How To: Install sub with OEM headunit.

ermmurray

Ok guys... heres how you install a sub into your foxies without even removing the headunit from the car...

What you will need:

a fli line converter (or other similar) found HERE

a sub with input for RCA leads (red and white)

a short amount of speaker cable

first of all you need to take out the rear (door) cards, to do this you just pull (give it some) on the opening for where the rear seatbelt goes behind the card, be careful not to snap the clips (i managed to snap ALL of mine).

Once you have done this you will see that there is a hole for rear speakers to be installed, you are looking for the speaker cable with a little black plug on the end, depending on which side you are doing the cables are a combination of blue brown and white.. you need to cut off the plug and strip the wire long enough to (either bodge it by just joining the other speaker cable on or do it properly with a wire connecter) add about a meter of speaker cable.

Leave the door cards off as you will need to come back later to do the power, earth and switch cables.

Once you have done this you will need your new line converter (see above or click here ) you then join the speaker cables with there mates on the converter..

i seem to remember i had trouble knowing which cable was positive and which was negative.. i cant remember exactly but i'll have a look and post it later.. let me know if you need this!

once you have done that you now have a headunit with a RCA out for a sub!

so now you need to do the earth, power and switch (rem/remote) cables..

the power one is probably the hardest/takes the longest click here (post number 8) to see my instructions

the earth cable is simple.. if you look at where, on the nearside, there is an earthing point for the boot light and other things, there just happens to be a nice little extra room for a sub earth, this cable should be as short as possible but make sure it is long enough to reach the sub, remembering it needs to go underneath the door card.

once you have done these two cables you can put your sub in and slappa de bass..

BUT PLEASE READ THIS PART!!!

without a remote cable your sub will not switch on!!!!!!!!

heres what you do....

EITHER join a small cable from the power cable to the remote input, this is dangerous however as your battery WILL go flat as the sub will constantly be on, unless you disconnect it every time you switch the car off..

OR find something in the car ( i used the cigarette lighter) that switches off when the car is switched off.. then join these cables and you should be fine.. this takes a little bit of know how so if you don't know what you are doing i suggest you ask someone who does..

then all you need to do is put the door cards back on heres a picture of my cables coming from the bottom left of the nearside card _MG_0007p1-1.jpg

and heres a picture of the sub's amp with the cables _MG_0006p1.jpg

please dont hesitate to ask any questions

and please note you are doing all this at your own risk, i will not accept any liability/responsibility if something goes wrong for you.

Ed

Excelent post. I found some rear speaker cablel converters ( mk5 golf connectors ) they convert all the coulours to one black and one red. I will post a pic up when I get home.

Loving your work.

• 5 months later...
  • 8 months later...