INSURANCE nearly 18 driving test is coming soon

TSM1992

I know some people have pulled off the bonus accelerator schemes, but I'm not one of them. I had two 10 month policies with Elephant, then when I moved to Brentacre they said they would accept it, and only gave me 1 years no claims. My sister has 5 years no claims and has only held her licence just over 4 years. Surely they'll suss that out?

be a named driver

That's called 'Fronting', and is fraud. If you have an accident then your insurance company might not pay out.

Edited by Philplop

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love being old :lol:

Yep, Im 23 and the car is is fully declared with adrian flux, list is as long as my arm, registered at 250bhp, 1 at fault calim 1 years ncb.... £740 :lol:

go with co-op insurance they arent a broker so they are pretty good but be a named driver and just put your cars 'worth' up so you can drop it low and stuff just dont touch the engine until your on ur own insurance thats how us 17 year olds do it :) 1300 on a gti baby

tarrier

Might aswell stick a banner to the top of your car and say look at me, im fronting, my insurance is void, come and get me!

Seriously some people cant even do the basics when it comes to fronting, i mean ive seen it where people have had the v5 in their name, car payments out of their bank, a personal plate on with something that resembles their name and loads of personal belongings in the car.

But they go put the insurance in daddies name when he has a car and is insured on mammies car too. So why the hell would he need to be the named driver on a third car if he already has two possible options before using the sons or daughters car.

The moment they crash they are screwed over, and they wonder what they have done wrong.

Ive never done it, i got my own policy as soon as i could to build up the ncb asap

Im 18 and with elephant, got 3 points and insurance is few quid under 1800, no ncb, no pass plus and my own policy. They offer the bonus accelarator things aswell.

on my first car it cost me a little over 500 quid as a provisional holder but went up to 1200 when i passed my test. most companies tend to put the premium up a fair bit when u pass.

on my first car it cost me a little over 500 quid as a provisional holder but went up to 1200 when i passed my test. most companies tend to put the premium up a fair bit when u pass.

You dont have your mum telling you to slow down anymore :P

Its worth haggling with them too. My brother got insured fully comp on his brand new fiesta zetec S yesterday and they quoted him £2000. An hour of him and my mum being on the phone to them, changing excess's, removing windscreen cover etc. and he is paying £1005 fully comp, 19 years old with 1 years no claims. (Pretty cheap considering its a £15k+ car)

Edited by Dann

Its worth haggling with them too. My brother got insured fully comp on his brand new fiesta zetec S yesterday and they quoted him £2000. An hour of him and my mum being on the phone to them, changing excess's, removing windscreen cover etc. and he is paying £1005 fully comp, 19 years old with 1 years no claims. (Pretty cheap considering its a £15k+ car)

FIFTEEN GRAND! On a fiesta?

This is 15k worth of car http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1130389.htm

Oh I know, I nearly had him in a golf but he's a ford fanboy :P. To be fair though, thats "list price" straight off the factory line with all the optional extras he had, it arrived with 8 miles on the clock!

Im 17, half way through my current policy with admiral.

they allow me to modify,

but want £108 to lower (max 50 mil)

£120 fot window tints (which cost £100!)

my plan next year is to get a toyota celica.. insurance will be 2.5k (claim made) but im paying 1.8k just now for my 1l arosa...

Don't forget, regional differences make for much of the extra cost to insurance.

go with co-op insurance they arent a broker so they are pretty good but be a named driver and just put your cars 'worth' up so you can drop it low and stuff just dont touch the engine until your on ur own insurance thats how us 17 year olds do it :) 1300 on a gti baby

tarrier

Let me get this right. You've inflated the cars value (which you premium will reflect) so that you can cover the costs of modifications, which I'm presuming are declared, in the hope that if the car is a total loss, you'll get your valuation back. Unless you have agreed value, that's not how insurance works. You will get the fair market value for the car so you can go and buy another of the same age and condition.

As for fronting, it can be done legitimately if the named driver is declared as the main driver. The downside is that premiums reflect that and you still don't build up an NCB. It's a false economy.

The new Fiesta and Ka are a total rip off. End of. If VW and SEAT got ther act together, the Polo and Ibiza should be slaying them in volumes.

Edited by IDGM

lol fronting, i have declared that i will be driving the car so if i was to crash then i would be insured as i am 'allowed' to drive the car thats the point. how would they know i am the main driver and considering most 17 year olds have to do this now the insurance companies know about it. if it was illegal they wouldn't let people do it. i have put the price of the car to 5000- 10k which covers mods like rims no engine mods.

casper my insurance is not void as i am a named driver with no mods currently , basicly meaning i can drive the car when i want but i am not the main driver. there is no way for them to know as i said before?

lol fronting, i have declared that i will be driving the car so if i was to crash then i would be insured as i am 'allowed' to drive the car thats the point. how would they know i am the main driver and considering most 17 year olds have to do this now the insurance companies know about it. if it was illegal they wouldn't let people do it. i have put the price of the car to 5000- 10k which covers mods like rims no engine mods.

casper my insurance is not void as i am a named driver with no mods currently , basicly meaning i can drive the car when i want but i am not the main driver. there is no way for them to know as i said before?

You are digging yourself a big hole, just stop.

Your insurance is not valid as you have not disclosed several major material facts (namely that you are the main driver, and whatever mods you havnt declared)

You really think the insurance co will believe that your gran is the main driver of this car? Yes they will take your business - when it comes to claim time they will just give you two fingers and pocket the cash.

