Oil change on Lupo 1.0

What is required tool wise,what needs to be removed.

Its fairly easy on the 1 litre.

You will need:

Parts:

New oil filter

Oil

Tools:

Oil tray

19mm spanner or socket.

Most of the 1 litres didnt have any under car guard so thats a job taken care of straight away. If yours does then its a simple case of a small Torx bolt or 4.

This is easier when the engine is slightly warm as the oil is nice and thin but dont worry if its not warmed.

Start by jacking up the car at the front using the correct jacking points, they are in the handbook but just get the jack under the back bolt of the wishbone, you cant go wrong there. Go in from the side not the front!

Once the car is in the air on one side put a stand under it, slide the oil tray directly below the sump plug and using the 19mm spanner unfasten and remove the plug. Dont drop it in the tray as this is messy!

Remove the stand and lower the car to a level where you arent crushing the tray but the sump is fairly level.

Whilst the oil is draining unfasten the oil filter trying to get the oil tray to catch the oil from the sump and from the filter!

Slightly oil the rubber seal of the new filter with clean oil, once the filter is on turn it as tight as you can or as the filter fitting instruction says on the box, its normally a quarter turn once the rubber seal has mated to the metal.

By now the oil should have finished draining so jack the car back up, slide the stand under and refit the sump plug and tighten, remember that this bolt only has to hold itself in there so you dont have to go crazy when tightening it, just a good pull will do fine.

Remove the oil tray and stand and lower the car, fill with the oil, checking regularly on the dipstick to get the correct level, I normally fill to the max mark at this point. Put the oil cap and dipstick back in place and start the car letting it idle for a minute or two then turn it off.

Recheck and top up the oil as needed, this last process filled the oil filter so it will have taken the level down by a small amount. Once levelled up to just under the maximum clean any stray oil and close the bonnet.

All Done, tools and jack away, trip to the tip with the old oil and filter, wash hands, kettle on and sit back knowing you have saved a bundle of cash and done it all with your own hands.

Edited by 1 Litre Screamer
  • Like 4

There probably the best instructions i have ever read, only thing i would say is change the sump plug seal and take the oil filler cap off and pull the dip stick out a little bit.

The 1 litre has a big oil breather so shouldnt need the cap off but thats by the by. The sump plug should have the nice thick washer on but could be worth having a spare to hand just incase its thinned out.

I always take the cap off, 21 times and it becomes a habit lol.

I know the feeling, i have done thousands of services, to the point of knowing exactly what i need tool wise for almost any vw and audi etc. Whilst on the subject, if anyone needs any more info or help on "how to" then just PM me, if I cant get it from the top of my head then I can fire up Elsa and send over the page files.

yup and a can of engine flush biggrin.gif

NO NO

DO NOT USE ENGINE FLUSH

Modern engines have tighter tolerances and use materails that will be irreversably damaged if you use these products. Engine flushes contain abrasives and chemicals that are designed to break down oil. If you do want to give the engine a clean out then use a cheap oil, do exactly the same as a normal oil change then after a few miles drop the cheap oil out and change the filter and then fill with your oil of choice.

I REPEAT, DO NOT USE ENGINE FLUSH IN ANY MODERN ENGINE.

• Like 1

Its fairly easy on the 1 litre.

You will need:

Parts:

New oil filter

Oil

Tools:

Oil tray

19mm spanner or socket.

Most of the 1 litres didnt have any under car guard so thats a job taken care of straight away. If yours does then its a simple case of a small Torx bolt or 4.

This is easier when the engine is slightly warm as the oil is nice and thin but dont worry if its not warmed.

Start by jacking up the car at the front using the correct jacking points, they are in the handbook but just get the jack under the back bolt of the wishbone, you cant go wrong there. Go in from the side not the front!

Once the car is in the air on one side put a stand under it, slide the oil tray directly below the sump plug and using the 19mm spanner unfasten and remove the plug. Dont drop it in the tray as this is messy!

Remove the stand and lower the car to a level where you arent crushing the tray but the sump is fairly level.

Whilst the oil is draining unfasten the oil filter trying to get the oil tray to catch the oil from the sump and from the filter!

Slightly oil the rubber seal of the new filter with clean oil, once the filter is on turn it as tight as you can or as the filter fitting instruction says on the box, its normally a quarter turn once the rubber seal has mated to the metal.

By now the oil should have finished draining so jack the car back up, slide the stand under and refit the sump plug and tighten, remember that this bolt only has to hold itself in there so you dont have to go crazy when tightening it, just a good pull will do fine.

Remove the oil tray and stand and lower the car, fill with the oil, checking regularly on the dipstick to get the correct level, I normally fill to the max mark at this point. Put the oil cap and dipstick back in place and start the car letting it idle for a minute or two then turn it off.

Recheck and top up the oil as needed, this last process filled the oil filter so it will have taken the level down by a small amount. Once levelled up to just under the maximum clean any stray oil and close the bonnet.

All Done, tools and jack away, trip to the tip with the old oil and filter, wash hands, kettle on and sit back knowing you have saved a bundle of cash and done it all with your own hands.

Thank you for that,any recommendations for the best oil to use,Synthetic,semi etc.

NO NO

DO NOT USE ENGINE FLUSH

Modern engines have tighter tolerances and use materails that will be irreversably damaged if you use these products. Engine flushes contain abrasives and chemicals that are designed to break down oil. If you do want to give the engine a clean out then use a cheap oil, do exactly the same as a normal oil change then after a few miles drop the cheap oil out and change the filter and then fill with your oil of choice.

I REPEAT, DO NOT USE ENGINE FLUSH IN ANY MODERN ENGINE.

Are you a VW techy pall.

i had a feeling you were, i have just started an apprenticeship with VW, got to do my level 2 again tho, other than that it should be good smile.gif.

Good stuff, stick with it and get your master tech then the world is yours!!

Im in parts at the moment, have to do 2 weeks in every department to get a feel for the company apperently, down at the trainng centre in Milton Keynes next week, looking forward to it :), how did you get in to the motorsport side of things?

Im in parts at the moment, have to do 2 weeks in every department to get a feel for the company apperently, down at the trainng centre in Milton Keynes next week, looking forward to it smile.gif, how did you get in to the motorsport side of things?

I have been in motorsport all of my life, I raced karts then went into techy for formula Ford then F3 aswell as some F1 work in the composite development then to VWR.

I now make composite parts and also do alot of race instruction and test driving.