breather pipe puting oil into air box

derek lupo

Oil vapours arent allowed to be sent to atmosphere so they usually re-circ them back into the inlet.

Could be just the vapours building up and it is dripping in or possible oil surge or maybe worse case an oil pressure problem.

Have you had the pipe off and cleaned it up?

Just wait for a few more engine people to jump online as ive never worked on one of these engines so just making assumptions from other engines.

You should not be topping up the oil that often if at all. Mine hardly looses a drop.

Have you got under the car to check for leaks?

Have you also check to see if you have blue smoke coming out the exhaust when its warmed up on high revs?

Edited by Mike_M

Sounds to me like one of your breather pipes or box is clogged up, this would cause a build up of pressure and spit it out of another breather pipe.

Run it up to temp, remove the airbox and get a mate to rev it up a bit and chances are it will be spitting out of the rocker cover breather, just clean all pipes and the box (located on the back of the engine)Thit should sort your problem pall.

Edited by lupoluke

How much are you topping it up by and exactly how often?

Might sound pointless, but will help me in my diagnosis (currently at college, just done some work on these kinds of problem, but in a motorsport aplication) i may still be able to help though.

Cheers, James.

i would be toping up half a liter every 4 days i am in collage doing the same and i work motor 4 a motorsport place to but i am always working on evo's and mr2's so dont know much about lupos

Edited by derek lupo

i would be toping up half a liter every 4 days i am in collage doing the same and i work motor 4 a motorsport place to but i am always working on evo's and mr2's so dont know much about lupos

Using that amount of oil per week in any car irrelevant of what it is would scream major problems

Sounds like its piston rings to me, but you say it isn't smoking very much?? Problem could be somewhere else, but that is a lot of oil to be using.

If the above is directed at me, then it has been covered, but i am no expert which is why i needed a little more info on the problem to come to my conclusion.

Cheers, James.

wel i had the car runing with the breather off and it was putting blue smoke throw it but i think the blue smoke is turning into oil in the air box and it aint leaking i had it up on the ramp and couldnt see any leaks and their is no oily patches in the drive way has anyone else had this problem ?? also i just got the car and it has a 0ne liter gearbox so the car would rev quite high

Edited by derek lupo

Are you suggesting that the car is burning oil that is coming throught the breather? You are losing far too much for it to be doing this (it will be burning a bit this way mind you, but a very small amount)