Stu's Lupo Gti- ICE SQ install/Custom Dash

One life. Live it!

Passed you just as you got onto the M5 northbound motorway yesterday, almost didnt recognise it as a lupo at first with the alterations to the rear bumper.

Passed you just as you got onto the M5 northbound motorway yesterday, almost didnt recognise it as a lupo at first with the alterations to the rear bumper.

Yes i was in my way to work! Were you in your loop?

You Taunton way?

Stu;-)

Yes i was in my way to work! Were you in your loop?

You Taunton way?

Stu;-)

yup, was out in the third lane just as you came up the slip road, I live just north of tton near kingston st mary.

I took part in the 5th round of the EMMA soundoff yesterday near Oxford. Since my first competition in Milton Keynes obviously there has been the new sound processor and the new sub upfront so I was eager to see how this improved my scores from the judges perspective.

My overall score went from 275 to 305 and sound from 205 to 228. This might not seem a lot but it is within this style of competition!

Had some good constructive feedback which ofcourse will mean a few more changes- but nothing too drastic!!

At the awards ceremony I was extremely pleased to win first place in experienced unlimited and collected this....

04db10cd.jpg

I can now enter the national final at silverstone at the trax show which is on the same weekend as edition unfortunately!

top work dude! was a good day, wish i entered now just to see the feedback

Thanks Rob! Glad you enjoyed the day! You need to enter one now- you know you want to!!

• 1 month later...

Well, it's been a while....

I've now recieved my new alloys although I havnt actually fitted them yet! Firstly i had to change all the bolts (all 120 of them) and now they are currently in the workshop to be colourcoded to match the roof, just like the 003's. As soon as they are on an sit right I will put some pics up!

Most of my focus recently has been in the sounds department. The European Mobile Media Association have thier national championships @ Trax @ silverstone at the beginning of September so there is a few tweaks to be done in preparation!

All the amps have come out and been sent back to have a factory upgrade which will aim to bring about a more dynamic sound to match the speakers. Whereas the outers are being polished to an inch of their life!

Apart from a few little adjustments that WAS going to be it BUT the head unit that team pioneer use in their installs came up second hand so i felt I had to take the plunge and go for it!

1c140ecb.jpg

I certainly didn't plan the HU but if I do manage to win my class at the nationals this will get me to the European finals and it will definitely make me more competitive by bringing out further detail from the songs. Be brilliant if I can fly the british flag in Germany - let's hope it's enough!

I think I'll one day have to come along to one of these shows as I don't really understand them. I was in a show a few weeks back and there was a citroen there with one of these sound system installs and he had a few trophies sat at the rear of the car, which I can only assume were from ice competitions, but all I could hear from it was BOOOOOOOOOOOM BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRP WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARP BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM! I was just thinking well surely if I stuck a load of amps and speakers in the back of my car just to make sure it made the biggest load of noise then it's not really that difficult to rack up the trophies, just expensive. But obviously as his was the only car of that genre there I had nothing to compare it to!

Awsome Stu! Well done on the trophey!

Thanks Alex! Was pleased to see you got yourself a trophy too!

Loopete- in the soundoff competitions there's two main different areas- sound quality and sound pressure level. The first obviously tries to get the music to sound as close to source as possible and the SPL as loud as possible. Theres different categories in SQ relating to experience and cost. You are right that obviously more expensive kit has the potential to sound better but there is great skill in getting it to sound right in the car chosen. Less expensive kit has trumped more expensive though by being set up/tuned installed in a better way.

Be happy to demo/go through with you from a sound quality perspective. It does depend on the quality of a recording but rather than just a wall of sound, you can place instruments, hear for instance strings being plucked, or taking of a breath to actually believing that person is singing in front of you there in the car!

Stu;-)

surely if I stuck a load of amps and speakers in the back of my car just to make sure it made the biggest load of noise then it's not really that difficult to rack up the trophies, just expensive. !

Thats the theory, but it's certainly not the reality! It takes a lot of hard work, dedication and ultimately knowledge to get "the loudest car" or "the best sq car".

Box design is the underlying factor when trying to get LOUD, which really is an art to itself!!

It gets VERY VERY complicated when you start talking about 4th order bandpass, tapped horn or transmission line enclosures and each and every one has it's own unique sound, which an untrained ear may not fully appreciate.

I have no doubt that if you just threw a load of expensive gear in your car, that someone could come along and have a better sound, spending only 1/5th of the value of yours.

Edited by Cooper_GTI

Thats the theory, but it's certainly not the reality! It takes a lot of hard work, dedication and ultimately knowledge to get "the loudest car" or "the best sq car".

Box design is the underlying factor when trying to get LOUD, which really is an art to itself!!

It gets VERY VERY complicated when you start talking about 4th order bandpass, tapped horn or transmission line enclosures and each and every one has it's own unique sound, which an untrained ear may not fully appreciate.

I have no doubt that if you just threw a load of expensive gear in your car, that someone could come along and have a better sound, spending only 1/5th of the value of yours.

Yes that's exactly right. There's a lot of science within car audio within both area SPL and SQ. It's surprised me how much there is to know - and comparitively how little I know! To ultimately squeeze the best out of a car audio system is quite a journey. Each change that has happened to my build has brought about change - some not always for the better!!

I had all decent kit in there but I don't think it was optimised till I had it fully tuned and set up properly- and that is another science that is super complicated again!!

The competitions are useful as you get extremely knowledgable people judging/assessing your system and offering advice on how to improve further. I can only recommend it! :-)

• 2 weeks later...

I did say I'd post a pic of the new wheels. Just got them back from the paintshop and here you go!

ecd6d16b.jpg

I chose these because I don't think I've ever seen these in splitrim form in the uk? (on a Lupo)

Edited by OnelifeLiveit!

Cheers Guys! Really glad you like! Will put them on this coming week, in preparation for the UK soundoff. Also

REALLY happy with how the system is sounding now!

All amps came out...

066a9e29.jpg

They were all upgraded internally to bring about even better sound quality, polished, then put back..

b14101ca.jpg

Shiny! ;-) Just need a little touch up on one of the painted badges.

The amps together with the new head unit has squeezed another level out of the system- bit more sparkle, more of a 3D sound effect and most importantly more detail. I'm hearing things from tracks I know well, that I hadn't heard before - which is exactly what I wanted!

Thought I'd show the development of my new alloys. I put the rears on today and they just need a little push out so am going to get some 20mm spacers.

I got the wheels like this..

36e99953.jpg

Then changed the bolts..

a48cd345.jpg

And this is how they sit today...

f18bb363.jpg

Will get them sitting right by the end of the week! Am pleased how they look though! :-)

New wheels look lovely stu :)

Cheers Alex! Am really pleased with the overall look. Just got to get them sitting right now! I ordered a 20mm set of hubcentrics today for the rears, for next day, so will be able to fit them sometime this week!