Introduction

Atari Boy

Hi, my name is Jonny. I do not own a Lupo but we have just bought my daughter one (although I am seriously considering getting a GTi for myself now), she is over the moon with it.

It is 2001 1.0 E in blue (jazz blue I think), it has loads of history and is quite tidy.

Could I ask a few questions please (I have had bit of search but can’t find all the answers)?

1.The driver door lock was very stiff, I have used some WD40 which seems to have done the trick for the time being but are the locks a weak area?

2. I can’t seem to get the rear wash wipe to work, from what I can work out it is switched on from the end of the right had stalk, do the stalks break or where else should I look (fuses, relays etc).

3. Haynes doesn’t do a Lupo manual yet does anyone else?

4. Is there a full online OE parts catalogue available online, I have seen the one here but wondered if VW do one?

5. How often should the cam belt be done, it was last done at 72,000 miles, is there anything else I need to look out for maintenance wise?

Many thanks

Jonny

Hi and welcome to CL. Firstly: "I am seriously considering getting a GTi for myself" - Do it, do it do it! You won't be disappointed!

1. Does the car have central locking? if so the locks can become stiff with lack of use. That said I had a poverty spec '02 plate 1.0 Arosa with no central locking and the lock wasn't stiff at all. Silicon grease would be a good addition. Smother the key and slide it in to the lock and let the grease transfer.

3. No Haynes manual, but there alot of similarities with the MK4 (or MK5?) Polo so it may be worth buying one.

4. You can get the VW parts catalogue CD\DVD on eBay for a few pounds.

5. Cambelt was originally every 60,000 miles, but it was changed to 40,000 miles. Worth doing the tensioner and water pump whilst it's off.

Oh and did I say, get yourself a GTI they are fab fun!

Ray

Yes... Get a GTI.

1. The door lock does this on mums Golf(same lock).. I took the barrel out, quite easy to do, cleaned it and sprayed the back with WD40. If it is the lock mechanism itself, be careful, a few people have broken the drive peg off the back of the barrel due to it been stiff. If you take the barrel out, you can try the lock mechanism with a screwdriver... Now you are going to ask how to take the barrel out.

2. no idea.

3. As Silver said.. You could try a manual for a 2000-2002 Polo, give you a good idea of servicing etc.

4. As above.. Search for VW ETKA on ebay, or try the VagCat website.

5. As above

Sorry just reread 2.

2. Push button for wash, and wipe (not sure how many sweeps)

- Push stalk forward and click for intermittent wipe.

Could be a faulty switch or a failed motor.

Has someone removed the rear wiper (common mod on here) at sometime and not reconnected it properly?