How old were you

Naif

get a sport first. i had a sport then moved to a gti. both great cars but two totally different beasts. stepping up a notch it made me appreciate how much more refined the gti is. still madly in love with my gti but will always have fond memories of sheila my sport.

very well put, if i was you id get a sport, my insurance on my sport is around £500 im 23, not worth the extra cost for a GTi IMO - the car price its self for a good one is quite high for the extra you get, petrol, insurance, general extra running costs etc.... but its your cash if you can wait do it.... as hunid said its a much more refined car especially a 6 speed

Edited by macaloon

got mine at 18. biggest mistake i made was being insured in my mums name for the first year on my corsa and not getting ncb. insured a gti with mods for 1600

now 20 and paid 1k but ive got 6 points 25k a year and alot of mods declared

I was 18 but left it about 2months till i was 19 to get insured.

I would not recomend it, yeh it was cool drivin round in a Gti at such a young age, but the fact it was costin me £275 a month for the car another £200 for the insurance per month, and then at least £150 a month of petrol. Was stupid looking back at it.

I've always refused to pay over £1k to insure any car so stuck with 1.2 Clios until I was 21 and then bought a Clio 172.

Not a GTI but was my first quick car. :)

couldnt agree more mate! really dont see the point in spending over £1k.

i pay around £750 fully comp on my own insurance policy at 20 years old

soon as I can get insured on a mk5gti or r32 for under a K then im having one.

• Like 1

I had my 1.0e when i was 17 and that was £1298.10 fully comp on my own and i really wanted a GTi and i had worked enough to be able to afford one after a year of driving and just as i was about to buy one i bought a 1.4 16v Colour concept 6n2 Polo just because i basically swapped my Lupo for it and the appeal of getting another 2 years (touch wood) NCB (3 in total) would be better for me and a GTi will have to wait for a while, the Polo is plenty quick enough for me now and gives me something to work towards in the future. Th Polo costs me £823.00 fully comp on my own with 1 year NCB.

Sorry to go on a bit!!!

Cheers, James.

I'm 18, Only got a 1.0L, and still pay £1,110 !! works out around £100 a month !! Cant imagine trying to insure a GTI !! (As much as i'd loved to, Think ill be sticking with the 1.0L for now) and would recommend that you stick with your corsa or get a smaller Lupo

Mines 850 fully comp, im 20 years old.

Renewal is in feb, i will be 21 by then and have 3 years NCB.

Cafcross, with regards to your accident, which wasnt your fault. You will get charged more, its a joke. A lady crashed in to me when i was 17, took full resposibility and car got written off... when I came to get my new car, my insurance went up by about 150 quid due to putting I had an accident which wasnt my fault.

Stupid!

Great....! Well I'll see what happens because obviously it'll go down due to another years no claims and the fact I'm a year older, but then if it then goes up a little bit because of the accident hopefully it'll even itself out and I'll be paying the same as this year.

I'm 19 payed 6.300 for the car, pay 2800 for fully comp insurence, but i do have a 3 grand claim from when an idiot rolled back in to me at a round about in my old car and a job that likes to pay stupid money to me for doing bugger all really.