Engine conversion AGU/1.8t

Frankie

i notice the clutch assembly seperates, thats why im hoping it will be reasonably straightforward. I should think safety will be no problem, the assembly bolts direct to golf bulkhead and thats how it will be fitted to the lupo. I'l keep you posted though. My aim is to use as much golf equipment as possible and keep cost down. The lupo was free so trying to keep the end cost as low as possible.

what did you do for wiring? I have the entire golf loom and original lupo loom. I havnt began to look yet but im thinking il be able to just pretty much use the entire golf loom with modification for lights. Do you have a build thread on yours?

I never built a 1.8T, I made a six speed polo gti.

As for the loom, I highly recommend the two andy's at ACR.

They do everyones, ask about.

plug n play, immobiliser out and it's not that expensive.

made some progress with the clutch pedal tonight. The golf clutch pedal assembly bolts straight in.

If you remove the lupo clutch pedal from the pedal box you are left with (as you mentioned when changing for gti kit) the perfect gromit and the studs to bolt it all in. The only modification to be made is to remove the lever point for the old cable pedal (the bit that fails on the pedal boxes)and the bracket for the clutch press sensor (this is built into golf assembly so no need for it there)

Jona should have some more pics to post.

I will look up the two andys and see what they can do for us. It would be nice to be able to just plug it all up!

Update with pics all is explained in the above post

nearly got the engine bay raedy for paint

IMG_0779.jpg

IMG_0778.jpg

IMG_0777.jpg

Just got the other side to do and its ready for paint

Also the hydrolic clutch is sorted as the golf clutch pedal and assemble bolted straight in

IMG_0780.jpg

IMG_0781.jpg

More soon

Update time

Now have the engine damper all fitted now heres some pics

IMG_0790.jpg

Hole tapped to bolt damper to mount

IMG_0789.jpg

Hole in body for boss to bolt the other end of the damper

IMG_0788.jpg

tapped the sleeve for bolt

IMG_0792.jpg

IMG_0791.jpg

and reinforced and all sealed up jus needs a lick of paint now

IMG_0796.jpg

Also had a slight fire :P abit of stray fuel ignited in the chassis leg so had to bust the fire extinguiser out :)

IMG_0795.jpg

All the fab work is now done and the engine drops in and out a treat :)

More soon

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Got some new progress pics of a few bits we've been playing with. Jobs aren't necessarily getting done in an order of priority, just a matter of what we fancy, whats fun and what's affordable (this has to be the tightest budget 1.8t going!)

Original crash bar, we decided to make one that covers only the centre of the legs to leave stacks of space on the inner wings for intercooler pipe work etc. it is also lighter and better for airflow than the original.

image.jpg

image-1.jpg

image-2.jpg

The number plate recess has been cut out to allow the airflow. The 'top trim' or headlamp surround trim that normally clips into the wing ends and sits on top of the bumper is now bolted to the bumper itself for easy removal of both in one piece.

The idea is to make the front end as easy to remove and work on as possible, the bumper will be attached with bonnet pins and side straps.

image-3.jpg

The radiator now mounts to the new crash bar rather than the original big plastic panel

image-6.jpg

Meaning that all of the old panel can be cut away, leaving only the headlamp holding part

image-16.jpg

I got hold of a golf original downpipe that I could use the end of that bolts to the turbo. We sectioned the pipe and welded it to fabricate the tight bend required to turn the pipe before the bulkhead

image-4.jpg

Tacked up before seamed

image-5.jpg

Time for a little break

image-9.jpg

Then we needed to address gear selection. We had the gear selector unit from the golf and just needed to get it suitable mounted. We made up an aluminium box to house it on the tunnel. As it stands it just now needs its seems welding up by an aluminium welder.

image-7.jpg

image-8.jpg

image-10.jpg

Whilst we had some aluminium to play with we set about making a dash pod to house all the dials, kill switch etc.

First a cardboard and gaffa tape moc up

image-11.jpg

Then the measurements were transferred to 6mm ply and pinned together to get a more accurate scribe of the windscreen etc

image-12.jpg

Once the ply box was complete we could then take sum accurate measurements/template from it to make the aluminium item.

This now just needs its seems welding up like the selector box

image-13.jpg

image-14.jpg

image-15.jpg