Stu's Lupo Gti- ICE SQ install/Custom Dash

One life. Live it!

Hey Carl! Good to be back! How's tricks?! ;-)

im good mate looks like youve been busy good to see some update of what youve been up to

This is mental. You have balls. I like balls.

Glad you like Koop! It's Dave above that has the big kahunas to actually do the work!

I just say yeh f€it! Let's do it!

There has been SO many changes to this project but the aim with it this time is to do the maximum necessary to get optimum sound. If this can be done whilst being cosmetically pleasing to the eye, then all the better!!

:-)

im good mate looks like youve been busy good to see some update of what youve been up to

Good to hear it Carl! The plan is to get it ready for round 3 of the UK EMMAS @ Brands Hatch, failing that the 4th round!

Whats news with your loop- anything on the ICE front?

Good to hear it Carl! The plan is to get it ready for round 3 of the UK EMMAS @ Brands Hatch, failing that the 4th round!

Whats news with your loop- anything on the ICE front?

looks like dave has his hands full! props for starting all over again, all my audio is currently out of the car as ive sold my interior and gone for a total new look with everything got my new seats back from the trimmers last week picking up some other bits this week then the audio will be going back in im missing it badly im sick of humming tunes in my head now :lol:

looks like dave has his hands full! props for starting all over again, all my audio is currently out of the car as ive sold my interior and gone for a total new look with everything got my new seats back from the trimmers last week picking up some other bits this week then the audio will be going back in im missing it badly im sick of humming tunes in my head now :lol:

I shall look forwards to seeing all the new work Carl. Exciting! I can imagine you must be really missing your tunes!

You will have to let us know what shows you are doing - be good to hook up! Good luck!

thanks stu im hoping to have the car ready for cumbria vag on the 8th of july, from there the vw festival and edition38 i knew with all the work id be missing quite a a lot of events this year but heyhoe the sun hasnt been out yet so havnt really missed much imo!

thanks stu im hoping to have the car ready for cumbria vag on the 8th of july, from there the vw festival and edition38 i knew with all the work id be missing quite a a lot of events this year but heyhoe the sun hasnt been out yet so havnt really missed much imo!

I feel the same. Missing a few shows but there's plenty more & it'll all be worth it when it's all done!

2bef51ca.jpg

This photo shows the clocks in thier central position with the part above being cut out to be able to take head unIt.

Everything is centred from the wood to ensure its all level.

09ce5925.jpg

You can see quite a bit of space has been made to take the head unit. I wouldn't have thought it would have been possible but there is enough room to fit it!

In the soundoffs in higher categories you can score more points for ergonomics. The head unit there is visually easier to see & also I think looks better higher up.

f919b6d0.jpg

The central channel above the clocks has been separated and covered to minimise heat from the blowers. Previously with the carbon fibre binnacle a LOT of heat was coming through. Excessive heat + head unit = not good!

The last picture also highlights where the reflection of sound will be. If you look at the reflection of the pods in the windscreen, you can see where the midbass will be projected. Dave has done an excellent job in the positioning of these. Even though the focus on the build is sound quality I reckon will give still give "bass in yer face!"

Youre mad :lol:

keep the updates coming, always good to see

Youre mad :lol:

keep the updates coming, always good to see

Hey Marcus! How's it going?! ;-) am I right in thinking you sold your red Lupo?

Well, certainly hadn't planned to do this again BUT you know how these things work!

You get so far & you think il just do this & that and before you know it you've gone a lot further than you thought you would!

Now the new work is all about getting the car to sound its very, very best! ;-)

nowthis intresting, im likeing th new arrnagment, , ever though of trying to get a mini dash binnacle to work with the speedo and rev counter all in on in that central area? could be intresting!

nowthis intresting, im likeing th new arrnagment, , ever though of trying to get a mini dash binnacle to work with the speedo and rev counter all in on in that central area? could be intresting!

Hey Jamie!

I have seen a mini dash done in a golf before & it did look mint! Hadn't thought about it for mine though!

Did consider a TT one once, as there is elements of TT within the build. I believe that has been done but was a nightmare to do!

I've got some more pics to upload which will show you the development of the build as it is at the moment & basically the clocks position has been set. I think id give Dave (fabricator/installer) a heart attack if I suggested another major change. I do like your suggestion though, as I did love it on the golf I saw!

f67cfe52.jpg

This shows the fleece on one side that is put over the dash to form an initial shape. This is set with resin.

751a5ab2.jpg

179455a3.jpg

6d50e513.jpg

Luckily I managed to find a second hand set of Gti clocks on eBay so that they could be used instead of the originals, which helps keep everything clean!

Crazy work as always Stu! Good to see you are still around with the Lupo :)

Alex

Thanks Alex! Good to hear from you! Hope it's all good your way?

Was really stoked on your placing @ UD! Very well deserved!

Yes, going a bit crazy again but that's half the fun!

Righto! Next installment!

Start of the fibreglassing - showing the centre panel where clocks slot in

99097df1.jpg

And the whole dash

d0395cc3.jpg

Love the way it gives the dash a whole different feel and form. It sits differently too - better I think!

Ooh I just clocked your s****y red handles, very nice. Not hanging about here are you haha

[edit] I can't even say s-w-a-n-k-y? **** you auto censor you ****ing ****y ****.

Edited by Koop
  • Like 1

Ooh I just clocked your s****y red handles, very nice. Not hanging about here are you haha

[edit] I can't even say s-w-a-n-k-y? **** you auto censor you ****ing ****y ****.

That's funny Koop! :-)

The handles were done before, as the colour matched the roof & wheels and there was a centre panel the same colour. I love the colour but I quite fancy a change, but that won't happen for a long while yet!

If you get rid of the red bits giz a shout they'd go nicely with my interior ;)

If you get rid of the red bits giz a shout they'd go nicely with my interior ;)

I'm not using the centre dash panel thats red but it was custom made for that new section. Ive got a few bits I'm going to put in classifieds including the carbon fibre binnacle. Just got to get my arse into gear & take photos and put up! ;-)

I'm gonna be watching the Classifieds with a hawk eye, I sent you a PM last night aswell for a bit of advice :wub:

Loving this build, I read it through last night again! wow

Glad you like! :-) Yes I picked up your pm this morning and will reply today.

Yes I can remember speaking to you at BVF @ Malvern.

This rebuild was never gonna happen, but having competed and seen the level of builds in Europe it's made me want to go on a 'bit' further! Isn't that always the case with projects?!