Left Foot Braking

foxy

I wouldnt recomend it under any curcumstances judging by how weak the driveshafts seem to be (well the joints on the diff anyway). it seems obvious to me that the function has been built in to prevent shearing driveshaft bolts!!!

I wouldnt recomend it under any curcumstances judging by how weak the driveshafts seem to be (well the joints on the diff anyway). it seems obvious to me that the function has been built in to prevent shearing driveshaft bolts!!!

Its there to stop dual input, ie brake and throttle. Left foot braking will put no extra load on the bolts than if you were goin up a slight hill or had a couple of mates in the car. All I will add is that if people dont know exactly how to left foot brake then dont even attempt it as the left leg isnt trained to be gentle.

I really don't see how left foot braking is any advantage when driving fast on normal roads. I don't know how to do it properly and don't want to attempt it because it can be dangerous without plenty of space to play about.

I remember watching a Forumla One race sometime last year and there was mention of which foot should be used for braking.

Some F1 drivers use their right foot for both. E.g. Jenson Button, this is why they say he's smooth on the throttle and smooth on the brakes. Other F1 drivers use their left foot for braking.

The results were of particular interest because the digital screens showed that the drivers who used their left foot to brake and their right to accelerate often ended up overheating their brakes quicker because they had the tendancy to brake and accelerate partially at the same time.

So the answer to this question is entirely dependant on the type of car you are racing. F1 drivers can do it if they want to because their clutch is on the steering wheel.

If anything on a car with a clutch pedal you should be using your right foot to accelerate and brake "heel and toe" style. Take a look on YouTube at the Japanese drivers who race in the Honda Integra Type R's. It's quite effective but as I say...it doesn't suit all Sports. For road use just your right foot is sufficient to apply the throttle and brakes independantly rather than heel and toe.

Edited by Niche

Just a quick note for all those who have mentioned 'Heel & Toe' Its a different technique to be used at different times to left foot braking, also left foot braking is used to achieve different things weather driving FWD or RWD or a turbo'd car.

So dont confuse the 2 as being the same, cause there not.

also what makes you think i only drive the car on the road, and practicing driving techniques in any situation is good practice for track days.

Edited by foxy

If any of you saw my feet on the pedals you would be blown away by how fast and how many inputs each foot does, some at the same time as this balances or even unsettles the car, all dependant on what i need it to do.

I use this for both road and track (as mentioned above) and having total control of any car at all times is a nice thing to have. Again all i say is if you havent done it before then dont go trying it, you WILL have a shunt.

Edited by 1 Litre Screamer

also what makes you think i only drive the car on the road, and practicing driving techniques in any situation is good practice for track days.

hardly good practice and i wouldn't recommend it as "1 Litre Screamer" pointed it out if you haven't done it before.

practising driving techniques in any situation isn't something you should be suggesting to do on a forum regardless as to whether if it is good or not. Public roads are not test tracks.

None the less that didn't stop me from trying it whilst doing 60mph down my private road. I think I almost went through the windscreen.

Edited by Niche

hardly good practice and i wouldn't recommend it as "1 Litre Screamer" pointed it out if you haven't done it before.

practising driving techniques in any situation isn't something you should be suggesting to do on a forum regardless as to whether if it is good or not. Public roads are not test tracks.

None the less that didn't stop me from trying it whilst doing 60mph down my private road. I think I almost went through the windscreen.

You dont know, You dont understand, so dont comment.

I had a query and i got my answer from someone who knows what there talking about, so i have nothing more to add.

Edited by Nicki
Toned down

I only pointed out that it's not safe to practice racing techniques on public roads which we pay to drive on and in my case pay to park on. I haven't insulted anyone but if other people want to take something to heart for no reason I can think of then please do lock this thread.

Thanks.

I only pointed out that it's not safe to practice racing techniques on public roads which we pay to drive on and in my case pay to park on. I haven't insulted anyone but if other people want to take something to heart for no reason I can think of then please do lock this thread.

Thanks.

Nobody here is talking about racing on public roads, we're talking about left foot breaking.

Also do you think because you 'pay' to park on a public road that gives you more justification to whine about what other people do?

• Like 1

Nobody here is talking about racing on public roads, we're talking about left foot breaking.

I think that justifies itself.

And what exactly do you intend on breaking with your left foot?

No one was talking about racing on public roads. Merely practicing certain techniques in normal driving conditions. There was no mention of driving dangerously on the public highways.

If you suddenly decide to practice an emergency stop on the road with traffic behind you, that would be dangerous. Practicing an emergency stop in a driving lesson as a learner driver is necessary and under those conditions, is not dangerous.

I think this thread has run its course - the only recent posts have been of an argumentative nature so I'm going to lock it.