Please Delete (Now am insured on my own Policy)

Thissy

Hi, im new to the forum so i hope this is in the correct area.

I am 17 and am going to get a seat arosa tdi when i find a good example. I am debating wether to get insured as a named driver on my mums policy and was wondering if anyone knew which companies give reasonable prices with a young named driver on the policy. I hear NFU might be worth a try going to get a quote thrursday. Can anyone offer advice on this? i should have around £1000-£1500 to spend on insurance

any advice appreciated

mike

Edited by Thissy

if your the main driver - make sure they know this! wink.gif

I will be the main driver but as far as i can gather as long as the car isn't modified the insurance company couldn't really prove that i was the main driver. I was intending to register my mum as the cars owner too would this make any difference? I know a few people who are insured in this way and have had no problems claiming for bumps etc

mike

Edited by Thissy

It's up to you if you want to do it this way but insurance companies will always try and weasel their way out of a payout if they smell a rat. If you are in fact the person driving the car the majority of the time but you imply that isn't the case then you are guilty of giving misleading information to alter the policy thereby making your cover completely useless if they can find any proof.

Plus the fact that you have already posted on a public forum that you are going to deceive the insurance company isn't a great start ;).

Up to you though :)

Edited by Ashley

A grand for insurance as a 17 year old male on a 1.4 TDi? You are having a laugh mate!

Not really mate had a word with a lad today who is 17 and is insured as a named driver on his dads policy with NFU driving a 1.4 mazda with 75bhp (im unsure of the model) and he pays £520 annually. Its not really a problem if i have to pay up to £1500 the 1st year should be able to get some more funds december.

mike

Edited by Thissy

Key words: 'on his dads policy'.

P.S. Turbo diesels were more expensive to insure when I was shopping for insurance at 17.

Edited by NOCK

Oh yeah sorry, I forgot that he is going to try and fraud the system.

Hardly frauding the system. When your at 6th form 5 days a week and earning £80 a week working at a pub weeknights; buying a car is hard enough without having to fork out £2000 for insurance. If i had a full time job i would happily get my own policy. Has anyone got insured this was for their first few years driving and do you save a great deal by doing so?

mike

Hardly frauding the system. When your at 6th form 5 days a week and earning £80 a week working at a pub weeknights; buying a car is hard enough without having to fork out £2000 for insurance. If i had a full time job i would happily get my own policy. Has anyone got insured this was for their first few years driving and do you save a great deal by doing so?

mike

You will pay for it later, as you will want a tasty car on your own policy - but you wont have any NCB.

If you cant afford the insurance, either get a cheaper car thats easier to insure or save up.

And it is fraud, plain and simple

Edited by Defcon5

Hardly frauding the system. When your at 6th form 5 days a week and earning £80 a week working at a pub weeknights; buying a car is hard enough without having to fork out £2000 for insurance.

Same as it's hardy stealing something because you can't afford it?

Edited by Philplop

I was a named main driver when I started out... Insurance companys like it as they don't have to hand out no claims...

I'm paying for it now only having 2 or 3 years NCB rather than 4.

I'm sorry but it is fraud as you are lying to alter the price of the policy. It is up to you what you want to do but i have heard stories that if you're a "named driver" and have an accident then the insurance have a good old dig just to check you haven't been lying.

As has been said perhaps you should consider being honest and buying a car you can afford to insure and run without having to resort to lying?

It's partly due to people lying to insurance companies that premiums are so damn high for people who are honest.

Ashley

P.S To correct you Mazda don't make a 1.4 petrol engine that puts out 75 BHP. The mazda 2 has a 78 BHP engine and the Mazda 3 has an 82 BHP engine. If the lad is insured on a Mazda 3 then that is insurance group 3, lower than a TDi Lupo / Arosa. Just a small point to add.

Edited by Ashley

One of my friends was in an accident and didn't get a pay out because he was the named driver but it was his car. Apparently he told the insurance company this when he took out the policy, and they said it was fine. :S

To be honest, I went down as a named driver on my first year of insurance on my car (I didn't know any better then, didn't have a forum full of nice car people to advise me it was illegal :lol:), and I regret it. Obviously I would have been buggered if I'd have been in an accident, but I'm also paying now as my insurance isn't as cheap as it should be, due to having less no claims.

