Left Foot Braking

foxy

Been practicing left foot braking in other cars for some years now, but as im driving the lupo harder and faster I decided to give it ago in that the other day.

Problem is when you press the brake it cuts the throttle, does anybody know if its possible to turn this off on the ECU?

Been practicing left foot braking in other cars for some years now, but as im driving the lupo harder and faster I decided to give it ago in that the other day.

Problem is when you press the brake it cuts the throttle, does anybody know if its possible to turn this off on the ECU?

Nope, Can't be turned off with either VAS or VAGCOM.

The only way to do it is by re-wiring the connector on the brake pedal switch only to opperate the brake lights. It's a 4 pin switch so should be relatively easy to re-configure.s

I love double clutch atm!

Your car has a Synchromesh. It shouldn't make any difference whatsoever.

• Like 1

If you change the wiring for the brake light switch it will work for a few days then it will do something very odd, the system learns a new route and then starts to apply the double input safety cut off.

The one and only way to get around this is to remove the connector from the switch and wire a new totally seperate system and seperate wires to the rear lights. thats the only way to stop the ecu taking over.

How about wiring a switch inline to cut off the feed to the ECU so it can be switched off when hooning about and switched back on for daily driving?

Tried that, the ecu picks up another signal feed somehow, even the factory isnt sure how they do this but it does! THE only way is to rewire a new brake system.

Right... Why is anybody even trying to left foot brake???

If you watch motorsport, even drivers with sequential changes, clutch on the down change to save the gearbox. ie right foot brake.

Double de-clutching.... Didn't know they made a pre-war Lupo?? Although I do sometimes double de-clutch, and blip the throttle on the down change when pulling off the road on to my drive,like a ****!

Right... Why is anybody even trying to left foot brake???

If you watch motorsport, even drivers with sequential changes, clutch on the down change to save the gearbox. ie right foot brake.

Double de-clutching.... Didn't know they made a pre-war Lupo?? Although I do sometimes double de-clutch, and blip the throttle on the down change when pulling off the road on to my drive,like a ****!

Left foot braking allows you to stay on the power but restrict the speed a small amount then once you lift off the brake it still has full power input. Compared to having to lift off the power, move foot across and brake, move foot across and the power then wait for the engine to respond.

Its a true racing thing and to be honest shouldnt be done by anyone that cant handle a car in slide, it is dangerous if you get it wrong but very effective when done properly.

As for the double clutching, 99hjhm is correct, its actually doing more harm than good. The extra wear on the clutch isnt worth it as gearboxes are now made with syncromesh so no old crunch boxes.

Edited by 1 Litre Screamer

I did it whilst waiting in a long queue of traffic, was just stretching my right leg I think, so thought I'd let the car roll forwards and brake with my left foot. Didn't work very well, never tried again.

Left foot braking on open roads isn't necessary IMO, if you're driving that hard you should be on a track.

I've played around with it before and it's pretty easy to slide if you're not very 'good' with your left foot.

Only thing worth doing if you want to save the box is blipping the throttle on downshifts to match the revs and give the synchros less work.

• Like 1

I see it useful when high speed cornering to balance the car, and save you coming off the throttle, will vary between cars, and maybe in hill climbing... I just don't see a use for it on the road.

Only thing worth doing if you want to save the box is blipping the throttle on downshifts to match the revs and give the synchros less work.

I like to do that a fair bit, got used to it from my sport, but the throttle was so slow!

ROFL, Great way of explaining it. I've already tried to explain about the syncromesh over msn but he's mechanically inept.

Right, you bunch of retards are going to get both barrels from me in the morning. Im a little drunk right now, but thanks to Al and 1 litre Screamer for your EDUCATED answers.

Edited by foxy

The only way i can change down into 3rd is double clutch with blip, as am sure syncro gone/warn

done the oil, alignment thingy but no better. so just a habit know. coz if you miss that change i end up in neutral till i get chance

for 2nd then

bill

i left foot braked to try and scare some dick behind me; i only tried to touch it a tiny bit to turn the brake lights on cause i was doing 70 on a dual carriage way. will never do it again though as i nearly locked the wheels... think cause my left leg is used to pushing harder on the clutch i couldnt gauge the pressure well enough. scary stuff...