Mk5 Boot Handle..

electricpanda

Considering it's just an electronic switch, it's probably just as much work, or less, to fit a Phaeton badge, you just touch them and the boot opens. It'd probably look massive on a Lupo though! :lol: And I guess it costs a fair bit too.

What about fitting a switch behind the standard badge? Sure that must be possible.

all done sweat mod :shades: waited about two year before i had the bottle to master it. cost about 640.00 in the end with myself and others on here giving me advice thanks john and colin.. :rolleyes:

No worries. Im glad you got there in the end.

Its an expensive mod, but it looks great. Really suits the lupo imo.

I might be biased though ph34r.gif

John

couldnt an arosa boot be modified to take a vw badge? would that cut down the hassle?

Not really, Arosa uses a mechanical system, Golf handle is electral switch.

Rough costs if you do some of the work yourself...

Golf Mk5 tailgate inc handle... £65inc postage

Solinoid kit... £15-20inc postage

Welding the surround into the tailgate, make and weld in blanking plate... Free, do it at work.

Taking glass out and refitting..... £150?

Paint... £50-100, labour, primer etc free at work.

Relays etc and paying my mate to wire it all in.. £50 days work.

Could do it by not removing glass, I'll try and get another tailgate before I do mine.

Edited by 99hjhm

Do you get the queen to do your glass work, cost me £50 to have front and rear screens removed and refitted

Do you get the queen to do your glass work, cost me £50 to have front and rear screens removed and refitted

Well, beter over estimating than under estimating. It will probably cost £25 and a few cups of tea for the lot if I get a guy I know to do it, does all the older stuff at work, not sure how god he is on the newer stuff, must be ok though, does bonded screens 99% of the time.

Autoglass said £150min to remove my rear 1/4 windows! No joke, no gaurentee, and it could be more if one breaks... haha, jokers!

Not really, Arosa uses a mechanical system, Golf handle is electral switch.

but wouldnt it be just a bolt on and just a little bit of cutting and shutting to take a roundel rather than a square

• 5 years later...
  • 4 years later...
On 2/2/2010 at 8:36 PM, CasperGTI said:

HAHA, you think its that easy?

Let me give you a little insite in to the work that went in to mine, im not trying to sound arrogant or argue here before i start!

You need a donor boot, becasue the mk5 handle itself does not sit flush against the golf boot skin, there is a big mounting assembly and framework in it that needs to be used to get it to sit fush. That is spot welded to the skin and has to be split and then welded to the lupo boot once you have done your hole for the handle. This needs to be spot on, as there is no room for adjustment and it will look poop if you get it in the wrong place or offset a little.

Once you have achieved the metalwork, you can then seam weld arond the edge to stop it leaking then flat it back, skim it and paint it. Astetically its sorted after that, Its very labout intensive if you want a good job, dont expect much change from £400!

Then theres the wiring, Firstly there is no power in the boot that can be used for the popper, The wire needs to be about 17 amp gauge. That needs to be fed in to the boot.... good luck with that as its quite a pain! Inline fused and connected to the battery.

You then need to mount the popper, again it needs custom brackets making and cutting of the framework to run smoothly.

Now, you have power and your popper.. How do you get it to work?

The mk5 handle is electronic, has a very small microswitch which cannot handle the current you will draw from the boot popper. This needs to be fed through a relay to power the popper main supply.

Then if that works, the boot will be unlocked all the time and you wont be able to lock it. So you then need to control the power feed to the microswitch by taking out the central locking module and putting a relay in to change state when a central locking pulse is detected.

Easy huh?

Thanks for all the info, thought I was being clever looking at my Missus Mk5 Golf and thinking it would look cool on my Lupo.
Is this something you'd be interested in doing for a price? Or could you recommend a shop that could do the work for me?