Mk5 Boot Handle..

electricpanda

Just after abit of information,

How difficult is it to get one working on the Lupo?

Is it a case of sourcing a Mk5 boot, a lupo boot, chopping out what I need from the Mk5 Boot, welding and grinding and smoothing it onto a Lupo boot?

It sounds very time consuming, do the people who have them use a popper or have it wired up to the central locking?

Any help is appretiated!

Thanks!

well u wud have it to the central locking just like standard as you still have a handel so ne need for a popper, and yes thats pretty much it, i know you can buy the mk5 handle but obv you dont any metal work from around it, find a mk5 tailgate, cut it out leaving a decent amount of metal around the handle, cut a near identical hole in a lupo boot lid and weld it in, you do have to cut some of the lupo boot inners to get the handle in, i shall be doing this soonish, fairly easy if you know how to weld

well u wud have it to the central locking just like standard as you still have a handel so ne need for a popper, and yes thats pretty much it, i know you can buy the mk5 handle but obv you dont any metal work from around it, find a mk5 tailgate, cut it out leaving a decent amount of metal around the handle, cut a near identical hole in a lupo boot lid and weld it in, you do have to cut some of the lupo boot inners to get the handle in, i shall be doing this soonish, fairly easy if you know how to weld

Err, No.

The Golf handle is electric, so you do need a popper, wired into the central locking, via a relay or two. ;)

Edited by 99hjhm

HAHA, you think its that easy?

Let me give you a little insite in to the work that went in to mine, im not trying to sound arrogant or argue here before i start!

You need a donor boot, becasue the mk5 handle itself does not sit flush against the golf boot skin, there is a big mounting assembly and framework in it that needs to be used to get it to sit fush. That is spot welded to the skin and has to be split and then welded to the lupo boot once you have done your hole for the handle. This needs to be spot on, as there is no room for adjustment and it will look poop if you get it in the wrong place or offset a little.

Once you have achieved the metalwork, you can then seam weld arond the edge to stop it leaking then flat it back, skim it and paint it. Astetically its sorted after that, Its very labout intensive if you want a good job, dont expect much change from £400!

Then theres the wiring, Firstly there is no power in the boot that can be used for the popper, The wire needs to be about 17 amp gauge. That needs to be fed in to the boot.... good luck with that as its quite a pain! Inline fused and connected to the battery.

You then need to mount the popper, again it needs custom brackets making and cutting of the framework to run smoothly.

Now, you have power and your popper.. How do you get it to work?

The mk5 handle is electronic, has a very small microswitch which cannot handle the current you will draw from the boot popper. This needs to be fed through a relay to power the popper main supply.

Then if that works, the boot will be unlocked all the time and you wont be able to lock it. So you then need to control the power feed to the microswitch by taking out the central locking module and putting a relay in to change state when a central locking pulse is detected.

Easy huh?

HAHA, you think its that easy?

Let me give you a little insite in to the work that went in to mine, im not trying to sound arrogant or argue here before i start!

You need a donor boot, becasue the mk5 handle itself does not sit flush against the golf boot skin, there is a big mounting assembly and framework in it that needs to be used to get it to sit fush. That is spot welded to the skin and has to be split and then welded to the lupo boot once you have done your hole for the handle. This needs to be spot on, as there is no room for adjustment and it will look poop if you get it in the wrong place or offset a little.

Once you have achieved the metalwork, you can then seam weld arond the edge to stop it leaking then flat it back, skim it and paint it. Astetically its sorted after that, Its very labout intensive if you want a good job, dont expect much change from £400!

Then theres the wiring, Firstly there is no power in the boot that can be used for the popper, The wire needs to be about 17 amp gauge. That needs to be fed in to the boot.... good luck with that as its quite a pain! Inline fused and connected to the battery.

You then need to mount the popper, again it needs custom brackets making and cutting of the framework to run smoothly.

Now, you have power and your popper.. How do you get it to work?

The mk5 handle is electronic, has a very small microswitch which cannot handle the current you will draw from the boot popper. This needs to be fed through a relay to power the popper main supply.

Then if that works, the boot will be unlocked all the time and you wont be able to lock it. So you then need to control the power feed to the microswitch by taking out the central locking module and putting a relay in to change state when a central locking pulse is detected.

Easy huh?

Piece of P... ;)

It might be easier to fit a Lupo badge to the rear of a mk5 Golf. :lol: Or maybe adapt a Golf tailgate to fit a Lupo?

I got the Golf tailgate, popper kit and relays ;) , but gave up as i couldn't decide what sort of tailgate I wanted, or if I should hack apart my own.

Edited by 99hjhm

wow, never knew the handle was electric! lol

and the mk5 golf one would not sit flush however wouldnt the new polo one sit flush? that has a fairly flat tailate, would be alot easier than the mk5 golf one

does the handle have a key hole under it like the mk2 arosa boot handle?

• 2 months later...