Anyone got the "itch" to sell?

sam bignell

I really don't want to sell my lupo mainly because I known I'll regret it after reading so many stories where people either miss or purchase another lupo afterwards.

BUT . . . .

I have the "itch" for a Lotus Elise. paperbag.gif

Has anyone owned the new version S2? I have a few questions:

• How do they drive?
  • Whats the running costs like?
  • What are they like on the motorway?
  • Are they reliable?
  • Any particular models to avoid or does anyone know whats the difference between all the model ranges . . . . seems to be many which all look the same confused.gif

Will the elise fill the lupo sized hole as well in my heart laugh.gif

Edited by sam bignell

I went on to the VX220.

I'm guessing you haven't driven an Elise then? You have to bear in mind how basic they are, and that's it's going to be difficult to live with through the winter. Plenty have people have done it, and drive them every day, and I thought I was hardcore enough to cope, but it was a lot harder than I thought. I only drove mine in the spring, and that was still a bit much on a cold rainy night, with a non-existant heater and a leaking roof. Which is why I stuck with the Lupo, I don't want a second car, fair weather car, I wanted one that was always enjoyable to drive, no matter what the weather.

Try and test drive one on a miserable day (shouldn't be too hard at this time of year!) to see what you think.

• Like 1

I went on to the VX220.

They're very similiar cars and a good comparison.

What caught me eye was a grey elise with a red hood and red leather interior that my cousin had taken in part exchange. I buy all my cars from him because hes a private car trader so family discount is very handy! Your assumptions was right, i've never drove one although I have sat in a few.

The keep fit windows, no heater and bare essentials aren't a problem to be honest as I have access to other cars if the weather isn't great. I am however a little concerned as I do a fair few miles which the elise would be subjected to despite having another car.

My main worry is that I sell the Lupo and want it back after a month sad.gif I'd want my lupo back rather than buying another as well . . . if only I could win the lottery and keep every car

Edited by sam bignell

MattyB went from Lupo to Elise. :)

I've thought about it a few times - even put my lupo up for sale a couple of times but then the thought of someone else driving my lupo makes me so sad that I change my mind. Had my lupo 6 years in January...

The other thing that stops me selling up is that I can't find anything I want enough to warrant selling my lupo for. Well, nothing that costs less than £25,000 anyways... :lol:

There not the easiest things to get in and out of and I'm a short arse.

I really like the idea of a Caterham, but they're even worse to get in and out of and when I test drove one a couple of weeks back the drive position felt restrictive

I'll be looking to test drive an Elise, just finding a dealer with a time slot that suits me smile.gif

Second what Kam said. I struggled getting in and out of my mates VX220, I'm a lanky 6ft 3" though.

Pretty looking cars but they do nowt for me. The VX220 T's and the Exiges are rapid mind! laugh.gif

I'm only 6ft so it's not to much of an issue for me.

I'm after something still economical for occasion trips to uni, but fast for the weekends, future classic or generally something a little bit special/ rare. If money was no issue in regards to insurance I'd purchase a Z3M Coupe

islands62steelgraymz3jan2009.jpg

Basically I'm after a car which I've dreamed of owning when I was little. I bought the Lupo last year as I saw one in VW at the age of 11 when my mum bought her golf and instantly i wanted one. The only other car which caught my attention in my younger years was the only time i've seen a Z3M coupe at a bus stop

Owning a car which you've admired since childhood is probably the best, regardless of the car. I suppose for the older generation such cars maybe Countach etc

I love those M Coupes. Brilliant looking car, and a lot more usable every day compared to an Elise.

I found insurance pricey, around 1800 at 21 with an SP30, full NCB, in a low crime area. That, and the fact I would like a house before I'm 30, put me off getting the loan to get one.

have you tried insurance on the z3m? im 21 and its what im saving for now! tried the insurance and was pleasantly surprised! under £1500!

surprise.gif I'm going to look at some quotes now. I automatically assumed they were to expensive, the older version is group 20 and the 2001 onwards model is group 19. Surely it can't be!

I'm shortly 20 in the coming months and a pay increase has got me thinking about something with a bit more poke.

The Z3M coupe has lovely hips. Also I really don't like the convertible, the hood seems to be designed as a after thought by a 10 year old.

I often think about what car would replace the Lupo to be honest as much as I do love the Lupo.

I'm feeling inclined towards the RenaultSport Twingo 133 as it just seems to have that similar feel to the Lupo. Tiny, nippy and great handling. Also I can insure one for £250 which is the same as my Lupo.

Having said that for the price you pay for a new RS Twingo I could get a nice Clio 197 Cup or even consider an R26 Megane! lol

not being funny but some people go on about their lupo gti's like they are the best thing since sliced bread.

yeah they are a cool car, but they aren't fast and they handle averagely even on coilovers.

i'll never understand how people can keep their cars for years and years and years unless it really is something very special.

there are so many different cars out there. so what if you buy a car and get bored or it, just sell it and get a different one.

anyone who sticks with the same car for years really is just missing out on the fun of owning a broad range of cars.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

not being funny but some people go on about their lupo gti's like they are the best thing since sliced bread.

yeah they are a cool car, but they aren't fast and they handle averagely even on coilovers.

i'll never understand how people can keep their cars for years and years and years unless it really is something very special.

there are so many different cars out there. so what if you buy a car and get bored or it, just sell it and get a different one.

anyone who sticks with the same car for years really is just missing out on the fun of owning a broad range of cars.

I agree, I just couldn't get in and out the same car day after day for years and years. I owned my Lupo for just over a year and that was far too much. I'm 5"7 and I felt cramped in it, it was slow, and didn't really do anything THAT well. Just a nice wee different car from the norm I guess. Onwards and upwards, sell it and move on I say.

Edit: I'm not saying I don't like Lupos, I think they're pretty cool wee cars and I wanted one for years, much better than a Corsa, Clio etc, but I think there are also so many better cars out there that I'd rather own.

Lauryn

Edited by Lauryn

I'm looking at getting an S1 Elise in a couple of years :)

I've never driven or sat in one and it'll be nothing like anything I've ever driven before so I can't wait for that first drive!

I think I can live with the hardcore-ness of them. My old car was rock solid over bumps and gave me horrific back-ache on long drives and I didn't mind one bit because it was so worth when I got to a proper B road!

The only sticking point is that I'm now quite fond of the Lupo and with the Awesome arb the handling is infinitely better so I'd love to know what it was like with uprated springs/dampers and tyres. It could be an absolute rocket if I invested money in it instead of saving for the Elise.

I think it's got to be the Elise though :)

The Lupo will be staying in the family so maybe I could buy it back one day :bleh:

New shape Audi TT is still on my books... but the Arosa will do for now biggrin.gif

Thats a good call for a lass, new TT still hasn't lost the male hairdresser look to be honest

http://www.autotrade...e%2F3&logcode=p

Little promotion i guess tongue.gif, but my cousin has two TT's for sale. I've driven the black TT back to the lock up and its a very smooth nice drive.

A little predictable and unexcitable i'd say though as a downside

Edited by sam bignell

i currently have the "itch" but theres nothing i want strongly enough to sell up. I keep looking at Clio Sport 182's and EP3 type-r's and think that they are class cars, but it feels like im just getting it because i want something faster not because i want the perticular car.... Grrrrr

i really wanted a golf mk5 gti but there crazy money for the car you get....

I still enjoy the Lupo but it may be time for me to move on to something new soon

Edited by macaloon