A Guide To Wiring One Touch / Comfort Indicators

Tom_B

Heres a quick guide on how to wire up comfort indicators to a lupo.

This is a fairly straight foward task but can be a little bit fiddley but should only take an hour at the most.

List of parts / tools needed:

Comfort Indicator Kit Part No: 000 998 229

Wire crimps

Wire stripper / side cutters

Stereo Removal Tool

T20 trox bit / key

Start off by removing the negative terminal off the battery (best on the safe side) and then start to remove your stereo ect from the dash.

You Should be left with a large hole with a few wires poking out (as below)

iphone002.jpg

You Will see two screws, one on each side just inside. Remove these and then there is one last screw in the centre at the back. (Indicated by the red circles)

iphone002-1.jpg

Once these are removed then you can start to remove the centre dash section. It will be a little bit stiff but dont be scared to give it a bit of gental persuasion and it will eventually come away. Once it is free then youll notice that you cant totally move it out of the way because the harzard switch is still attached. This is easy to remove as there are two little metal tabs underneath which once pressed should release the harzard switch.

Now you are left with a nice open space and the harzard switch is easy to work with.

iphone006.jpg

The relay for the indicators is located in the hazard switch so this is what the new comfort indicator loom is supposed to be spliced into. Initially there isn't much wire to work with so your best off cutting some of the lovely sticky tape that vw put on the looms to give yourself a bit more wire to work with. (Shown Below)

iphone001.jpg

Now you can start to splice the new loom provided in the kit with the old loom.

The instructions for which wires go together are as follows:

Colours / terminal No's on new control relay > Colour on Lupo loom hazard unit terminal No's

Brown (31) > Brown (31)

Black/White (15) > Black/Grey (75a)

Green/White (49a) > Black/Yellow (49a)

Green (49R) > Black/Green

White (49L) > Black/White (L)

newloom.jpg

The way i sliced them was to cut one wire on the hazard loom at a time and then twist the one on the hazard switch side with the corresponding wire on the new loom. Then put one of the connectors supplied with the kit in the end and connect it back to the other piece of cut wire.

Then push the relay supplied in the new kit onto the connector on the new loom and all should be ready to test.

iphone010.jpg

Once you have finished doing that put the negative terminal back on the battery and place your keys in the ignition so you can test it works. If all is correct then you when you press the indicator stalk down (not fully engaged though) and let it return back up the indicator should flash 3 times. When it does try the other side to double check and if satisfied then find somewhere to put the new relay. I placed mine in a gap down the side of the heater on the drivers side (found it was a perfect fit) I also put some new black tape around the wiring to neaten it back up.

Now you can start to re-assemble your dash and your be happy in the knowledge that you've got one touch / comfort indicators on your lupo.

Happy working and any quiries then just pm me!

Tom

PS I will get some new better photos on the weekend

Very good.

When I did it, didn't remove the dash section, managed to pull down the center brace so the switch would pass down the back of it. Makes it very difficult though, but removing it wasn't an option for me and all my junk.

.... and that lovely fury sticky tape is avaliable from VW as a part, if your as sad as me. :lol:

Cheers :)

I just used some of the black plast costed tape you can get from maplins. less messy than the origial and it come apart again without too much dificulty. But it i £7 a roll lol.

Did think it would be more difficult for you with all your extra wires etc

As above please. Could be useful for me as my boss didn't go on straight, so quarter turn right and the indicator goes off, and a 3/4 turn left and it finally turns off.

what in the name of the lord is a comfort indicator? i have no idea but it sound cool!!!

Means if you tap your indicator stalk, it flashed three times instead of once, without the need for putting the indicators on fully. Useful for changing lanes on motorways and dual carriageways, etc.

Means if you tap your indicator stalk, it flashed three times instead of once, without the need for putting the indicators on fully. Useful for changing lanes on motorways and dual carriageways, etc.

Name no doubt has something to do with lazy Americans... or a crazy translation.