Stu's Lupo Gti- ICE SQ install/Custom Dash

One life. Live it!

Been a bit quiet on this but that's not to say there's nothing happening! It's all in the planning!

Having the cambelt and waterpump done over the weekend - even though it was 'supposed' to be done by the guy I bought it off - but that's another story!

Next week the sound system is being tuned, tweaked and adjusted to get the best out of it ready for next years EMMA soundoff competitions!

Have aquired a few things both for inside and out of the loop but got to see how funds allow to instigate some of them!

Stu;-)

Can't wait to see the updates Stu :)

Thanks Emma! I hope I can do the loop justice! B)

Been having a problem with the actuator which drops the head unit out of the dash. The ribbon cable that goes from the mf steering wheel seems to be breaking up. James is coming over tomorrow to try a different cable- hopefully that will be the end of the issues with that!

• 3 weeks later...

Thankyou very much for the heads up on this one! Have been looking at different options for carbon fibre rear diffuser. Seen some already made up- obviously for mk1 TT - but waiting on quote for custom work again to match other carbon work. Havnt seen this particular diffuser and really like the look of it. Got to decide on smooth look or with a lttle feature like in the DTM style!

Will post some pics soon but got a GTi rear bumper to make it easier to integrate the diffuser (as this is my daily) and a TT diffuser to make a mould for the carbon.

Sound system has stepped up another level on the sound quality stakes as it's been tuned and set up again - much more integrated sound and more accurate! On acoustic music you can place instruments and voices and 'hear' far more detail. On one track I can actually hear the piano keys bottoming out!!

Some other work planned but got to get my tax bill out the way first!!

Thanks Emma - if all goes to plan il be happy!! You never know it might - just this once!! :-)

Cheers Carl- it was great meeting up with you and thanks again for making the effort to pop over and see me!

What about this for a contrasting bumper colour!! You wouldn't miss me would you?!!!

27259e97.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well... It's been a while! Apologies firstly to Mike in above thread I've had nightmare with my phone and computer which has meant I couldn't post. A new phone has helped and to make things easier I've re registered(don't ask) so it is still me, but with noobie postcount!!

I wanted to say a big THANKYOU for all those that voted for me in the polls it really was much appreciated. Big Congrats to the worthy winners in all categories.

Will post up progress (or lack of) soon!

Whats the full spec of all the audio you've put in stu?

Hi!

Ive been meaning to do it for a while, so will do this asap in the ice section. Il post up with pics the full install details like others have done in that section! Sorry for really late reply but Hopefully got all the technical gremlins sorted now! (should have whispered that!)

Stu;-)

Only just seen this thread, amazing!

Thanks! Will look forward to showing some progress on this. I have collected a few 'bits' for the cause and also got some work planned but will show once done as there's a fair bit to do yet!!

Had my fair share of problems with this recently! The complex sound system is not working at the moment so my journeys to work are very boring!! Still having issues with the actuator motors that drive the back seat and head unit. There's also been a few other niggles but such is life!!

It's still driveable but the winter weather has been very unkind. I'm going to have to do some major, major cleaning and detailing before the next show season!!

Onwards and upwards! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I'd add my last post again as it vanished with the site going down! Here's what I've been doing!!

97debe04.jpg

Had one of the rear tyres rip on the m5- luckily no real issues! I don't have a spare tyre so had to get rescue service out. Was bloody freezing! Waited an hour but the loop was too low to get on thier flatbed. Had to wait for another flatbed that would go lower!

Back on the road again now!

What caused it? Stretched tyres?

Not too sure if it was the stretch? The wheels have been losing quite a bit of air. I think the varying tyre pressure won't have helped!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the build up towards UD has started although it's not certain I've got a place yet! :blink:

Went over to see custom exhaust place yesterday with the TT rear diffuser to talk through possibilities. Even though its not straightforward and a bit of bodywork needs 'adjusting' - it's a goer!! :D

I've chosen the twin rear exhaust tips to be mated on and they look niiice!

I've gone for a double skinned, single round with slash back which will be fitted flush with the rear diffuser.

This is TT rear diffuser as is today

a3152c59.jpg

And hopefully this is what it will look like in the next week..

025799f4.jpg

And as more carbon fibre is being added I thought it was rude not to add these too..

0f96316e.jpg

Thanks Rich- must admit the same- can't wait - will find out soon enough! :shades:

Emz-.thanks yes all good here! Looking forward to seeing all your new additions too!

Alex- cheers- will catch up soon! :)

taking it to the next level stu love it!

Thanks Carl- yup very excited now I know how it's all going to be done! :)

Got some very special touches all mapped out for front end too! :D

If I dont get in for Ultimate Dubs then il try and go for the GTI international early April.

How's all your plans going?

rear end with the twin pipes is going to be awesome,ive been dying for ages for someone to do this, i think its been tried on every other vw other than th elupo so will make a nice change,

Well I've got you to blame for this really Jamie!! :lol: I liked the idea of having some more TT influence on my build and the rear diffuser, and when you photoshopped the images that kinda sold it to me really!! :wub:

James (the 99 one!) also found that shot of that black GTI from Germany with the rear diffuser and it did look good but then I thought perhaps that was Photoshop too?! I'd already bought a rear bumper and TT rear diffuser so went to the custom exhaust place with a little trepidation.

When we looked at the placement of the diffuser, one of the exhaust cutouts was smack bang where the towing eye was :wacko:

So the guys like - mmm don't know if this is doable?!! Luckily James (who done build) saw a way around it!

We are going to lose rear towing eye, possibly some of bodywork around it and move the battery- not easy, but still doable! One other saving grace is the amount of space within the rear bumper moulding. I can't wait!! :shades:

Thanks Carl- yup very excited now I know how it's all going to be done! :)

Got some very special touches all mapped out for front end too! :D

If I dont get in for Ultimate Dubs then il try and go for the GTI international early April.

How's all your plans going?

need to get my arse in gear the car hasnt liked this winter its going in for a full respray in may things should pick up pace then boring stuff like service, cambelt and water pump are being done this month hopefully it should be ready for inters