Power a car amp from the mains

marcusgrant

Basically I've got an amp lying about and some 6x9's (brap) I thought that as they are lying around i may aswell put them to some use and have my ipod hooked up the them in the garage.

Basically, whats the easiest way to power the amp from the mains? Also, what will i do about earthing it?

Cheers :)

Edited by marcusgrant

just get a AC-DC converter, power supply. The amp will run off 12v dc. You will need a power supply with a High current rating or you could wire a large capacitor in like you would in the car. If your only running 6x9's you wont really need the capacitor, just a high current rated power supply.

Tom

something like this will do although that american mains lead wont do you much good...Just need to get hold of the same type mains lead and plug it in to the power supply. You will also need to cut the connector off the end that is permanently attached to the power supply and wire it up to the amplifier making sure you have +v to the positive terminal and the -v to the negative terminal. If you wire these the wrong way round it could damage the amps internals. Its pretty easy to get it right though by looking at the back of the power supply where all the writing is. It tells you whether the center of the small connector is positive or negative.

Have a look at this anyway and any questions let me know.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Power-Adapter-12-Volt-5-Amp-12V-5A-Supply-LCD-Adaptor_W0QQitemZ260504191164QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Computing_LaptopAccess_RL?hash=item3ca74280bc

Tom

• Like 1

Cheers for that tom :)

Thinking about it I'm sure there will be an old battery lying about in the garage and definitely got a charger so will probably use that.

What will I got about earthing it.. just hammer is earthing cable to the wall :confused: gahhh I feel like a right idiot asking all these questions.

Cool Cool give the battery charger with battery a shot, might work quite well. Just watch out for it draining quickly when off charge and your amp power is up.

Depends on where you have it but you dont Stictly need to earth it although its good practice incase something does go wrong. just stick the earth cable in to the top pin in a wall socket, make sure you put it in the top hole. best way to do this would be wire it up to a plug, wiring the earth cable on to the top pin on the plug and just plug it in to the wall and you have your earth connection.

Tom

• Like 1