• Like 1

One of my friends was in an accident and didn't get a pay out because he was the named driver but it was his car. Apparently he told the insurance company this when he took out the policy, and they said it was fine. :S

To be honest, I went down as a named driver on my first year of insurance on my car (I didn't know any better then, didn't have a forum full of nice car people to advise me it was illegal :lol:), and I regret it. Obviously I would have been buggered if I'd have been in an accident, but I'm also paying now as my insurance isn't as cheap as it should be, due to having less no claims.

X2 on everything.

Insurance companies seem to be really sharp these days on named drivers.

Sounds like it might not be such a good idea after all then. Oh and i am sorry "ashley" i think people get rough idea when i said 75bhp, noting better t do but correct me over a few bhp. Fair enough giving me your view thats what the thread is hear for lets stick to the point.

mike

Sounds like it might not be such a good idea after all then. Oh and i am sorry "ashley" i think people get rough idea when i said 75bhp, noting better t do but correct me over a few bhp. Fair enough giving me your view thats what the thread is hear for lets stick to the point.

mike

Mike, I work for a well known Insurance company and to be honest, coming on here and getting sarcy with someone isn't the best way to go about things. I know Ashley's not given you the answer you were hoping for but we are trying to help you.

On topic, I agree with Phil, my first car was a Nova and I was on my mum's policy. Unfortunately when it came to getting my own insurance I was still quoted £1210 with Norwich Union as a 19yr old girl on a 1.4S 75bhp Lupo - and girls apparently get cheaper insurance! This was reduced to £795 with my pass plus, but this was also when pass plus cost a fair amount and was worth more than the paper it was written on.

Ultimately, if you're looking to get insured on a car and have your mum/dad as the main Policyholder and your insurance find out in the event of an accident you are screwed. There are no two ways about it. If the car's registered in your name or the payments come out of your account or any other reason they can find they will chuck your claim out. I've seen it happen, I've had to tell people we're not dealing with their claim and offer to get their tangled heap of metal that used to be their car delivered back to them with no money for repairs.

Good luck with getting a car that you enjoy and you can afford but I'd say to buy a cheap car and run that around for the first year or two, then get a better car - lupo/arosa if you wish and don't lose sight of your goal. A cheap first car is a means to an end really, it sounds like a complete cliche but it will feel so much better when you've bought and insured your own car with your own money and you're happy with it.

Hope this helps! :)

• Like 2

Nicely put Sarah.

Am I right in thinking that he wouldn't earn NCB either, irrespective of being the main driver on someone elses policy? If so, it seems a no brainer to bite the bullet and get your own policy from the off.

If funds are a problem, think again about buying the car in the first place. How are you going to afford day to day running costs?

"fronting" is actually an illegal act and companies will void your insurance if they can prove your doing it. I did it for my first year of driving with my dad being owner of the car, and paying the payments, and it was fine, However i wish personally that i never, i should of "bit the bullet" and went straight out and got insured my self, because the fact is if your modding a car you want too be with a company who are decent with this stuff like Brentacre or HIC, or someone along them lines, and none of these companies accept "named driving no claims", meaning your insurance is always gunna be sky high.

Saying that im now with a company, on my own policy, all mods declared, with my girlfriend on too, and they have accepted my 1 years named driving no claims, im 19 and paying around £1300. Even when i was on my dads policy the insurance was £1250, so id recommend paying that little bit extra it'll be better in the long run :).

P.s if i remember rightly you cant get insured at 17 with NFU yourself. Your parents have too have something to do with the company, whether its support them or be insured by them themselves i cant remember.

its not nececeraly the main driver that gets the no claims bonus. its the policy holder, but thats really messed up to have the policy holder not being the main driver lol

the way i look at it - if your going to lie about one part of your insurance, there not going to pay out in the event of a crash. your therefore wasting the money that you are paying to the insurance company. soo if your going to lie about one part - you might aswell lie about every other part to get it as cheap as possible....orr just go all out and not bother at all.

Ok cheers for the comments guys it much appreciated. I hope you guys didn't get the wrong impression of me, the whole idea of the tread was to establish wether it was a good idea and what ££ could be saved by doing so. Its not as if im some p***k trying to get insured on a stupidly quick car at a young age, its just i dont have a full time job yet and therefore affording insurance is difficult. As far as i can gather many of you did the exact thing i was proposing when you first past.

thanks again, mike

• Like 1