Lupo Race Build

truCido

Yeah it is a good class and very popular for spectators.

Affordable isn't a word I'd be using right now lol!! Then again I've just shelled out quite a bit for roll cage, roll bar, bucket seat, etc etc.

I'm about to buy my race suit, gloves, shoes, helmet, fireproof unders which is going to come to about £1000 :s

Edited by truCido

Yeah it is a good class and very popular for spectators.

Affordable isn't a word I'd be using right now lol!! Then again I've just shelled out quite a bit for roll cage, roll bar, bucket seat, etc etc.

I'm about to buy my race suit, gloves, shoes, helmet, fireproof unders which is going to come to about £1000 :s

The saloon car series at Castle Combe is amazing, best racing I think I've watched. When I went in August ish time there were 3 Evo's each time a different one leading each lap as they came past, race un-suprisingly ended when one had a monster shut with a A3? Think the only VW was a Vento VR6.

Don't buy a helmet untill you have the car finished, specs change so often with the MSA it's silly.

Yeah theres always some good racing, although the Evo's wont be in the series anymore as Ajec Racing are starting their own series for 4wd cars. Yeah the Vento is the only VW in there!

The specs have just changed for the MSA so its not a problem, plus they have to give quite a lot of notice (like 2 years) when getting rid of a specification for helmets.

Right then, cage arrived yesterday (at last), after a few problems with postage its finally been delivered.

my ARB has been sent back to Jabbasport due to a manufacturing defect but hopefully that won't take too long to solve!

I've also been speaking to a very good engine tuner down in Cornwall but I'm thinking due to costs (I need about an extra £2000) I'll have to leave the engine pretty standard for this season.

• 2 weeks later...

So I went to the Autosport show at the NEC on Saturday to buy a new things and managed to get my seat and side mounts and a OMP Race Suit, also had my medical there! I wanted to get a few more things like helmet and stuff but it was so busy I got a bit fed up to be honest lol. I booked my ARDs test as well today to get my National B license :D

Oh and I signed up to the championship at Autosport! Looking like a huge grid as usual this year :D

So I went to the Autosport show at the NEC on Saturday to buy a new things and managed to get my seat and side mounts and a OMP Race Suit, also had my medical there! I wanted to get a few more things like helmet and stuff but it was so busy I got a bit fed up to be honest lol. I booked my ARDs test as well today to get my National B license :D

Oh and I signed up to the championship at Autosport! Looking like a huge grid as usual this year :D

Wow, good progress.

I really need to get my medical done, atleast when your young it lasts for years. Then I need to book my ARDs test, but I've spent far to much on the Lupo... and can't really be asked now.

Any more progress on the car??

My medical really didn't take very long, my doctors wanted about £120 I think, it was £80 at the show so I thought stuff it I'll get it done.

The cage is hopefully being fitted next week, when I get paid on Friday I'll be ordering the discs, pads, hoses, gloves, boots and a battery!

My medical really didn't take very long, my doctors wanted about £120 I think, it was £80 at the show so I thought stuff it I'll get it done.

The cage is hopefully being fitted next week, when I get paid on Friday I'll be ordering the discs, pads, hoses, gloves, boots and a battery!

lol.. I think my dads slips the doctor £25. NHS?! :rolleyes:

Decided where you're putting the battery? Passenger footwell?

lol.. I think my dads slips the doctor £25. NHS?! :rolleyes:

Decided where you're putting the battery? Passenger footwell?

haha nice one. I would have tried it but I've only ever seen my doctor once and that was about two years ago lol!! and he seemed one of those guys that wouldn't do it.

Well I've been told to get as much weight to the back as possible however I will get it corner weighed and then decide for sure but yeah its look like either the passenger footwell or the boot

Another update - The cage is going to someone else for fitting in 2 weeks, I've had the seat replaced with the right one and managed to get some 6 point harnesses at cost price for the inconvenience. And I've got the ARB back!

The sunroof is out, I've got an alu sheet to rivet in place before it goes to have the cage fitted just need to get the sheet cut. I've also bought a little camera to record the racing :)

Edited by truCido

I managed to spend a lot of money today, bought my helmet, boots, gloves and also nomex - long johns, long sleeve top, balaclava and socks! Demon tweeks gave me a bit of a discount but it still hurts the bank balance lol

Made a litte mistake last weekend lol...I removed the sunroof last weekend with the intention of rivetting on an alu plate this weekend however I got caught up and didnt get the sheet fitted. Anyway checked the car yesterday and there were 2 huge puddles in the drivers and passengers footwells :( Guess those 2 car covers I had covering it weren't enough!!! Anyway after drying the car up and removing the water we had a bit of a play and removed a bit of wiring, had a mess around under the engine bay, removed the battery, and took the front bumper off to get a better look around

IMAGE_184.jpg

And who knows what the rest of the wiring does :P

IMAGE_187.jpg

IMAGE_186.jpg

Had a check on ETKA and the sport has a 20mm front arb and the GTI a 22mm

Yeh had a feeling they were a bit thicker = stiffer

Not sure what the torsional stiffness of the Lupo actually is.

Looking at the NCAP scores I'd imagine they are pretty impressive.

Does anyone have an old road test with the figures ?

Would be interesting to know the difference between Standard

and GTI models and then see how much difference the custom cage makes

Can't find it on the net.

Static torsional stiffness of the Fox is 17941 Nm

when you bear in mind that the MK1 MX-5 has 6000Nm/degrees of torsional stiffness you

can see how chassis stiffness has moved on in recent years

Also the Lupo 3L has a much flatter underbody which improved its drag rating

no idea wether that is because it had some kind of full length undertray

(I'd imagine not as that would be adding weight)Might be worth checking ETKA

and comparing the floors though and see if anything is transferable .. could all equal valuable tenths of a second :P

Edited by Jowey

I managed to spend a lot of money today, bought - long johns

Pix of you modelling them ? haha :lol:

Edited by Jowey

• 3 weeks later...

You'll be glad to know I passed my ARD's test and I should have my actual license today or tommorow!

Just been up to the place thats fitting my roll cage to get my seat fitted and thought I'd take a few pics, cage should be finished tomorrow and then its just got to be sprayed!

Sorry for the fuzzy pictures, the camera on my phone isnt great!

IMAG0210-1.jpg

IMAG0205-1.jpg

IMAG0206-1.jpg

IMAG0207-1.jpg

IMAG0208-1.jpg

IMAG0209-1.jpg