Stu's Lupo Gti- ICE SQ install/Custom Dash

One life. Live it!

3a81d425.jpg

Filler to get a nice smooooth finish

f71ef7a4.jpg

This shows the start of the central piece that follows the lines of the clocks.

43797162.jpg

You can also see the top dash piece that will use existing air vents and cap over the head unit on top of the dash.

Stu! Haven't seen this thread for nearly a year!

WOW :wub:

Unbelievable work as per usual! Crazy!!!

Hey Brad! ;-)

Yes! It's been a while!! Same Gti just different modifications! It's guns blazing to get it all ready for the EMMA soundoffs this year. Need to enter at least 2 shows including the Finals & win my category to stand a chance of qualifying for the euro finals - not to much pressure then!!

Hope it's all good your way?

this is all coming together quickly stu impressed

Cheers Carl! :-)

Dave is on fire! :-)

Certainly gathering momentum now. Great to see! I can't wait to get all the finishing done but you can certainly see its taking form now! :-)

Following on from the yesterday you can see the non standard centre console. Originally had got the new pioneer app radio to put in but Dave thought it would be quite cool to add an iPad instead. I didnt think it would fit but by just making the centre console a little bigger it gives a nice clean look. Best thing is I can link films, music & satnav through it which brings a lot more features on the move.

The clever aspect of this also is that he had effectively created a 'floating' panel that slots in front of the temperature/air conditioning controls.

ad24bf3e.jpg

All I need to do is slot the iPad out to get control of the temperature , it's not going to change much on the go!

You can see the backplate and controls within- clever stuff to get the bigger screen in & give cleaner lines.

You can also now see some of the filling and shaping around to create the console surround. A further removable panel might go over this also to create a feature surround.

The dash will flow into the console.

36b4e5ba.jpg

You can also see the head unit in position. I noticed a bIg improvement in sound quality when this was added to the system - it's the same one used by team pioneers competition cars.

Getting a little closer all the time! :-)

• 2 weeks later...

Right, got the midbass's position rock solid, centre console coming on, now for some other speaker positions! This next pic shows the positions for the midrange speakers.

9e4e8d6c.jpg

This shows the midranges out wide in the sail panels -this will help give a wide soundstage across the dash & once the sound processor is set up it will make sound appear wider than the car itself.

bd2cb6ae.jpg

The speaker surround structure has been made with birch ply which denser than mdf. (less likely to vibrate) Then covered in stockingette to create the shape, then set in resin.

1fb1be79.jpg

f3b4c626.jpg

2f56a4cb.jpg

80307b08.jpg

cc978564.jpg

Once fixed in place the speakers are placed pretty much on axis facing the driver to help with the sound direction.

This shows the dash with the filler up to the windscreen to allow the next speakers - the tweeters- to blend in

16a31737.jpg

This shows the tweeter pods

372dbdc8.jpg

Another rear position but close up

7b3e155c.jpg

And now the full frontal!!

476c992b.jpg

The tweeters will be facing on axis too.

AHHA! i thought i recognised the inside of this Gti. I parked up next to you outside Chemical Records, Bristol whilst i popped in to buy some records.

Had a sneaky peak through your window and liked what i saw. Got a photo of the two aswell, this was quite a while ago now.

IMG_0195.jpg

AHHA! i thought i recognised the inside of this Gti. I parked up next to you outside Chemical Records, Bristol whilst i popped in to buy some records.

Had a sneaky peak through your window and liked what i saw. Got a photo of the two aswell, this was quite a while ago now.

IMG_0195.jpg

Ah yes-chemical records - one of my favourite haunts when I've got a spare hour or two! If your local when I've finished you are welcome for a demo. What sort of music you into?

im no sound expert but having the tweeters firing across those mids will that not affect sound?, loving the new look of the dash, ipads a neat touch

Thats a good shout actually Jamie but I have it on authority that their placement, and especially with the new speakers are a tried and tested method of two previous european champions. You would think the sound waves might be impeded with paths crossing but there is method with their placement. :-)

Ah yes-chemical records - one of my favourite haunts when I've got a spare hour or two! If your local when I've finished you are welcome for a demo. What sort of music you into?

I mostly mix Drum n Bass, Liquid and Dark but i sometimes enjoy abit of breakz, do you work there do you?

I mostly mix Drum n Bass, Liquid and Dark but i sometimes enjoy abit of breakz, do you work there do you?

No I don't work there but I love just going down & listening to all the music. I mostly listen to Tech house, deep house & electronica but it has opened my ears to other stuff merely by being able to have a listen to anything! I found phealeh's stuff there which I love! ;-)

Right next instalment....

1d668203.jpg

This shows the start of the A pillar builds. Even though we are not using them for the tweeters it will look better when covered.

e49224f4.jpg

e953dd26.jpg

These will eventually be covered by alcantera.

I used to get most of my breaks vinyl from chemical...mail order though!

• 4 weeks later...

Havnt updated in a while but the project rolls on!

Rear 3/4 panels are being totally reconstructed as two of the amplifiers that were in the boot will be placed there.

8fb29424.jpg

79d3580b.jpg

These are being moulded from fibreglass to follow the lines of the TT seats, rear pockets and to follow the lines front the back rear panel to front door panels.

f82b68f4.jpg

a76c645c.jpg

edceb9eb.jpg

The panels are prepared and smoothed & a cut out made to insert the genesis amps.

98a690f7.jpg

You can see in the next pic how it follows the existing lines and moulds smoothly with existing surround

2aaac954.jpg

6351bcfe.jpg

I love how the lines of the panels follow rear to front

f71bb9c5.jpg

The front dash subwoofer box was taken out and has been reconstructed to minimise intrusion into the passenger footwell.

Dave, who is doing the construction, has used a bit of lateral thinking. He has built a box out of birchply (bit denser than mdf), and made a raised floor and gone up into the dash to create the volume needed for the sub.

cd660bd3.jpg

d2420018.jpg

Managed to get some shelves off mike here on Club Lupo and they have been blended into the custom console.

b202c686.jpg

3c91e57f.jpg

Still a fair bit to do but getting there! ;-)

Edited by OnelifeLiveit!

New lower door panels as they will be nothing in them. (prior I had midbasses in & crossovers).

b757aeae.jpg

And showing clean finish, but they will be leathered with painted insert.

632dd509.jpg