How to: Smoke headlights

(Edit: Snoopstah - Just to add, avoid touching the glass of actual bulbs with your fingers, as the oil on them will oxidise from the heat of the bulb, leaving a black patch and causing the bulb to fail early)

Ok before I begin, a huge thanks must go to Tigz for tellin me how to do this!

Obviously you need to remove both lights.

Now is a good time to give them a good clean, get rid of the bugs etc. For this i used a pan scrubber.

wash.jpg

Next step is to remove everything from the light, the rubber o ring, and the 2 filliments from inside.

remove.jpg

Now the light is held together with non drying prc. To get around this you must heat the lens up. The best way to do this is in the oven. 1/2 gas mark or 80oC for `10-15` minutes.

bake.jpg

After this, carefully pull the lens apart, oven mits are a good idea as the ****** gets hot!

pullapart.jpg

A picture of it open

open.jpg

The bit you require is the chrome inner ring, as illustrated.

removeinner.jpg

Next you need to rough up the inner chrome, for this i used 600 grade went and dry paper, this is so the paint will take a better hold. (our lass did this, as she wanted to help)

scratch.jpg

The paint i used for this is for plastic models, but and plastic paint will do. I used airfix spray paint from my local model shop for £3.10.

can.jpg

Now to prep the area, as you dont want overspary all over the place. Dont forget to do this outdoors unless you want to get high!

prep.jpg

Now to spray...do this carefully like brush strokes from 9 inches. 2 coats should do, DONT RUSH.

spray.jpg

Now it says to leave to dry for 24hrs, sod that, sick it back in the oven for 10 minutes!!!

rebake.jpg

Ok, put it all together, and rebake the light to get the prc sticky again. Do this for the required 10 minutes, then using force make sure it is all together securely

voila!!

voila.jpg

If you like you can use other colours instead of black. Why not try body colour, or gold!!! Its up to you. Oh and dont forget to put the filliments back in!!!!

Hope this helps you all! :)

Edited by nfbr
Cleaned by: nfbr.
  • Like 2