DIY headliner retrim

marcusgrant

So I fancy retriming my headliner in some black faux suede. Just wondering if anyone on here has retrimed their headliner, or any other interior bit and how successful they were? How tricky it was? Any tips? What glue you used?

Basically as Terry Tibs would say, "talk to me"...about it :P

cheers

• Like 1

dude it is a piece of piss this is how i did my mk3 gti AshdownForest12.jpg

best glue to use is this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2-TRIMFIX-SPRAY-GLUE-contact-adhesive-carpet-motorhome_W0QQitemZ170337090149QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Crafts_Cardmaking_Scrapbooking_Glue_Tape_EH?hash=item27a8e1ba65

if u need any advice jus drop me a email fella have done a few of these and few of my mates too

• Like 1

That material is well cool... where you get stuff like that from!? I went in my local fabric wearhouse t'other day and nothing like that in there.

Cheers for the link bud, think I'm going to go with this spray glue from a company called AS essentials, the spray on glue has a 80 degree heat resistance :)

get some decent spray an adhesive, if u buy the cheap £1 a tin crap it wont stick and will end up sagging,

alot of small time trimmers use this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/3M-CRAFTMOUNT-PERMANENT-ADHESIVE-SPRAY-400ML_W0QQitemZ140296278499QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Crafts_Cardmaking_Scrapbooking_Glue_Tape_EH?hash=item20aa4f51e3

they guy who is teaching me uses an industrial one in a spray gun but i dunno what it is lol

what do you do to change the headliner?

do you have to take it all down and then redo it or just stick the new material on top?

if take it off how do you get it down is it just rivets like the rest of the plastics??

thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I have retrimmed several headlinings over the past few years.

Be careful when selecting a glue, cheaper glue only works well within certain temperatures, when the temperature rises the glue softens and the weight of the material will start to sag, meaning your hard work will be spoiled. it might take 6 months or a year but I am sure it will happen.

I personally reccomend a glue from frosts, its about £10 a tin but believe me it works, I have never had any issues what so ever, I did one for somebody about 4 years ago now and it is still exactly as it was.

I will try to find the link for the glue and post it here, this glue is used in our workshops for door card repairs etc and the automotive manufactures reccomend it.

Avoid using cheap contact adhesives and spray glues etc you will regret it over time I promise.

I have retrimmed several headlinings over the past few years.

Be careful when selecting a glue, cheaper glue only works well within certain temperatures, when the temperature rises the glue softens and the weight of the material will start to sag, meaning your hard work will be spoiled. it might take 6 months or a year but I am sure it will happen.

I personally reccomend a glue from frosts, its about £10 a tin but believe me it works, I have never had any issues what so ever, I did one for somebody about 4 years ago now and it is still exactly as it was.

I will try to find the link for the glue and post it here, this glue is used in our workshops for door card repairs etc and the automotive manufactures reccomend it.

Avoid using cheap contact adhesives and spray glues etc you will regret it over time I promise.

That would be a great help if you could post the link up :)

I intend to get on with this in the new year.

That be good mark. is it spray glue or does it come in a tin? I've found a spray that was recommended on another forum.. it has a 80'c rating so in theory should be good.

Not sure weather it would be better to use stuff out of a tin though?.. although that using tin stuff and pasting it on will be abit tricky for an amature like me!