Lupo won't start :'(

Hey guys

This is the first major problem i've had with the lupo in 2 years of owning it, just hoping its nothing too serious or expensive :(

I drove it at about 7 this morning 15 minutes away to my friends house where I park when I get the bus to go to college, everything was as normal.

I got to it at 6pm this evening and it wouldn't start. Radio, lights all worked fine but it just wouldn't fire up. After loads of revving and waiting it fired up. Dad and I tried turning it off to see if it would start on the button but it didn't and had to do the same process again. I then drove it home and nothing is different at all. Drives just the same as it always does, was fine at junctions and showed no signs of wanting to cut out. Once I got home I turned it off, tried to turn it on again and it still won't start straight away.

This has NEVER happened. It's always started first time every time

Can't help thinking it's the almost overnight change in temperature thats triggered something as it was the first time i've had to de-ice in a long time today. But I know it could just be coninsidence.

Any help would be great :(

Thanks x

Edited by Amber

Thats most strange and has me scratching my head. The thing that popped into my head straight away was the immobiliser kicking in.

I have a couple of questions that could help point us in the right direction,

Do you have an aftermarket immobiliser or the factory standard unit?

When you tried starting it did it start a little then stop after a second or three of running?

• Like 1

Thats most strange and has me scratching my head. The thing that popped into my head straight away was the immobiliser kicking in.

I have a couple of questions that could help point us in the right direction,

Do you have an aftermarket immobiliser or the factory standard unit?

When you tried starting it did it start a little then stop after a second or three of running?

Hey thanks for the reply.

The immobiliser is the factory standard unit and no it didn't run at all, not even for a couple of seconds, it just doesn't fire up. Totally out of the blue as well as I've had no problems starting it at all recently, even though it's gotten colder :(

thanks again.

Edited by Amber

When was it last serviced, as in spark plugs and the fuel filter changed?

I could point to problems if the thing didnt run normally once started but the fact it runs is throwing me a little as the parts that could cause the starting issue would also cause running issues.

I know this sounds silly but give it a try, go and disconnect the positive lead and leave it for 5 minutes. Reconnect and see if it starts. Remember to keep a window fully open if you have central locking!

• Like 1

We've just had another look and Dad thinks its the ignition switch which has caused the immobiliser to kick in. Every now and again the ignition switch does go stiff, almost like my steering wheel is locked even though it isn't. I haven't noticed it lately but we've just tried to start the car again and the battery, oil, airbag lights etc - all that usually come on as soon as I turn the ignition on are really delayed. Is this possible?

Now thats what I needed, you will have to take the plastic cover off from around the steering column but first try the messy method.

Get some WD40 or similiar (Light Oil) and using the straw that comes with the can, squirt a little into the key hole. Once in insert the key and turn the ignition on and off a few times. This will not only lubricate the internals but also acts as a mild abrasive and helps to clean the contacts in there.

Now if that doesnt work then take off the plastic column surrounds and look at the back of the ignition barrel, there you will find a few large wires and connectors. Make sure they are firmly attached and connected.

If they are then come back and we can try a few other things!

Where abouts in Bucks are you based, PM that if you dont want it public.

Edited by 1 Litre Screamer
  • Like 1

Now thats what I needed, you will have to take the plastic cover off from around the steering column but first try the messy method.

Get some WD40 or similiar (Light Oil) and using the straw that comes with the can, squirt a little into the key hole. Once in insert the key and turn the ignition on and off a few times. This will not only lubricate the internals but also acts as a mild abrasive and helps to clean the contacts in there.

Now if that doesnt work then take off the plastic column surrounds and look at the back of the ignition barrel, there you will find a few large wires and connectors. Make sure they are firmly attached and connected.

If they are then come back and we can try a few other things!

Where abouts in Bucks are you based, PM that if you dont want it public.

Thanks again for such a quick reply! We tried the 'messy method' but have had no success. It's at the point now where we're turning the ignition on but having to wiggle the key about to get any of the lights on, and they can be turned off just by wiggling the key, not even turning it as you usually would need to. It's pouring with rain at the moment so Dad's not up for stripping it to check the wires yet but says he will tomorrow. We're in a small village called Westcott, about 10 minutes from Aylesbury

Thanks for your help!

Its sounding like your in need of a new ignition barrel to be honest but its cheaper to check the wires first. I dont blame your dad for not wanting to be out there, its so cold.

I'm going to be in MK on Saturday christmas shopping so I could come and have a look and connect VAGCOM to see if anything else has popped up if you still have issues by then, the GTi could do with a run out!

• Like 1

Its sounding like your in need of a new ignition barrel to be honest but its cheaper to check the wires first. I dont blame your dad for not wanting to be out there, its so cold.

I'm going to be in MK on Saturday christmas shopping so I could come and have a look and connect VAGCOM to see if anything else has popped up if you still have issues by then, the GTi could do with a run out!

Yeah that's what Dad has said :( thinking it's going to be a VW job if checking the wires brings no joy so I'm bracing my pockets for a few hundred. I'm at work on Saturday unfortunatly and Dad's colleague is coming around with VAG com tomorrow hopefully but thank you so much for the offer. Gutted because I'd of loved to have seen the GTi. They're welcome on our driveway anytime! haha.

Thanks again for being a massive help. Once dad has fiddled with the wires and had a look i'll let you know.

Typical about saturday! I'm sure the GTi will grace the driveway some other time, if my gf lets it out of her sight!

I dont think they will be silly priced as the switch is clipped in from the bottom of the key/lock mech, I'll have a look on my other computer tomorrow and get you the part numbers.

Edited to add, did you and your dad come to an MK meet at Xscape a while back, like a year or two?!

Typical about saturday! I'm sure the GTi will grace the driveway some other time, if my gf lets it out of her sight!

I dont think they will be silly priced as the switch is clipped in from the bottom of the key/lock mech, I'll have a look on my other computer tomorrow and get you the part numbers.

Edited to add, did you and your dad come to an MK meet at Xscape a while back, like a year or two?!

I don't blame her! If you could get the part numbers it'd be a huge help, thank you so much!

I've heard about the meets at Xscape but never been to one. The lupo was standard until march of this year so I didn't go to many and I've never been to one with Dad so I don't think it could've been. I sometimes attend the MK meets at Fox Milne on the last sunday of each month but other than that I wait for the show season to come around :)

Quick update-

We called VW this morning and they've confirmed that the barrell probably needs replacing and they keep the parts in stock because it's such a common problem. We're gonna check the wires but if there's no joy it'll be going to a garage on friday morning if we can get it started. If not it'll be recovered and hopefully it'll all be back to normal but just with 2 keys. Thanks SO much for all your help 1LS, really appreciated! Have fun Christmas shopping :D

Quick update-

We called VW this morning and they've confirmed that the barrell probably needs replacing and they keep the parts in stock because it's such a common problem. We're gonna check the wires but if there's no joy it'll be going to a garage on friday morning if we can get it started. If not it'll be recovered and hopefully it'll all be back to normal but just with 2 keys. Thanks SO much for all your help 1LS, really appreciated! Have fun Christmas shopping :D

Shouldn't need another lock/key, unless the Lupo is different to other cars, it will just be part of the barrel thats changed.

Shouldn't need another lock/key, unless the Lupo is different to other cars, it will just be part of the barrel thats changed.

Didn't need one anyway. My dad's mate changed the ignition switch today and it's all back to normal now :)