2011 Polo GTI

MattyA

Also - For anyone who may possibly look into a vehicle with the DSG Gearbox, Don't bother. They seem to be fault prone, cost a fortune to fix and when you have them in the lazy auto mode or sport mode, they are consistantly in the wrong gear when cornering!

I like that, nice bit of chunkiness to it, the side swage line has a hint of recent BMW to me.

Lowered, some wider and larger diameter wheels and some decent seats and I would be pretty interested.

I've only ever driven an A3 3.2 with Audis version of the DSG, which seemed fine. First negative comments I've heard about the DSG tbh.

Anyway a great little car, although at around £18k I guess it needs to be. :P

I've driven the new Ibiza FR which also comes with the DSG 'box, and I liked how easy and smooth it was to drive. I would have prefered a manual personally but as far as automatics go it seemed very good.

I wouldn't touch a DSG box either. I've driven a few, most notably my bosses old a6 with a 2.4 petrol lump (iirc), and it was fine until you get to a certain situation, ie when approaching a round-a-bout, you start slowing down, only to find its clear, so you put your foot down, and off you go. Fine in a manual or a normal auto, but on a DSG, they hesitate, then about 5 seconds later, you get a huge wave of torque, throwing you back in the seat. In my opinion (worth about 1p with 1p change! lol!) this is dangerous.

Now a Polo GTI with a 6 speed manual, yes please, but £18k for a polo...........erm...no! Think I'll wait for the Audi A1!

I actually think it's better looking than the Golf.

But these new Polos are *not* selling. I've only seen two so far. They are basically the same size as the Golf. Way wider, certainly, than any "city car" should be.

If I was in the market for a Golf, I would take one of these instead and save a few grand while not really missing out on anything. Even the interior is pretty much the same as the Golf.

Edited by dxg

Btw, for those questioning the DSG, I fully agree.

But what about the lifespan of the turbo and the supercharger? I wouldn't welcome one of these second-hand round about the 70k mark...

DSG are nice to use. However the rate is 1 in 50 fail and the price to repair is £1800 - £3k and the dealer wont take responsibility and most warrenties exclude DSG boxes for this reason.

Also - For anyone who may possibly look into a vehicle with the DSG Gearbox, Don't bother. They seem to be fault prone, cost a fortune to fix and when you have them in the lazy auto mode or sport mode, they are consistantly in the wrong gear when cornering!

I've driven the new Ibiza FR which also comes with the DSG 'box, and I liked how easy and smooth it was to drive. I would have prefered a manual personally but as far as automatics go it seemed very good.

I've never driven the 6-speed DSG cars, so can't comment, but the Ibiza FR with the 7-speed seemed OK to me. I've not read a complaint about it on SeatCupra.net either for the Cupra (which I assume the Polo GTI is). If we take the approach that it's an automatic with manual shift if wanted, then there shouldn't be a problem. Even my Dad's old 206 Sport with the 4-speed was OK.

In any case, isn't the transmission software reprogramable to eliminate the auto shifts?

However, for those of you that are uncouth, the FR is now available in a 6-speed manual, but only with the 2.0 CR TDI. Easy remap to 170hp should see you right.

And yes, £18k is a lot of money for a Polo, nice that it is. THe Bocanegra is £17k-ish though, so the £1k brand premium still exists.