Premium fuels

marcusgrant

Just wondering what peoples opinions are on the best one really and what you run on.

I normally run on BP ultimate, but this weekend I got Shell Vpower and I've got it into my head that the sport runs even better on this!

I use Shell normal diesel. I've tried Vpower diesel but didn't notice any difference with speed or range.

Fuel light for me normally comes on at 260-265 miles. I used Jet Station's fuel once and the fuel light came on at 230 miles. Needless to say i'll never be going there again.

Plus Shell's fuel is cheaper here than any others!

For the Scoob i've never used anything but Vpower so I don't know how that performs on the crap stuff.

Corsa I always used Vpower! Tried other ones but Vpower came out best.

V-power is 99ron now and its only around 1.09pl. Its only that tescos 99ron and sainsburys 98ron i fuel my car up with.

Every blue moon i put £5 worth of **** fuel in at the texaco i live next to, just to get me down to the shell garage lol

I always get really annoyed wen i see people with type R's and scoobys putting in 95ron fuel. it makes my blood boil!

Edited by 2001gti

lol, If people actually bothered to read the owners manual (for the GIT at least) it sais that 95 can be used but at reduced performance and if doing so do not labour the engine and avoid high revs...........

maximum ocatane all the time!

There has been so many tests on premium fuels, the usual outcome indicates minor performance gains but your hit harder in the pocket for doing it.

I stick with Shell for both diesel and petrol (mainly because they are the cheapest in my area by a long way) and always use normal fuels. My Fabia VRS runs @ 58+mpg and the Lupo GTI @ 38mpg.

In my opinion, for everyday driving, premium fuels aren't worth the money.

• Like 1

There has been so many tests on premium fuels, the usual outcome indicates minor performance gains but your hit harder in the pocket for doing it.

Did they test them on cars that are designed to be run on 98 RON though? You won't see an improvement on a 95RON tuned car.

I've always used V-Power. :)

V-POWER FTW its all i really use i don't really care that it costs more it makes very little difference to the pocket but my sport loves it. In fact every car i have used it in seems to have worked better how it should. I would not use any real cheap tesco 95 or similar as I have been told and belive it's not as good for your engine.

normally just put the standard bp fuel in as there is a bp in my village, or when i have a 5p tesco voucher i put their premium 99 stuff in,

il treat myself to a tank of v-power after iv used my next 5p voucher ;)

Marcus, what shell do you use?

Ta

I always use supermarket fuel. Tried Shell V-poer some time ago in the Mini and Ibiza for three tanks on the trot. No perceivable difference at all.

Why the different fuel on the different cars?

The passat's a bigger engine and gets used for longer distances, so gets the better fuel :)

Also the nearest shell garage is 7 miles away, whereas the nearest tesco is 200 yards from my work, and given the lupo hardly ever gets out of the county, its easier giving it tesco super.

normally just put the standard bp fuel in as there is a bp in my village, or when i have a 5p tesco voucher i put their premium 99 stuff in,

il treat myself to a tank of v-power after iv used my next 5p voucher ;)

Marcus, what shell do you use?

Ta

Well i got the Vpower I'm using at the moment from Godstone, in Surrey area lol when I went to get my interior.. I think I'm going to go out my way on the way home from work to the shell garage on the Harlestone Road, near the Hopping Hill pub to get it next, or there is a shell in Daventry... thats not too far from you mate.

My Megane has only ever been run on V-Power from Shell, as has my Lupo Sport since I've owned it anyway.

To be honest for the minimal mileage I'm doing, I don't mind paying the premium for V-Power for the peace of mind. Also I am aware that Megane 225s can have a habit of going into 'limp mode' when not run on 97RON+.