Getting too old for coilovers

Have been running FK coilovers for the last couple of years, although with my 39th Birthday coming up on New Years Day, I need some comfort back.

The car is set as low as it can on the rear and the minimum I can lower it on the front, while being able to turn the wheels on full lock.

Looking at the rear springs and being seperate to the shocks. What would happen if I swapped the coilover spring for the factory springs ??

Would increasing the ride height on the coilovers make much difference (Subject to getting the dirt off the thread lol)to the ride quality.

I love stance although can no longer cope with the ride quality.

Whimp! I'm 48 in a couple of weeks and running KW V1s. Admittedly not right down, but they are down and on 195/45 tyres.

Bluloops son came part of the way to Leeds with me and said they were more comfy than Colin's HR Cup (Confirm anyone?) set up and Linz's too; who I think is running FKs.

Whimp! I'm 48 in a couple of weeks and running KW V1s. Admittedly not right down, but they are down and on 195/45 tyres.

Bluloops son came part of the way to Leeds with me and said they were more comfy than Colin's HR Cup (Confirm anyone?) set up and Linz's too; who I think is running FKs.

LMAO @ Whimp

Its not just that. I car share with 3 other people and commute 27 miles each way once a week. I'd say 5 miles of that is bumpy roads, which is embarrassing watching both the girls being thrown around in the rear lol.

Normally once a month I get the 'Have you ever sat in the back of the car while in motion' lol

Just looking for a quick fix really

LMAO @ Whimp

Its not just that. I car share with 3 other people and commute 27 miles each way once a week. I'd say 5 miles of that is bumpy roads, which is embarrassing watching both the girls being thrown around in the rear lol.

Normally once a month I get the 'Have you ever sat in the back of the car while in motion' lol

Just looking for a quick fix really

i say keep em... if the other people hated it so much im sure theyd try getting another means of transport... imo i think you should just sit back and watch the jiggle ;) if you catch my drift haha...

Edited by BaileyVW

KW V2 are damper adjustable, but you would need to be careful as low ride height with soft damper setting would be a sure fire way to make things "knock, rub and bang" and the only place you want those in union is the bedroom!

:)

i say keep em... if the other people hated it so much im sure theyd try getting another means of transport... imo i think you should just sit back and watch the jiggle ;) if you catch my drift haha...

LMAO @ jiggle.

We all take it in turns. My mate has a Alfa 147 and the girls have a Basic 04 Clio and the one that moans has just bought a 02 Mk4 Golf 150bhp GTi, which funnily enough has some serious rear shock banging issues going over bumps.

I tried to get the misses to buy a Dune although I was shocked at the performance of a 04 1.4 Petrol version. Just seemed gutless. Still would love a 1.4 Diesel Dune to see how much I can tune the lump.

Can you get coilovers for a Dune ?? as sure I saw a picture of a slammed Dune in one of the VW mags reporting a show.

Edited by RallyeBaz

I tried to get the misses to buy a Dune although I was shocked at the performance of a 04 1.4 Petrol version. Just seemed gutless. Still would love a 1.4 Diesel Dune to see how much I can tune the lump.

Can you get coilovers for a Dune ?? as sure I saw a picture of a slammed Dune in one of the VW mags reporting a show.

I'm sure you can as it's just a Polo with a dress on. There are a couple of nice ones with air out there, but I think you are missing the point.

I have my GTI on coilovers for fun and the Dune 1.4TDi for, well, for being sensible.

I find the diesel quite sensible to drive. Doesn't set me alight though. Shame they never made it in t 1.9TDI 100/130ps.

Bring on the V6 4Motion transplant.

It's bumpy because the suspension has so little travel! Winding them up a little bit should help, but if its still not soft enough then you should be looking at a set of KW V1's, or even some eibach 30mm springs which ride practically as well as standard - Matt A's GTI had them on and that was very refined :).

havent you got the option to soften the ride?

Mine are just the FK Highsports (Can only adjust the platform height)from Venom.

I will have a go of raising the rear a bit to see if that makes much difference.

If not then back to the 30mm springs set-up sounds a good compromise

a quick question for silver, how much did you lower your gti on the KW V1`s? im getting some soon with top mounts does yours have these? basically im looking to find out how low on the front and back i can go without any knocking or scraping. please help thanks

I can confirm, number one son did say that the ride in Rays is much better than ours, its the only mod I am planning this year, once I get Christmas past, a shiny new set of KW's.

And I am older than you Baz, albielt much younger than Ray :lol:

a quick question for silver, how much did you lower your gti on the KW V1`s? im getting some soon with top mounts does yours have these? basically im looking to find out how low on the front and back i can go without any knocking or scraping. please help thanks

You can't tell how much it's lowered until you get it off the jack and go for a drive, so knowing a measurement won't help. Just set it to whatever you think, halfway or so and adjust it from there. It only takes a minute to adjust, especially with brand new KW's.

Ray doesn't have the aftermarket topmounts. I don't know anyone who does on here.

Yes, just the standard top mounts. I think it's down about 60mm and on 195/45 tyres and spaced 20mm per side on the rear.

I do get some rubbing on the rears when either pushing it on backl rads or with more than 2 up in normal road conditions. The driveshafts foul when hoofing it around the Lakes/North Yorkshire and Scottish A roads...

4050523899_5282950bef_o.jpg

4050523567_5ff79dd8fd_o.jpg

...which can be more like a B road.

This is your problem.

You're not even giving the dampers a chance to damp.

How heavy are your wheels?

Surely the dampers are designed to run between the platform ranges ??

Currently running Lenso BSX alloys with Toyo T1 195 45 15 tyres

Surely the dampers are designed to run between the platform ranges ??

Currently running Lenso BSX alloys with Toyo T1 195 45 15 tyres

Well thats what you would think, but no there not really. Once you wind them right down the dampers cant possibly do there job properly because you have already compressed them so they have no travel left.

If you simply wind your coilovers up to a sensible height you will solve all your problems.

The only modification I done to the suspension of my Lupo Sport was to fit KYB gas shocks on the front. After that the boat feeling disappeared and it handled like a dream with the right set of tyres.

If I had had the money back then I would have put KYB shocks on the rear and lowered the car 30-40mm.

KYB shocks aren't hard, they are firm and the end result is a comfortable car to drive with all the handling of a supermini. KYB do different variants of their shocks, go for the slightly better ones if you can.

Great shocks, never had anything like them.

Well thats what you would think, but no there not really. Once you wind them right down the dampers cant possibly do there job properly because you have already compressed them so they have no travel left.

If you simply wind your coilovers up to a sensible height you will solve all your problems.

Thanks for the advice

Looking forward to getting under the car next week, with the forthcoming cold snap on its way lol