Stu's Lupo Gti- ICE SQ install/Custom Dash

One life. Live it!

WOW looks soooo nice Stoo

Well done mate

Look forward to seeing it and you at UD :thumbsup:

Keep up the ultra strong work

Ryan

Cheers Ryan! Will look forwards to catching up with you at UD!

Love the wheels Stu!

Sorry I didn't reply at Christmas - hope you and the family had a good time!

Can't wait to see the Lupo in person again!!

See you soon!

Em :)

Thanks Emma- no worries! We had great time over xmas thanks!

Am really looking forwards to UD and catching up with you guys! Let's see if I not leave anything this time!!

Excellent work stu! An amazing car and a complete credit to all your dedication and hard work. You coming to UDs hope to see you there :)

Alex

Cheers Alex! Perhaps you can finally have a listen @ UD? If so your 1st on list! Will look forwards to catching up with you! ;-)

Lol, i am supprised i did not spot this lupo as it went through kent, very nice indeed.

Cheers Man! Went through Kent fairly speedily! ;-)

Had some changes internally on the dash for the soundoff which was to improve the sound. Carbon pods to get the midrange more ' on axis'

7a8b8d0e.jpg

7401f36a.jpg

This was definately function over form as aestheticically i think the midranges looked better within the dash.

I've bought this

4077fa5a.jpg

Which means starting again!

Feedback from the European judges suggested that the centre binnacle was affecting sound reflection, ideally the midrange speaker pods needed to be full on axis, and midbass sound wasn't as effective in the lower door panels.

In a move to push things on I found an pioneer ODR processor which is better than my current one. I found it in Japan as there are special options over there, not available here, because they are prepared to pay a little extra for an

improved sound.

a2cb36b4.jpg

It's second hand and a little scratched on the surface but I will get it colourcoded like my existing one so it wont matter.

So the plans for my new layout will take into consideration all of these factors but will look aesthetically better.

2ebc38d5.jpg

You might have noticed the different grilles these are less restrictive sound wise. Looking at changing these with the new design - watch this space! ;-)

This is insane. Very good job.. Must have spent a fortune on this.

Thanks. It makes it that much harder to redo the dash again! Over time there's been a few pennies spent but I get great enjoyment from it especially as I use it every day!

• 4 months later...

Yo! Yo! Yo! Yooooo! It really has been toooo loooong! I'm resurrecting this thread!!

Am going to post a few pics tonight, just to let you know that things are happening again!

It seems quite a shame after all the work on the dash but it's no more!

(I will be selling bits of it in classifieds this week).

After competing in the eurofinals of the EMMA soundoffs there was a lot of feedback which meant major changes again SO it had to be done! Was going to keep it all under wraps but hey it's good to show the development over time.

Stu;-)

Woow looking forward to see the changes and gladits back!

Thanks Lupo-joe! It's good to be back!

Ok here's the first photo - can you guess what this is?!!

1234c3f0.jpg

Stu, where/how did you source the custom speaker grilles from?

I am looking to replace the standard grilles in the GTI and want something a bit sexier.

Car interior looks mad by the way!!!!! :thumbsup:

Stu, where/how did you source the custom speaker grilles from?

I am looking to replace the standard grilles in the GTI and want something a bit sexier.

Car interior looks mad by the way!!!!! :thumbsup:

Hi! & Cheers! :-)

The surrounds were custom made from billet (engineering shop made) & the actual grille parts that go across are - wait for it- kitchen door handles!!! Il be selling the surrounds as soon as I've cleaned them up as with the new development we are not using them!

Right... Next pics

95e6cfb0.jpg

96437493.jpg

c262807c.jpg

7b7ad76d.jpg

Ok, I guess this must look pretty mad but there is logic behind this!!

The two 'pods' have been welded out of 4mm steel actually into the bulkhead. They are not moving anytime!

The reason behind this is that they are for the midbass speakers!!

One of the issues previously at the euros was that some of the midbass sound was being lost by a) it being low in the doors & B) the actual physical size of some of the judges actually blocked sound!! (one German judge had difficulty fitting in my Lupo! - no joke!!)

So, by fitting the midbass pods on top of the dash, it cuts out any issues of this happening. The midbass will reflect off the windscreen in yer face!! With the speakers fixed into the pods there is absolutely no issues of loss of midbass - with the pods Rock solid there will be pretty much no unwanted resonance!

Extreme - but awesome at the same time!! ;-)

95e6cfb0.jpg

The reason behind this is that they are for the midbass speakers!!

Thank God for that!! I wondered if this was an in-car toilet....... :lol:

LOL! That could be quite a nice optional extra! I'd have to be a good aim though- especially whilst driving!

:-)

It actually looks like it might encroach quite a lot within the cabin however Dave (whose doing the work) has been very clever In creating more space. You will see when the dash piece goes over.

The dash is looking a bit bare now isn't it? Here is a replacement dash that's been cut in to allow space for the speaker pods.

f03c3634.jpg

6a410855.jpg

The eagle eyed amongst you might notice the HU faceplate in situ as to where it's going to go!