor on my wife's Lupo (1.0, 2000 reg) and I thought the hard part would be fitting the new sensor but it seems I can't remove the old one!

Following the advice in the How To guides, I inset a screwdriver the bit marked below, but still wasn't able to prise the old sensor off - I pulled quite firmly, but I didn't want to break it.

usOzD.jpg

Any advice would be great!

Also, while I was trying to change it I noticed this cap open:

RqVAl.jpg

Here's another view of it:

8ZELn.jpg

Anyone know what it is and why it was open? I've closed it now - please tell me if this is wrong.

Thanks,

alpha

Firstly, Push the outer of the plug in (don't pull it out), then pull back on the release tab whilst still pushing the plug in, then whilst still pulling back on the tab, pull the plug off.

It should come straight off.

The rubber bung should be closed. This covers up the 'flywheel inspection hole' in the gearbox.

You see the black plastic hoop that is sticking up? Pull that out the the sensor will come out - all the green is the sensor.

As for the other thing, is it on the gearbox?

^ The plug has to come off first before you release the coolant temperature sensor from it's housing.

Edited by nfbr

Thank you both so much, Defcon5 and nfbr.

nfbr, excellent, I'll try this when there is more light - hopefully tomorrow. Will let you guys know how it goes.

Wonder why that bung was open, perhaps someone at VW didn't close it properly after the last service. :confused:

Thanks again. :lol:

• 3 years later...

^

If your ninja like, you'll lose a bit of coolant, however when I tried this on mine, the O-Ring remained in place, and was trying to fit the new one and wouldn't go in, by this time all the coolant was pissing out.

So my best advise is, go to bottom right of the radiator and there should be a red screw. Attach a hose to the drain pipe, then unscrew and flush your coolant out, this will get most coolant out, then put some new VW G13 coolant on the new 0-ring, replace sensor, then fill system back up.

One thing you can do aswell, is undo the radiator drain valve, empty system, tighten back up, fill system with clean water again, run engine for a minute, then undo radiator drain valve again - There is a proper way to flush system but requires undoing various pipes and I couldn't be bothered.

Pros - You will have brand new coolant in the system, which it should be replaced every few years

Cons - Takes longer

Now for some reason I didn't get any air in the system, so didn't need to bleed it. It's not an issue if there is air in the system, you'll just hear a gargling noise near the heater core and your heaters won't get hot, so you might need to find out how to bleed to start with