The value you give the car will not have any bearing on the payout you receive, that is based of current market values and condition of the car.

As IDGM said, you could have your gran as the proposer of the policy and you as the main driver, but that is pointless

Most 17 year olds do not do this, dont try and justify your fraud by making things up.

You are digging yourself a big hole, just stop.

Your insurance is not valid as you have not disclosed several major material facts (namely that you are the main driver, and whatever mods you havnt declared)

You really think the insurance co will believe that your gran is the main driver of this car? Yes they will take your business - when it comes to claim time they will just give you two fingers and pocket the cash.

The value you give the car will not have any bearing on the payout you receive, that is based of current market values and condition of the car.

As IDGM said, you could have your gran as the proposer of the policy and you as the main driver, but that is pointless

Most 17 year olds do not do this, dont try and justify your fraud by making things up.

i'm not diggin myself a hole im just explaining what i have done, so look my nan rang up and asked all this questions before paying 1300 pounds yes i am not the main driver but i am allowed to drive the car and i could have just been driving it by chance when i had a crash.

i belive you are 22 years old so im pretty sure i know more 17 year olds then you do and alot of my friends , people i work with and even on top gear they did it lol?

to me you just seem to be a little bitter that a 17 year old is driving the same car as you.

tarrier

Wondered when the 'your just jealous' response would come. Im not bitter about the car, what car it is makes no difference. The fact is you are committing fraud and bragging about it. Thats the top and bottom of it really.

im 19 and know a few 17-18 year olds

i dont know anyone who is a 'named driver'

alot of people have mom/dad as named drivers on their policy

correct the insurance company cant check how often you drive the car

but if they belive its yours in the case of an acident

do you think that the will :

A. give you cash

or

B. find out where its registerd, where the insurance says its kept an not loose money

i mean will they belive you just so happend to get hit driving your nans, slammed lupo gti

just be careful and think yea.

just saying how it sounds and to be honest the insurance companies are fraudsters themselves so i dont particularly care that much neither should you

tarrier.

ps loopz your right but it is in my nans name she lives near me and she is a relatively young nan aswell lol i dunno why people take it to heart so much.

Edited by Tarrier

put your cars 'worth' up so you can drop it low and stuff
i have put the price of the car to 5000- 10k which covers mods like rims no engine mods.

I know somebody has already said this, but you didn't really acknowledge it.

That is not how insurance and modifications work. You have to tell them exactly what modifications you carry out to the car, no matter how small.

I don't know why they ask how much the car is worth, they know how much it's worth and they'll only pay out market value in a claim, what you tell them it's worth makes no difference to the payout.

just saying how it sounds and to be honest the insurance companies are fraudsters themselves so i dont particularly care that much neither should you

tarrier.

ps loopz your right but it is in my nans name she lives near me and she is a relatively young nan aswell lol i dunno why people take it to heart so much.

So i take it your nan is the owner of the car too? I thought you had to own the car to be the policy holder?

The reason people take it to heart is this main reason: You do realise if you hit someone, hurt someone or kill someone they or the family willl not get there car repaired or get a pay out unless they take you to court, as it will be the same as being hit by an un-insured driver.

Just put yourself in there shoes, how would you feel?

EDIT: I dont know what its like with modifications with your car, But for mine to be covered i had to prove that i had bought them, and prove the price of them by recipt, for them to even guarante they will give me the money for them if they were to pay out.

Edited by CasperGTI

defcon how sad do you sound jeez, so your saying you always go at 70 on a motorway because your a law abiding citizen. abit out of context but same thing really.

and casper if someone hits me they pay for the damage i hit them the insurance companies pays for it , i cant live life thinking what if i crash into a family saloon.

and yes i know i have to declare the mods i have and how much there worth but it worked out cheaper to up the price of the cars worth then add on the mods when i get them and it doesnt change the policy that much.

plus i am not limited to the amount of time i am allowed to drive the car because i am a additional driver not a named driver i just found out.

tarrier

and yes i know i have to declare the mods i have and how much there worth but it worked out cheaper to up the price of the cars worth then add on the mods when i get them and it doesnt change the policy that much.

So viod straight away, for not declaring a mod.

Upping the price of the car does nothing as you will only normally get list price of the car if you need a pay out. Unless you have GAP insurance, which im guessing you dont have, as thats normally an extra through a different company.

I hope you find out the hard way, but not hurting anyone in the process.

Tarrier - You are effectively driving without insurance because you have invalidated your insurance by not conforming to the terms & conditions imposed when you signed that policy schedule & paid the premium. You're as bad as someone who's driving a car with no MOT, no tax and no insurance in the eyes of the law.

If someone else hits you, you are still driving without insurance which is still against the law and you could still be prosecuted for it. Your insurance company would also have the right to refuse to deal with your claim because you weren't technically insured with them at the time.

It is not worth the risk or the hassle if you ask me.

Have we worked out who has their name on the v5 yet, is it on finance (if it is who is paying out of their bank account).

If you crash you will get endless questions asking when and why you use the car, they will check who paid for the tax or mot (so best not pay for it on your card)

You will only get the guide price if you crash and if it gets checked by the insurance and they find mods it will bevoided on the spot.

Plus they will check for who keeps their belongings in their car,i dare say your granny wouldnt normally have the arctic monkeys and the killers latest albums and a nice cd player in the car. Seriously little things like that will make them think it is your car and your number one driver so they will dig deeper.