Windscreen Wipers

shona1985

Argh today my front wipers have stopped working. Thought it meant be with the 3 weeks of cold weather we have had but even after thawing out and the car heating up nothing is working. Ive had it since April and its been great till now, even in the snow and ice Ive been mightly impressed!!

Anyone had this problem before or could advise what it is?

If I have to take the car to the garage fair dos but be a bit of a hassle so any help much appreciated!

Thanks

Checked the bolts on the wipers? The cold could have loosend them off and the motor is just spinning the axels in the wiper blades

Longer shot that the fuse but it happened to me the other week

Motor could have died, or have a seised arm stopping the motor from actually moving the arms around

Hope this helps

Sam

Argh today my front wipers have stopped working. Thought it meant be with the 3 weeks of cold weather we have had but even after thawing out and the car heating up nothing is working. Ive had it since April and its been great till now, even in the snow and ice Ive been mightly impressed!!

If I have to take the car to the garage fair dos but be a bit of a hassle so any help much appreciated!

Thanks

Thanks

Hi Shona

Same thing happened to my wife`s just before Christmas.

I`ts a red 10 amp fuse.

I`m sure it blew due to the additional load of the motor trying to pump frozen screenwash fluid - so maybe after you change the fuse just use the wipers till it thaws - could be a while though!

I called VW about a dead front wiper motor on the Polo ('56 plate under warranty) this morning, wiper fuse not blown.

Common fault with newer VWs. Water tank freezes and your wipers stop working. Fuse could have blown, but not in all cases.

I was told I could drop it off if I wanted, but if the motor hadn't failed then I would be billed for the time that the tech. took to defrost my water bottle.

So defrost the waterbottle and then check both the washer fuse and the wiper fuse.

I also booked it in for a fast idle - randomly 1,200 - 1,500 rpm, which is a right bitch in this weather, so they did say they would defrost it on Tuesday if I hadn't fixed it by then.

Yes its happned to me last monday, the fuse had blowen, and why would you use you windscreen wipers when there froze?????? just scrape the ice off, all that does it stress the motor out and wear the blades out, and if the water tank frezzes your havent got enought screen wash in to stop that,

Sorry if it seems im haveing a go but im not honestly, more thought less hast

before a wise comment i was at work at 5am and the wipers worked fine came back home at 12 and then went out again the wipers didnt work.

So you don't wipe the road grime from your screen?

I know if the washers are frozen it makes a bit of a mess, but still better than seeing nought.

My washer fuse had gone. Swapped it for my rear screen wiper fuse, so I currently have front wipers, but no rear. Washer bottle still frozen.

Halfords have had no mini blade fuses for 3 weeks and whilst I can buy myself and my dog dinner in the BP/Shell/Esso garages, I cannot buy a fuse for my car.

So you don't wipe the road grime from your screen?

I know if the washers are frozen it makes a bit of a mess, but still better than seeing nought.

My washer fuse had gone. Swapped it for my rear screen wiper fuse, so I currently have front wipers, but no rear. Washer bottle still frozen.

Halfords have had no mini blade fuses for 3 weeks and whilst I can buy myself and my dog dinner in the BP/Shell/Esso garages, I cannot buy a fuse for my car.

Yeah i use ,wipers i just dont when i get in an there frost on the windscreen is what i meant, i see so many drivers with ice on the windscreen and the wipers going like made, sorry for any misunder standing

Yeah i use ,wipers i just dont when i get in an there frost on the windscreen is what i meant, i see so many drivers with ice on the windscreen and the wipers going like made, sorry for any misunder standing

Nae problem! Mine now fixed: All wipers are go!

• 5 months later...