How old were you

Naif

When you got your GTi?

I've just turned 18, and know I won't be able to afford insurance for a while yet, but have the major itch to buy one.

TPFT quotes are coming out at nearly £2k in most places :blink:

Just looking for a general consensus here... Probably be able to afford some time next summer if everything goes as planned!

2k insurance on a 4-5k car is stupid money, id hold out or just get something that is far more reasonable for insurance prices.

Personally, i wouldnt buy one so young. Stick with something low to insure for a couple of years, get a sport and save some cash up until the insurance comes down. It would make me sick paying that so insure a car.

I was 20. Was paying £850 fully comp on my Clio 1.2 with wheels, induction kit and springs delcared with my mum as a named driver, and had to pay an extra £200 for the rest of the year (4 and half months) for my GTI with coilovers declared. Now at 21 I'm paying £750 fully comp with the coilovers and wheels declared and my mum as a named driver. Got my renewal coming up at the end of January, but had an accident back in April but wasn't my fault, so hopefully it won't affect me.

I only started driving when i was 21 after i finished uni. Owned a lupo sport for two years and then got my gti this year. Im 24 with 2 years no claims and im payin about 800 due to monthly installments by myself fully comp. Should come down in april as ill be 25 with 3 years no claims touch wood.

I was 20 when I got mine, 3 years no claims, sound weird but I passed about a month after turning 17, fluked the test I reckon ... lol was paying £900

I suggest getting at least 2 years no claims (of your own, not mummies or daddies) before insuring a GTi.

I've got a major itch for one too but in the same position as you being only 18 :(. Gonna stick with the 1.0 for another 2 or 3 years and look around more then :)

There's no way I'm shelling out that much for one yet...

I've thought about getting a sport, but then going from Lupo to Lupo doesn't really appeal to me.

ATM, I'm considering sticking with this until May-ish ans still spending around £1.5k on insurance (as long as nothing unexpected happens) or being sensible and waiting for another year or so when, based on recent quotes, it'll be around a grand.

Still, looking through the Member's Cars section makes me want to cry!

When you got your GTi?

I've just turned 18, and know I won't be able to afford insurance for a while yet, but have the major itch to buy one.

TPFT quotes are coming out at nearly £2k in most places :blink:

Just looking for a general consensus here... Probably be able to afford some time next summer if everything goes as planned!

Third party insurance is a waste of money imo. Only a bit cheaper than fully comp, yet if you crash there is a massive difference. Id rather have the peace of mind.

Insurance has gone up allot recently I am pleased to be over 21, though I am still paying £1400 a year. Good luck with the save shades.gif

im 18, i pay about £400 a year, i am insured on a fleet insurance through my dads comapny so can drive 8 different cars/vans includeing 2.0civic tpye R, ask the rents to look into fleet insurance alot cheeper and can drive the rents car too :)

Type-R's are over-rated tbh.

• Like 1

I'm 26, had my license 2 years, got 1 years no claims and insure my 1.4s for £206 fully comp with husband as named driver, dont need a GTI, use his Audi when i want to drive something decent!.........until i scuff the wheel, then i'm stuffed!!

get a sport first. i had a sport then moved to a gti. both great cars but two totally different beasts. stepping up a notch it made me appreciate how much more refined the gti is. still madly in love with my gti but will always have fond memories of sheila my sport.

• Like 1