Exhaust Emission Warning Lamp

Hello

This warning lamp has illuminated on the dashboard of my car. The manual states that this lights up if a fault has occured that reduces the qulaity of the exhaust gas (eg Lambda probe fault) and that I should drive carefully to the next qualified dealer. I had the car running whilst I was sat in the car park and it illuminated, as the enarest dealership is about 30miles away from here am I likely to damage the car by driving there?

James

Thank you. I hope so! I wondered if it could be sitting still with the engine running but not moving that may have caused the problem.

ive had my lupo coming up to 3 years when i first had it, it was on and off like no tomorrow took it the garage sorted for couple of weeks then come on couple days later off and wouldnt see it for couple of months over, then one day it just been on, now been 2years easy take it the garage they get it to switch off then couple days later its back on so... Lambda probe on the second cat, but not having otha problems so jsut got use to having it on now but am going get it sorted so (maybe)

find some one with vag com to scan it the dealers will charge a pretty penny to do it.

it dont do the car any harm, but you may have reduced engine power etc,

Thank you all. When I drove back to the hotel last night the car did not start as easily as it usually does, it seemed to lack power and seemed generally rough, this may have been psychological as there was a warning lamp on! I took it into Des Winks of Scarborough this morning. In no time they had run a diagnosis and identified that the fault was caused by a coolant temperature sensor. This has been replaced now and the car is running normally, the dealer was very helpful they have advised that I should keep a close eye on the coolant levels for a few days to ensure there isn't a drop in the level, they did note that there was evidence that the coolant expansion tank had "vented" some fluid recently.